Baldur's Gate Noob Questions

There is also talk that Banished will be a freebie.

The idea that Banished will be a free game comes from the fact that some people did some digging, and found all the games that will be on sale. None of the free ones thus far have been on sale, and Banished is not among the ones that will be on sale. Banished is such a recent game though, so my guess is that it simply won't be on sale on GOG during this summer sale.

Kind of a spoiler-ish question.

Is Candlekeep the last place you visit to end the game? Reason I ask is because I just got transported there automatically after completing quests for Duke Eltan, but I still have Ulgoth's Beard to explore and want to know if I should do that first and go to Candlekeep later? Please, no heavy spoilers, just want to know if you can travel the world map after Candlekeep. Thanks.

No problem, you can return to the world map after candlekeep
- but you will be framed for murder and hunted by the flaming fist, so if you have a lot of quests in Baldur's Gate (the City^^) open, you might want to reload.

No problem, you can return to the world map after candlekeep
- but you will be framed for murder and hunted by the flaming fist, so if you have a lot of quests in Baldur's Gate (the City^^) open, you might want to reload.

Thanks, Fenris!

Just completed that part and man, this game is so interesting! The storytelling is so good through those narrator passages. I actually prefer this style over modern cutscenes.

Very immersive and great. I'm having a blast with this game. :)

You can still access the city of Baldur's Gate and complete the side quests/expansion after going back to Candlekeep:
Just follow the main quest until you get to the point where you get teleported to the thieves guild. You'll know when it happens. After that, your name is once again cleared.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a more linear structure, it's just down to personal preferences. So, I don't need any justification for it.

I don't think linear is the best term for what BG2 is. Maybe constrained? You definitely can't just go anywhere, but you also don't have to just go in a straight line either.

I don't think linear is the best term for what BG2 is. Maybe constrained? You definitely can't just go anywhere, but you also don't have to just go in a straight line either.

"More linear" than BG != 100% Linear.

I don't think I would use that term either. You can go pretty much anywhere on every map and do quests in whatever order you wish. I definitely didn't feel constrained at any point. Needing to speak to NPCs to open up some areas isn't an issue when you consider that you can find those NPCs immediately upon exiting the first dungeon.

Part of it, yes. Durlag's Tower is the other area.

Thanks for the info :).

Again, please no spoilers, but would going to Ulgoth's Beard after Candlekeep be a good idea? Or do I have a lot of game left yet? I kind of want to save the expansion for last.

If you've uncovered the entire map and cleared most of the areas, you should be able to handle the expansion areas by now. Story-wise, it doesn't matter when you go.

If you've uncovered the entire map and cleared most of the areas, you should be able to handle the expansion areas by now. Story-wise, it doesn't matter when you go.

Thanks again, JDR.

Another quick question. I'm thinking of buying the Claw of Kazgaroth for Khalid, but I'm wondering if a -4 Save vs. Death is going to be a big deal. What exactly does a Saving Throw for Death do? What type of spells or attacks are considered Death?

I like the other bonuses it gives. It also lowers Constitution by 2, but he's got enough of that to where it won't make a huge impact on him. Or maybe I'd be better off giving it to someone else? Any ideas? Minsc and myself are the biggest damage dealers, and I have Jaheira, Imoen and Dynaheir in my party as well.

Last edited:
What exactly does a Saving Throw for Death do? What type of spells or attacks are considered Death?
There are certain spells that says "Save vs death", like Horror, which forces a save vs death or else the target will flee. There are a couple of others, and i think high level Chromatic orb forces a save vs death, as should Power Word: Kill, though I've not played BG in a long long time, so I might be wrong here.

And there is an annoying inconstancy in BG in that sometimes + is a good thing, and sometimes - is a good thing. So I'm not sure if that -4 death saving throw is actually bad, as your save should be as low as possible, on the other hand , a +2 AC means that it lowers your AC...

There are certain spells that says "Save vs death", like Horror, which forces a save vs death or else the target will flee. There are a couple of others, and i think high level Chromatic orb forces a save vs death, as should Power Word: Kill, though I've not played BG in a long long time, so I might be wrong here.

And there is an annoying inconstancy in BG in that sometimes + is a good thing, and sometimes - is a good thing. So I'm not sure if that -4 death saving throw is actually bad, as your save should be as low as possible, on the other hand , a +2 AC means that it lowers your AC…

Thanks for the tips!

I'm pretty sure the -4 death saving throw is bad, because the item "boosts" every other saving throw by 3. Hence, that is the reason you buy the item; to get "boosts" to most of your saving throws. I could be wrong, though.

I think I'm going to pass on the claw, though. I don't want to lose HP with the constitution hit and I already fail enough saving throws vs. spells like Horror, so I think I'll skip it.

And there is an annoying inconstancy in BG in that sometimes + is a good thing, and sometimes - is a good thing. So I'm not sure if that -4 death saving throw is actually bad, as your save should be as low as possible, on the other hand , a +2 AC means that it lowers your AC…
It is actually pretty consistent if you understand how the rolling system works. Saving throws are + good and - bad because YOU are rolling against THEM while AC is - good and + bad because THEY are rolling against YOU. As far as the bonus on items, it's a simple + is good and - is bad because it's targeting YOU.

They've dumbed down D&D so much it's not even playable anymore, though, nowadays. Might as well go play WoW because that's what the system is changing into. Sad really.

Spoiler-ish question.

I just escaped from the Flaming Fist barracks and had to kill 2 Flaming Fist soldiers who were outside the keep. My reputation dropped drastically. Will it go back once my name is cleared or do I need to just run away from those battles and not kill any of them?

Last edited:
It is actually pretty consistent if you understand how the rolling system works. Saving throws are + good and - bad because YOU are rolling against THEM while AC is - good and + bad because THEY are rolling against YOU. As far as the bonus on items, it's a simple + is good and - is bad because it's targeting YOU.

They've dumbed down D&D so much it's not even playable anymore, though, nowadays. Might as well go play WoW because that's what the system is changing into. Sad really.

It's not entirely consistent between the different AD&D games though. I don't remember if BG was an offender here (my memory tells me that there was at least one place where this was an issue, but I might be wrong), but there have been cases where it's not consistent.

And D&D is not really dumbed down. It has changed a lot, but I would not say dumbed down. I'm not a big fan of D&D 4, in particular not as a roleplaying game, but in terms of the actual combat system, in many ways it's both deeper & more complex than it was in AD&D.

Back
Top Bottom