Can anybody Recommend an Open-world RPG?

Nehrim and M&B it is. In an unfortunate turn of events my dog had to have surgery yesterday so unfortunately a paid game is out. (I already ordered M&B a few days prior.) Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Oh I should ask this: If I should have any problems installing Nehrim when I get the chance, where should I post my questions?

Oh I should ask this: If I should have any problems installing Nehrim when I get the chance, where should I post my questions?

The developers at sureai have some forums and are good about answering questions.

To necro a thread it must be dead for a little longer than a day ;)

As for DRM I don't believe there are any except for the usual DVD check and an activation key for Risen or at least on the Steam version of Risen.

There's an installer included, which you have to run like when installing the game and just follow the instructions. Once you try it you'll see it's not too hard, but if you have any problems don't hesitate to ask.

No problem. If have have any more questions just fire away. There are a ton of Gothic fanatics here as well as your general all purpose RPG fanatics :)

If you're planning to play G3 and this isn't your first time I'd suggest waiting for the English translations of Content Mod 2.2 and QuestPack 4.2 to get released.

If it's your first time the Community Patch (and PCGH's .inis if your hardware can handle it) is all you need.

Basically my plan is to play Risen first, then the Gothic series in release order. Getting used to Gothic 1/2's controls shouldn't be a problem for me because I am coming from consoles and I need to get used a keyboard scheme anyways, so whether it's a WASD control scheme or using the arrows and the other controls Gothic 1/2 requires it won't make much of a difference in my early PC gaming life... At least I don't see how it could if I don't know the difference.

As far as the Community patch goes I don't foresee any big problems installing that when the time comes... but the PCGH .ini i may run into trouble. Should I poost my questions in the Tech forum or the Gothic forum?

With that said... out of all four games Gothic 3 looks like it has one of the best game worlds I've ever seen in a video game. I have very high hopes for the series.

If you're planning to play G3 and this isn't your first time I'd suggest waiting for the English translations of Content Mod 2.2 and QuestPack 4.2 to get released.

If it's your first time the Community Patch (and PCGH's .inis if your hardware can handle it) is all you need.

Actually:

Content mod 2.2
http://www.worldofgothic.com/dl/?go=dlfile&fileid=177

and QuestPack 4.2
http://forum.jowood.com/showthread.php?t=162081&page=26
There's a link to the questpak files in the thread. I haven't tried either yet but it's moved restarting G3 up on my list. :)

Basically my plan is to play Risen first, then the Gothic series in release order. Getting used to Gothic 1/2's controls shouldn't be a problem for me because I am coming from consoles and I need to get used a keyboard scheme anyways, so whether it's a WASD control scheme or using the arrows and the other controls Gothic 1/2 requires it won't make much of a difference in my early PC gaming life… At least I don't see how it could if I don't know the difference.

Sort of a reversed ASDW.
"Action Key" pressed ( = Left Click or CTRL) enables four options (ASDW). In most cases the standard W is the right thing. Unusual but actually quite simple.
G2 additionally mapped some of these options to the mouse. So it has secondary controls which are relatively intuitive but slightly limited.
G3 has pretty standard controls. Risen is totally standard.

Sort of a reversed ASDW.
"Action Key" pressed ( = Left Click or CTRL) enables four options (ASDW). In most cases the standard W is the right thing. Unusual but actually quite simple.
G2 additionally mapped some of these options to the mouse. So it has secondary controls which are relatively intuitive but slightly limited.
G3 has pretty standard controls. Risen is totally standard.

Yeah I looked up the control scheme on Allgame.com and I thought that it sounded pretty intuitive myself. Obviously I can't judge it until I get my hands on it for myself but since the only game I have played on the PC so far is Civilization IV (I started Dragon Age on X360 before my PC arrived.) I don't see why I couldn't get used to it.

Ah hell, I'm getting myself all worked up watching gameplay videos. I'm going to pull the trigger and order Gothic Universe. Anybody ever played any of these on easy? I'll probably have to start that way until I get used to the controls.

+1 on mapping Gothic controls to a gamepad. Reason being that you can get your fingers in a knot and build up some repetitive strain injury using a keyboard. ;) It's been a while, but it's one of the coolest control schemes I've ever encountered and timing different attacks becomes quite fun and natural. However, it does require holding several keys at once with one hand. I liked using a gamepad with it.

That said, the Gothics are RPGs with some of the best exploration ever. You won't regret playing those and you will definitely be immersed in them.

The Gothics are only hard if you are not careful, if I recall. The most danger I was in was when I was feeling adventurous and went hunting for stuff that I shouldn't have hunted for. That was part of the fun, though. :) Then again, I could be wrong, it's so long ago.

..but the PCGH .ini i may run into trouble. Should I poost my questions in the Tech forum or the Gothic forum?
You're the guy that bought that monster rig with 12 gigs or RAM? I'm sure you won't run into any problems, if you do the Gothic forum is the best place.

and QuestPack 4.2
http://forum.jowood.com/showthread.php?t=162081&page=26
There's a link to the questpak files in the thread. I haven't tried either yet but it's moved restarting G3 up on my list. :)
I had the impression that an English ContentMod friendly version of the QuestPack hasn't come out yet, cheers for pointing me to that thread.

Re: Playing Gothic on a gamepad
I wouldn't recommend it as in Gothic games the player has to frequently move and observe the Y axis, which from my experience is kinda hard with analog sticks.

You're the guy that bought that monster rig with 12 gigs or RAM? I'm sure you won't run into any problems, if you do the Gothic forum is the best place.

I had the impression that an English ContentMod friendly version of the QuestPack hasn't come out yet, cheers for pointing me to that thread.

I wouldn't recommend it as in Gothic games the player has to frequently move and observe the Y axis, which from my experience is kinda hard with analog sticks.

Actually thanks to you too. I did a search for the heck of it after reading you response.

I Need to get a gamepad anyways so I can play Trine and Psychonauts so I might as well give it a try and see what I prefer control wise.

Back
Top Bottom