Risen - New Hero Revealed

I guess we are at the point now of gobbling and overanalyzing any newsbits on Risen in anticipation of release ...

I was hoping for a a busty chick in chain bikini but it seems that this will have to do :(

Wait, what was the name of your ship before you crashed? The Normandy? :)

Kidding of course, it looks great, he likes a sufficiently generic enough white male for it not to be a distraction and for me to be able to enjoy the game ( I'm serious ).

Went back for a second look just at the environment.

Good: The ocean, the waves, the sound, that might be the best large water body I've ever seen.

Not So Good: The ground texture for the dark sand(?), it was way too uniform. I dunno, maybe it's just the low-res video.

Still, I'm excited for the game, hopefully it's not buggy.

I tire of out-sized weapons and armor, the kind it looks like it would take two men and a crane to put on or wield. It looks dumb.
Dial it down a little and go for just a smidge of reality. I'm not saying this game will be guilty of said offense, but some games are. It needs to stop.

glad i preordered it, cant wait to play. even bought a new CPU and a SSDrive

Wrong move. It will take like a year or so and quite some effort on the modding community's part to make the game eventually playable.

Wrong move. It will take like a year or so and quite some effort on the modding community's part to make the game eventually playable.
huh?
How do you know it's gonna be buggy?

I assume that armor is something you can get later in the game. Please don't tell me he washes up on shore like that…
He doesn't. The only thing the hero has are the rags he is wearing.

Your infos seem to be quite outdated.

Your infos seem to be quite outdated.

To be fair: as long as the game isn't out, every opinion about the (non) buggyness of the game is speculation, not "infos". So it can't be outdated.

We have no guarantee that Risen will *not* be buggy.

According to my experience the majority of RPGs is buggy on release and need one or two patches to be playable without annoying bugs.

(See e. g. Divinity 2 and Venetica as last examples...)

True, but if somebody like the PC Games, who took a lot of flak for their G3 review, says Risen is nearly bug-free, after playing it for 40 hours, this counts for something. So far everybody who played it says he didn't notice anything serious. I'm not aware of a single opposite example.

True, but if somebody like the PC Games, who took a lot of flak for their G3 review, says Risen is nearly bug-free, after playing it for 40 hours, this counts for something. So far everybody who played it says he didn't notice anything serious. I'm not aware of a single opposite example.

I aggree that this is good evidence.
However, I remember somebody (may be even here on the watch) reminded people that some pre-release reviewers said exactly the same about Gothic3.

Foobars report of the deepsilver BBQ event did mention a few small bugs.
The small bugs were witnessed by Dev' members present.

1. No earthquake rumble sound when on surface
2. A wall with no collision check (could walk through world mesh)
3. A beaten warrior uncontrolled, remained lying on ground with full health bar) did not wake in fortress as a new recruit as intended.

http://www.worldofrisen.de/article_102_2.htm

Agreed nothing serious and should hopefully have been corerrected on release.

The BBQ version is the one shown at the GC. DS or PB said at the GC that it was ca. 4 weeks old and did not include the latest improvements.

Yes i know, i've been following every stage of the game, the examples mentioned were indeed to show how there were some trivial bugs noted early on as in a similar situation with G3 - but that was a different problem in as much the whole project was "uncorrelated" and would take quite some time to correct.

I have a "feeling" Risen will be RELATIVELY free of technical problems.

That said, I do recall a certain mr. Gorath proclaiming the exact same thing about Gothic 3 - and I remember having a debate with him, about how sometimes things are not what they seem and everything pointed towards G3 having problems.

So, I've learned to stay sceptical and be prepared for unforeseen issues :)

Back
Top Bottom