Good Old Games - D&D - Buy One, Get One Free

Got 'em all already on CD...don't need superfluous digital copies. Still, it's great to see them on offer and so cheap.

It claims they are DRM free, but I thought GG operated something like steam.

GG doesn't work like Steam. They have no app that run in the background. Their games are or DRM free or use the game default DRM.

Iou have to tell the downloader to save the "temporary files" rather than install them right away. Haven't tried re/installing using the temp files, but that is the idea. Not sure if it requires a connection.

Iou have to tell the downloader to save the "temporary files" rather than install them right away. Haven't tried re/installing using the temp files, but that is the idea. Not sure if it requires a connection.

I am not 100% sure but, from what little I have read, my understanding is that you need to connect to GG for each reinstall. If that is indeed so, then I wouldn't call it exactly DRM free.

Last edited:
Maybe someone else here has tried this? I wonder what it checks? Perhaps just making sure you are the person that bought it by requiring a login? I don't seem to remember a limit on number of installs, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Maybe someone else here has tried this? I wonder what it checks? Perhaps just making sure you are the person that bought it by requiring a login? I don't seem to remember a limit on number of installs, but I could be wrong.

From experiences re-installing from saved files can be a bit "buggy". If you use the "downloader" exe it will ask for a login or you might have to re-download that part from the website for it to work if you kept it for a long time (happened to me once, I think this check the GG cookies, because sometimes it doesn't ask for a login). It's possible that it might re-download the files too (might be because of patch though, happened to me once again).

Although, in some cases the game installer is available inside the "temporary files" folder and you don't have to run the downloader .exe to re-install anything. Or in the case of Origin/EA games, you just have to select the "zip" for Origin to install it.

Back
Top Bottom