Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Tidbits

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Here's a collection of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition tidbits gleaned from Trent Oster's twitter feed. I'll summarise, rather than linking and fully quoting each one:
  • "There will be two games. Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition #bgee=BG+TotSC, bg2ee=bg2+ToB"
  • "new content for the game you love, made by some of the original team members"
  • "...Beamdog exclusive. As for other platforms, tune is same time next week"
  • "We take mods seriously. (I led NWN after all) mods both current and future are important. More announcements to come"
  • "We're using the 2nd Edition D&D rules"
  • "Infinity Enhanced is based off the latest Throne of Bhall codebase"
  • "We're 2D isometric all the way"
  • "We're going to stay with the BG model of only voicing some of the content. We feel it allows for more in-depth writing."
  • "we are trying hard not to break mods"
  • In answer to comparing the look against BG + Widescreen mod: "it will be better. We've got the code to rework the UI and rendering"
More information.

I'm so excited.

And I just can't hide it.

I'm about to lose control and I think I like it.

Interesting. I picked these up from gog recently but perhaps I should wait on a replay for this update. To be honest for some reason i found BG II >> BG I (parts of BG I kind of bored me but BG II kept me on suspense the whole game and my first play was around 2008). Anyways I'm interested in seeing what this brings - the one thign I disliked about BG II was the graphics (on larger monitors it could use a bit more resolution) which this should address.

They should remake the whole engine for today's hardware :/ 2D has it's magic but adding some voiceacting is not enhancing a thing - they should also make one game of it (i know that bg2 was huuuge). dunno - bg3 would be better choic - but if they make EE good enough maybe these douchebags will see that ppl want tacticalparty based rpgs not only fps with elements of role playing.

I wonder if they'll use the base 2nd edition system found in BG1 or use the more advanced system from BG2 with kits and such?

Daniel.

More tidbits here.

Summer 2012 release for BG 1 EE.
Save game compatible with the original game.
New characters!
Looking for a way to tie in BG 1 better with BG 2.
Digital release only.

I wonder if they'll use the base 2nd edition system found in BG1 or use the more advanced system from BG2 with kits and such?

"Infinity enhanced" (based off BG2 TOB code base) for both EEs, so kits and wild mages in both.

They'll need to do some re-balancing in BG1 then, but that's cool.

"We're going to stay with the BG model of only voicing some of the content. We feel it allows for more in-depth writing."

Drakensang 1 had it, too.

And seriously - there was quite a number of people asking if this was a bug.

Nice, I'm really looking forward to this. :)

I've played through BG1 a couple of times using kits and such (using the TUTU) and it's seemed to be reasonably balanced still.

Daniel.

Some kits are a bit off balance, such as druid kits, because they offer certain bonuses from level 1 that were intended for higher level play. Beyond that, the balance is pretty good though with TuTU - it's certainly not a major issue.

The tale is written. I do not want a Baldur's Gate III.

I still put this one in the category "nice but ultimately pointless". With all the (reasonably easy-to-apply) mods out there BG1+2 is pretty much exactly where I want it to be already.

I'd buy it for improved graphics and extra bits, sounds awesome to me. :)

Daniel.

I'm very curious about this project - could be quite a nice little update of two classic games. Whether I buy will depend on how much they update past the modded versions of the originals, which I already own. If some sweet 2D eye candy is in the works, or if they add a lot of extra content, I'm certainly on board.

I might also consider buying simply to support the franchise out of hopes that brand new games will follow

The tale is written. I do not want a Baldur's Gate III.

Agreed, though BG3 wasn't actually going to have anything to do with the story from 1 & 2. I'd love to see an entirely original campaign in the IE engine, regardless of what it is called (or as I said on the other thread, if they made ToB into a full game rather than just an expansion).

They had me until "2nd edition D&D rules"…

Well nobody seems to like 4th Edition. Did IWD2 use 3 or 3.5? Either way, I never cared for those two. Too many choices, too many skills, etc. Got in the way of the story IMO.

Back
Top Bottom