Skyrim Skyrim's Impact on the Economy

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

CountChocula

Keeper of the Watch
According to Slate.com, the popularity of Skyrim is potentially resulting in a "shock to the US economy."

While I believe this article is probably the epitome of "slow news day" journalism, I wonder whether there might be some glimmer of truth to this.

Considering that hundreds of thousands are regularly playing the game simultaneously on Steam, not to mention the massive worldwide sales and sheer amount of content the game provides, perhaps there are little decisions adding up all over to, for example, stay home from the cinema, or forego spending on some other forms of consumer entertainment, such as DVDs and blu-rays, etc.

What do think, is there any truth to this article at all?

I have never played WoW before, but was there a time when it was extremely popular and resulted in some sort of quantifiable economic impact? Or multiplayer shooters such as TF2, COD, etc?

In the case of Skyrim, however, unlike MMOs it is a one-time purchase rather than a monthly subscription. Accordingly, it would seem that those of us who are deriving the greatest value from the game might have been spending much less in total on other forms entertainment during the past month.

EDIT: Wired source article by Geekdad

Last edited:
Well, the original referenced article by GEEKDAD was well disguised sarcastic jab. I would be surprised if there are enough people playing Skyrim and not spending money or retiring early or not doing their jobs to have a significant effect on the economy. Though, I thought the original GEEKDAD article was a good read. :)

Well, the original referenced article by GEEKDAD was well disguised sarcastic jab. I would be surprised if there are enough people playing Skyrim and not spending money or retiring early or not doing their jobs to have a significant effect on the economy. Though, I thought the original GEEKDAD article was a good read. :)

Thanks for providing the link to the Geekdad article - hilarious!

However, it’s not all bad news. While Skyrim might be crushing real world productivity, in Tamriel, I am being incredibly productive. I own several homes, participate in countless transactions with merchants worth thousands of gold pieces every day. I manufacture products for sale in local markets and generally contribute to Skyrim’s society

By eliminating video games with hundreds of hours of gameplay, gorgeous, stop-you-in-your-tracks landscapes, and deep and enjoyable gameplay, we can all return to being productive and contributing citizens. Bethesda has long carried a reputation for creating such games with deep stories and compelling characters. Gamers are helpless when expected to turn their backs to such products. If we put a stop to this destructive practice, only then can the United States rebound from this sagging economy and return to economic greatness.
:p

Hmmmm, judging by past crises it is the other way round. When economy slumps and going get tough people look to escapism as a refuge. In the past they flocked to cinemas and music halls but, this time around, cinemas aren't doing so well so, maybe people resort to video games instead?

I don't know about the US economy but it set my economy back $180.00. A copy for me and each of my sons.:)

I have been surprised on how popular it has been. I was at the dentist and the dental hygentist was asking me what I was doing and I mentioned it expecting it to go right over her head. She said her husband got it for her son .. and then a copy for himself soon followed with a copy for his brother. I also found a few people at work who are playing (or have a family member who is).

I think you are taking it WAY too seriously JDR :)

Wait, you were playing Skyrim at the dentist's office?

Lol I know you are being funny ... but she is always making small talk (and why do they do that when your mouth is fall of sharp metal objects!) and knows I like to computer game from previous chats.

I had no idea, however, she had so many gamers in her family. She said she is the only one who doesn't play and only knows some of the titles as she buys them as gifts for her family.

Well, talking about having impact on the economy, I heard that many companies lost a lot of money during the premiere of The Phantom Menace as many employees took the day off or called in sick. I guess that was a dark day for both the economy and SW fans :).

I have to call in sick, because I took an arrow to the knee.

I dodged, and so had an arrow escape :)

I was getting blood work done and the nurse(vampire chick) asked me what I was up to. I mentioned Skyrim and she absolutely hates the game because her boyfriend is ignoring her and playing Skyrim instead. I was going to give her some suggestions on how to regain his attention, but decided to stay out of jail this time ;)

Good call, especially since she was wielding a sharp object. ;)

My spouse can't believe that people actually think it's only 300 hours of game time. I still need to do my holiday shopping. ;)

I still need to do my holiday shopping. ;)

May be they should make a DLC or mod for that? Let's call it Amozon-DLC. Then you can go to the market in your favourite Skyrim town and order all your presents there.

Then you only need somebody who opens the real-life door for the delivery guy, while you play on...

Back
Top Bottom