Skyrim Idea place to store my loots/collections

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
I've just always went into the toolset and tweaked or placed certain chests in the guilds and used them for storage. I've had my stuff disappear before using a chest in someone's house (morrowind), a ton of crafting ingredients and stuff I planned to use later. Quite tragic ='.'=

I also used to use Shenk's Shovel as a spot, upstairs i laid out all the different weapons and stuff I came across all over the tables. Then, I discovered the toolset....

Oblivion and Fallout 3 (and one assumes New Vegas) do wipe non-owned containers

Well...no, one just doesn't assume. One generally verifies something is the case to be consistent and fair. Going by the wiki for New Vegas - it's worded differently (and admittedly quite more vaguely) than it is for Fallout 3.

"Some containers are referred to as "unsafe", items placed in an unsafe container will disappear over time. "Safe" containers will never respawn their contents, retaining the contents that are deposited in them".

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_containers_and_storage

From my experience, the dumpster near the general store in Goodsprings never lost any of the items I placed in it. If the wiki is accurate, it would logically mean that it's one of the "safe" containers.

I'd be cautious with NPCs. I lost some stuff after a hired NPC seemed to have vanished from the world. Lydia seems more reliable and can probably be used a safe pack mule.

The dark brotherhood eventually provides you with a room where not only you have containers but also an interactive armor stand and weapon rack to display your gear.

Edit: just upgraded one of my houses(riften) and it also has armor stands, weapon racks and empty containers.

Last edited:
I just sell everything, and haven't as yet needed to do any storing. I like Lydia but she may not be safe for storage as mine actually managed to lose her melee weapon! I wondered why she would only use her bow, and when I checked her inventory it was the only weapon she had. No idea what she did with the old one... Still I've given her a nice falmer weapon now which seems to be working nicely for her.

I've managed to get her killed 3 times, which has meant reloading as I don't want to lose her!

Daniel.

I just sell everything, and haven't as yet needed to do any storing. I like Lydia but she may not be safe for storage as mine actually managed to lose her melee weapon! I wondered why she would only use her bow, and when I checked her inventory it was the only weapon she had. No idea what she did with the old one… Still I've given her a nice falmer weapon now which seems to be working nicely for her.

I've managed to get her killed 3 times, which has meant reloading as I don't want to lose her!

Daniel.

Some bosses can disarm their opponents and I've seen this happen to NPCs as well. When it happens the weapon will be dropped on the spot, and can be picked up again. Something to keep in mind with NPCs who don't retrive them by themselves.

I'm guessing thats what happened in your case. I'm not claiming Lydia is completely safe, but she seems safer than other NPCs.

Well…no, one just doesn't assume. One generally verifies something is the case to be consistent and fair. Going by the wiki for New Vegas - it's worded differently (and admittedly quite more vaguely) than it is for Fallout 3.

I used assume to specifically point out that I didn't check New Vegas. I was trying to be honest and up-front, but I guess I should have just not even mentioned it. It's not even a Bethesda game anyway, really.

Speaking of dropped weapons and inventory management... I got overloaded on loot and dropped a bunch armor and weapons on the ground in Riverwhatever. I guard told me not to do it as leaving weapons laying around is dangerous. I had the option of saying OK or giving him the finger... This was surprising.

Some NPCs may pick stuff stuff up, with their radiant behavior. I'd be wary, and throw it down someplace far away form regular wanderers.

They do pick stuff up.

I encountered a Scavenger NPC in the wood. There was a bunch of dead Imperials and Stormcloacks and 2 of them were naked. The Scavenger was wearing a mismatch of their belongings...

He also attacked me. I promptly killed him and looted all the bodies.

That's cool! I guess I was right in stashing my stuff out back then.

Someone mentioned people will pick stuff up. I haven't seen that in Skyrim but I did see it in Oblivion now that I think about it. I was dropping weapons (really good ones at the time) outside a place in the capital when I triggered a fight I was not prepared for. I ran outside to get away and the bad guy followed me. The good citizens outside all started grabbing the magic swords and whatnot on the ground and finished off the bad guy. :whew: Of course they kept the magic stuff. :'(

Yeah I was told off by a guard for dropping weapons too, great stuff.

I needs to get me a bookshelf somewhere and it'll need to be a big one; I've been using a kindle for a little while in real life and apparently am really missing paper books, because I can't seem to pass one by in Skyrim.

Hey look at that I just thought of another mod, 'eInk readers of Skyrim'

Back
Top Bottom