Piracy Alerts!

txa1265

SasqWatch
I really like Wil Wheaton, and even liked him as Wesley Crusher on Star Trek: The Next Generation. If you haven't kept up, he is a major blogging force these days as well as other stuff. His site is here.

Today he takes on all of the anti-piracy warnings we have to watch loaded on legit DVD's:
To illustrate how stupid this is: can you imagine having to listen to some stupid lecture on not stealing music every single time you tried to start up a CD? How about a "the more you know" style admonishment at the beginning of every television show? Do these idiots actually think that if they take this warning off the DVD, piracy will suddenly explode? Do they actually think that someone, seconds before they hit the big red "PIRATE" button in their secret underground lab, will see that warning and have a sudden change of heart?

I think I've made it clear just how anti-piracy I am, but it is truly ridiculous how in your face they have gotten with this stuff. It is insulting to treat all of your customers like criminals just waiting to happen ...

Yay! I'm not the only fan of Wesley Crusher. I thought Wil Wheaton was one of the better actors on STTNG. The writers didn't do him justice. They should have leaned away from the "prodigy" stuff.

Yay! I'm not the only fan of Wesley Crusher. I thought Wil Wheaton was one of the better actors on STTNG. The writers didn't do him justice. They should have leaned away from the "prodigy" stuff.

That's interesting, since you and I are of the age group that should have immediately hated Wesley and joined in the usenet group 'alt.wesley.crusher.die.die.die'

You guys liked Wesley Crusher? Wasn't that this youngish smartass that was constantly blocking my view on Diana Troy (or whatever her name was)?

You guys liked Wesley Crusher? Wasn't that this youngish smartass that was constantly blocking my view on Diana Troy (or whatever her name was)?

I was more for Tasha Yar (Denise Crosby) but basically yes ...

250px-WesleyCrusher2366.jpg

Everytime I'm forced to see one of those brutal anti-piracy warnings on a DVD I bought, I feel tempted to throw it out of the window. I really want to scream: "IT'S MINE, YOU MORONS! I BOUGHT IT!!!"

And all the *really* tough people I know are or were fans of Wesley Crusher. The girly-men who pretended to be real men weren't. I wasn't, but I stopped watching Star Trek after the animated series (sort of), and I'm not really manly, so I don't count, anyway :harl:.
Arex and M'ress were the best characters ever!

:eek:
I know there was lot of hate against Wesley from lots of ST fans, but I liked him too! Even his "prodigy" stuff. I must have been in my very early teens when I was watching TNG, so that might have something to do with it.

Regarding the piracy thing... as always, it's the honest customers that have to suffer. Pirates probably get better quality (read: no anti-piracy warnings), how twisted is that?

Last edited:
I'm not a real Star Trek fan, but W.C. certainly wasn't my favourite character. That seat is reserved for Mr Spock of the first Star Trek episodes. (Although I have to say I'm only familiar with the one from the movies)
Btw, Jaz, I pretend to be a real man!

About the anti-piracy stuff -> Once I just cracked my own bought DVD and deleted this scene. I decided that it would be to costly to do it for them all, but at least one DVD is without that one.

beverly crusher was the hottest but maybe since i was a kid maybe it was just the attractive teacher phase. besides tasha was killed off by dick cheneys future descendent in the first season. and troi would have been sexier without having to wear revealing clothing had she used her real accent.

beverly crusher was the hottest but maybe since i was a kid maybe it was just the attractive teacher phase. besides tasha was killed off by dick cheneys future descendent in the first season. and troi would have been sexier without having to wear revealing clothing had she used her real accent.
Wait, she talked in that series? Damn must have missed that...

Beverly was the perfect hot for teacher fantasy.
Troi was kinda like the little cheerleader.
Tasha was the kinda girl you didn't tell your mama about.

Guinan, now there's a woman :D She was like Dr. Who.

I guess that I'm the only one here who is thinking "get a life"? This is something to get worked up about? Plz....

carry on

guess they need to make the show 'beastmaster the next generation' staring hasselholf and his pet panther kitana to interest you guys...

I like Star Trek and have found all it's offspring entertaining (although Im no real fan), and youll find no argument from me regarding either Dr Crusher's matronly hotness or Deanna Troi's celestial body. My post has to do with Wil's obscenity laced rant over what amounts to a minute or so of commercial in the beginning of a DVD, before the film even begins.

We all have our crosses to bear, Wil. Some greater than others.

Well, I can see how people may find it just as bad.. annoying.. INFURIATING!!1 as Dancing Ads. ;)

Will Wheaton is really cool and he managed to redefine himself with his blogs. Its a shame that Roddenberry created this embarrassing character that he had to play. Now, I'm glad he got the work but the character was 8 years old and he must have been about 14 when he started.

Incidentally, its strongly suggested that he's Picard's illegitimate son. Making him this super space genius space alien god to try to elevate his character was annoyingly sad.

Does anyone remember seeing Wesley in the last movie? He actually had a slightly larger part (speaking) that ended up on the floor.

I'm not sure of how wise this comment of his is. This attack against this DVD message is not going to endure him to many producers except those who really, really like piracy.

In the special Weakest Link Star Trek episode the majority of the various cast members proved themselves to be extremely smart and he stole the show by making passes at Roxann Biggs-Dawson (B'Elanna Torres). He ended up coming in third to Robert Picardo ("The Doctor") and the evenual winner, LeVar Burton (Geordi LaForge, Kunta "Toby" Kinte). The final award was $750 000 a record for anyone on the show.

I don't like them either, but isn't it basically the same as Copy Protection on games. We who BUY the games have to face CP like Starforce, while the Pirates don't!! Silly really.

Back
Top Bottom