DA2 Bioware bans player from playing DA2 for posting ill remark on Bioware forums

Dragon Age 2
If Steam did that to me, they'd be hearing from my lawyers ASAP; theft by any other name is still theft IMO!!

That seems like it would make it worse, but then maybe I just don't understand the legal jargon.

On the original topic note:

Steam user violates subscriber agreement, loses $1,800 in games

HOLY CRAP

Steam has been closing accounts for years based on similar things. I guess this one is getting extra attention because of the Dragon Age 2 thing the day before. In any case Valve reversed it to save face, but I wonder if they will reverse all the others. Probably not, unless those people get "uppity" with the media as well.

Steam has been closing accounts for years based on similar things. I guess this one is getting extra attention because of the Dragon Age 2 thing the day before. In any case Valve reversed it to save face, but I wonder if they will reverse all the others. Probably not, unless those people get "uppity" with the media as well.

Well are you certain of it? There's a huge difference between a big collection of game I'll never replace and one game and few DLC I could borrow at end anyway so I don't really care.

I'd say this Steam news frightened me a bit and the EA counter part didn't bother me, well apart for the larger point of view, where they want bring us.

Well are you certain of it? There's a huge difference between a big collection of game I'll never replace and one game and few DLC I could borrow at end anyway so I don't really care.

I'd say this Steam news frightened me a bit and the EA counter part didn't bother me, well apart for the larger point of view, where they want bring us.

Yeah, Steam have always banned accounts for suspicion that they were sold or otherwise traded hands. They also ban you for doing a credit card chargeback at any time or sometimes for modifying game files in a way that could make them playable without the client.

I myself got my Steam account banned for "suspicion of account transfer." I got it back by sending them pictures of my boxes and product keys, but it was a pain in the ass.

I dont' think they have any right to prevent someone playing their game when they've paid for it.

It seems like a flimsy reason to ban someone as well. I was banned from a forum once because I mentioned another website. I did not mention it's name or post a link, I said "I read on another website" (or words to that effect) and received a warning from a moderator who posted a link to the rules. The rule in question was pretty standard… not allowed to post links or promote other websites ect. But I'd done neither.

So I replied to the mod and pointed this out to him, and the next time I tried to log in I found I'd been permanently banned. He'd even left a snide little note about "doesn't believe the rules apply to him." But the thing is I'd been warned for breaking the rules, I got banned for questioning the mod.

What made this all the more sickening was it was a health forum for depression sufferers. For all that guy knew he might have been cutting me off from my only lifeline.

I still regret to this day that I didn't write to the website explaining the situation and pointing out what a genuinely petty, trumped up little twerp that guy must have been.

Now I tend to get angry whenever I witness moderator heavy-handedness.

Ah, it was a bit different back in the days of RPGDot.

[semi-OT]This reminds me of when I was banned from a forum I once moderated. I had no idea what had happened. When I contacted another mod he told me he'd been kicked as well. As it turned out, our Admin had lost his marbles; he had suddenly started to call posters names and fired the whole team in absentiam. I remember being quite mad at him back then… I even suggested to poison his dog ^^. [/semi-OT]
Now go back to discussing the Bioware forums ban. Nothing to see here. Move on.

That sux. At least it's not a permaban or complete player info removal like was happening before.

Although, it's probably a bug caused by the consolidations of all the EA accounts into a single system.

That was their excuse before ... it was BS then, and BS now. It is a tremendous overstep to remove your ability to use a purchased item based on subjective analysis of a single work in a totally separate service.

I'm totally okay wih a forums ban, that's just common, but a product ban is something new.

Isn't it possible this person did something else entirely that was deemed objectionable?

I've seen far worse criticism of EA and DA2 on Bioware's forum and no one ever seemed to get banned or have a thread locked for this.

I actually find this one really funny. Now being a jerk and /ortroll on a forum have repercussions.

So, using the word badass equals being a jerk? If you really think so, you're almost as cunning a linguist as an average EA moderator.

Back
Top Bottom