Some good 'chaotic neutral' RPGs....

Drithius

Magic & Loss
So, as I complete a new "shade of grey' story arc in my oft-visited vice, City of Heroes, I wonder, "what are some cRPG's with storylines of the chaotic alignment variety?" I'm tired of choosing between a holy avenger and the mischief of a 5 year old!

I'm aware of The Witcher… but what else is there?

Last edited:
AFAIK you could play DA.O as a chaotic char.

Skyrim, you can do pretty much anything you want there. I've got saved games that I've played tag with children, and saves where I killed them for annoying me. Except for killing some quest givers/receivers, you can do pretty much anything you want in there.

-Carn

Unfortunately your example is of "holy avenger and the mischief of a 5 year old" kind Carnifex. You can indeed play chaotic character in Skyrim but (IMO) only by abandoning some quests completely. Skyrim's quest usually have good or evil solutions and they don't really cater for "in-betweens" like both Witchers did.

Last edited:
Skyrim, you can do pretty much anything you want there. I've got saved games that I've played tag with children, and saves where I killed them for annoying me. Except for killing some quest givers/receivers, you can do pretty much anything you want in there.

-Carn

Are you able to kill children? I thought that this "function" was disabled due to certain laws in certain countries.

As a test I tried to shoot some lightning at a kid and his health bar didn't go down so I assumed that they were made "immortal".

@ Asdraguuhl

There's a mod that reactivates the option to murder children.

Like this.

Doing Palpatine's signature dual lightning attack while cackling madly is also worth it.

Now we only need a mod that allows for cooking children in a gingerbread cottage as an option for alchemists. Or cooks.

@ Asdraguuhl

There's a mod that reactivates the option to murder children.

Like this.

Doing Palpatine's signature dual lightning attack while cackling madly is also worth it.

Now we only need a mod that allows for cooking children in a gingerbread cottage as an option for alchemists. Or cooks.

:lol: Great vid indeed.

So, back on topic… surely there has to be something out there besides The Witcher. I don't really see DA:O as morally grey - your companions react verbally, but there isn't much beyond that from what I recall (and, regardless, actions that aren't lawful tend to fall within the realm of 5 year old mischief anyway).

Why, Escape from Hell of course. I'd say it's "chaotic selfish". You don't care about saving anyone except your girlfriend and your best friend, use poor damned souls to your own selfish ends, abandon them without mercy, and do all kinds of chaotic things.

Also, Wizardry IV. I dunno about "neutral", but I'd say Werdna is pretty chaotic.

I'd say most open-world RPGs let you play like this, if you're the sort who can roleplay without the game talking you through it. My current Skyrim character is pretty self-serving. If he does a "good" quest I've generally got some justification for it (usually money). The same with the more morally dubious quests. If you can't find a justification for doing something with a certain character, then don't do it. If you hit a good or evil horizon you don't want to cross, then step away from the quest the same way you would in real life. If you expect to be able to do everything in a game with whatever type of character you play, you're bound to be disappointed.

As for story-driven games, I don't think you'll find many that aren't limited to the bland, two-dimensional Stupid Good/Moronic Jackass ("evil") system that's always hailed as so deep and meaningful. PST probably has options for playing like this, but it's been ages since I've played so I can't say for sure. These sorts of games put their resources into the main, good quest, since that's what most people go for, then slap on the psychotic path for the 14 year olds who think everything that moves needs killing. :p

Writing an interesting, morally grey protagonist requires someone clever at the helm and a lot more work.

I'd say most open-world RPGs let you play like this, if you're the sort who can roleplay without the game talking you through it.

This is not restricted to open-world RPGs!

For example over Christmas I played Doom twice.

The first time I played as a lawful good character, who killed all those vicious beast from hell for attacking our civilisation.
:wings:

The second time I played as a chaotic evil character, who loved to murder all those innocent aliens being stranded in our world by an experiment gone wrong.
:cm:

Now your post makes me think of a third playthrough as a neutral charcter who only kills stuff in order to get loot and to keep the number of beasts in balance.
:harl:

By the way during my first playthrough I was a little bit concerned by the level cap, but then I found the secret level and everything was ok after that.
I have to admit that I didn't bother with any other side quest.

i like Mount and Blade Warband too when I was a merc. I wasn't tied to any kingdom and can pick any side. It was fun.

Check out titles made by Black Isle or Obsidian (Fallout, PS: T, AP, etc). Pretty much the only bunch of developers that are consistent when delivering such roleplaying options.

With the exception of Alpha Protocol, I've played all those titles (I have AP in my Steam repertoire and should really play through it). While Torment is certainly different from the norm, the story is all pre-ordained from what I remember. I was looking for heartier choices in the story. I don't remember enough of Fallout 1/2's details to comment on them.

Is there anything with a gripping story that makes you sit back and think on your decisions from the 80's or 90's in the style of the old M&M's and BaK?

The M&Ms are good at what they do, but I wouldnt say that you think on your decisions in them much nor that they have a gripping story:p

I'd add Bards Tale (2000s version) to the list of games where you dont have to be good or evil, but that game is both silly and railroaded (the latter naturally goes for many RPGs).

Arcanum has good and evil choices that both make sense, but there is often no neutral path.

Back
Top Bottom