Mass Effect - Retrospective @ The Koalition

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The Koalition website staff has a new retrospective article for Mass Effect this week.

The idea of going into space and exploring new worlds and new cultures always fascinated me. This is why I love Star Trek so much. Playing games set in space always frustrated me however. For the most part, you go to alien worlds and just kill everything that moves. I could never really take the time to explore the planets and talk to the various species since it was all about the pew-pew-pew.

Then Bioware dropped Mass Effect unto the world. It’s almost as if they had a secret meeting and were like: “Hey, you know that space game Tony’s always wanted? Let’s make that!” I heart these guys.
More information.

Lol, console gamers who never played KotOR series. :rolleyes:

Lol, console gamers who never played KotOR series. :rolleyes:

Idk.. both games had their strengths and weaknesses. I liked that Mass Effect had a degree of exploration with the Mako even if it wasn't very strong. KotOR was a lot more linear in its level design.

I wish I didn't read this article.
Also, until Dragon Age Origins (and Skyrim later), I believe Mass Effect had some of the best DLC in a role-playing. The two DLC’s were short, but they added onto the experience and gave us something to look forward to with the sequel.

1. Pinnacle Station is grinding facility that allows player to buy the best equipment for cheap. Obvious pay2win material. On the positive side, you don't need Bioware points to buy it and it doesn't have any impact on the trilogy ending.

2. IIRC the second DLC was named Bring down the sky, it *has* and impact on trilogy ending (war asset points depending on your choice how to deal with terrorists), it's super short but on the positive side it's free (on PC).

Neither of these two added to experience. Both are garbage. Were not the worst DLC in ME series (Arrival presented Shepard as selftalking lunatic), but came close.

I wish I didn't read this article.

1. Pinnacle Station is grinding facility that allows player to buy the best equipment for cheap. Obvious pay2win material. On the positive side, you don't need Bioware points to buy it and it doesn't have any impact on the trilogy ending.

2. IIRC the second DLC was named Bring down the sky, it *has* and impact on trilogy ending (war asset points depending on your choice how to deal with terrorists), it's super short but on the positive side it's free (on PC).

Neither of these two added to experience. Both are garbage. Were not the worst DLC in ME series (Arrival presented Shepard as selftalking lunatic), but came close.

I tend to disagree. Pinnacle Station is forgetable but BdtS provided 2 good hours of gameplay that easly beat any other non-main-story Mako mission. Yes, it was mostly made with stock assets, but did not have this taste of random as the others had.

Kinda liked it.

Maybe we should have a poll "the worst ME series mission DLC"? :)
Arrival would win it for sure, but I bet these two would be runner-ups. :D

Weren't both of those DLCs free anyway? "Bring Down the Sky" was some kind of activation goodie, and Pinnacle Station must have been given for free shortly after release or on the PC.

Idk.. both games had their strengths and weaknesses. I liked that Mass Effect had a degree of exploration with the Mako even if it wasn't very strong. KotOR was a lot more linear in its level design.
Oh I didn't mean I didn't like ME, in the article he says, ME was the first. Hence the reference to his inexperience. ;)

Back
Top Bottom