PC Gamer - Windows 10 Leaked Build Pushes XBox

Aubrielle

Noveliste
A build of Windows 10 has been leaked, revealing a built-in "XBox App" that tells you what's going on on XBox. Really, Microsoft?

RnuQlY_Cru8O.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Is this what Microsoft's Phil Spencer was referring to last week, when he said it was "time for us to talk about gaming on Windows"? If nothing else, it would be the perfect culmination of Microsoft's attitude towards PC gaming if, for them, "gaming on Windows" meant an app that tells you what's happening on Xbox. Hopefully they have something more substantial planned.
More information.

More information.

That bullshit will be hacked out from my PC.
It's PC. It is not inferior hardware, it's not a toaster.

I don't want phoneOS (windows 8) nor consoleOS on my:
PC.

If it can't be removed, I'll stick to my good old windows 7 for many years that come.

I think a smart strategy for MS would be to turn Xbox into an open PC-based gaming platform - similar to what Valve planned with SteamOS. Retain the console level of ease of use, but open it up like Windows - allowing open software development and user modification. I think they'd clean up, if they had the foresight to release control of their walled garden.

I think they'd clean up, if they had the foresight to release control of their walled garden.

It seems with every console iteration they want to wall in more not less though.

This is not really the first attempt of Microsoft to bind their OS userbase to their Console userbase and vice versa though.
(Media center, Gaming for windows live come to mind.)

Even if it did, I have PC and play games only on PC, what do I care about Microsoft's dirty old fanny? :D

That bullshit will be hacked out from my PC.
It's PC. It is not inferior hardware, it's not a toaster.

I don't want phoneOS (windows 8) nor consoleOS on my:
PC.

If it can't be removed, I'll stick to my good old windows 7 for many years that come.

Me too, or I'll switch to Linux.

This is not really the first attempt of Microsoft to bind their OS userbase to their Console userbase and vice versa though.
(Media center, Gaming for windows live come to mind.)

And don't forget DirectX in the first place.
I personally still believe that it solely developed to get users away from OS/2.

Linux is becoming a viable gaming platform and MS should be shaking in their boots!

I don't get the point of dumbing down your PC operating system for kids that use consoles. It's dumb and bordering on offensive, should this happen I'll totally find an alternative.

I don't get the point of dumbing down your PC operating system for kids that use consoles. It's dumb and bordering on offensive, should this happen I'll totally find an alternative.

Finding an alternative is the problem. Linux is getting better but still a long ways from being an alternative for games. Apple is no better. You can stick with older versions of Windows, but eventually that becomes less of an option as well, when they become obsolete.

To be fair, a few years ago, when many of my friends were on the 360, I would have welcomed this idea. Now, I'm indifferent, it's something I won't have use for, but may be positive for those with an Xbox one.

It is offensive and ridiculous. What I really hate are all the fucking controller games or "controller recommended" games they are pushing out for the pc. If I wanted to play with an inferior and savage controller instead kb&m I'd buy a fucking console. Fuck you games with lists for inventory or ridiculous controller savage menus and other savage little kid console bullshit. I want to shoot the people in the face on the steam forums who whine about controller support. Buy a fucking console. PCs are for civilized and superior kb&m or gamepad and mouse. Just like modern houses are made with in door plumbing and running hot water and electricity, keep your fucking honey pots and outhouses for camping and for those living in teepees. Keep console shit on the consoles for the monkeys, and let me have civilized input devices and menus and inventories made for civilized folk who believe in science and progress.

Problem is xbox doesn't support keyboard/mouse :(

I have a keyboard attached to my controller. My nephews and wife's gf's kids always freak out they see and use it.

Also, what happened to Windows 9?

Windows 10 is Windows 9. No good reason yet for the name change I know of. Maybe an internal build they decided not to release. 8.1 may have been 9 - there were sort of rumours around Intel that it was.

I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. Its just a store app. You can't get an Android without Google Play so now MS is doing the same thing.

The reason I don't think it's a bad thing is that we may see more crossover between platforms.

There is a trend now in responsive design. I just hope it get's better - but anything is better than a straight port. Except lazy bootstrap pages. grr.

It is offensive and ridiculous. What I really hate are all the fucking controller games or "controller recommended" games they are pushing out for the pc. If I wanted to play with an inferior and savage controller instead kb&m I'd buy a fucking console. Fuck you games with lists for inventory or ridiculous controller savage menus and other savage little kid console bullshit. I want to shoot the people in the face on the steam forums who whine about controller support. Buy a fucking console. PCs are for civilized and superior kb&m or gamepad and mouse. Just like modern houses are made with in door plumbing and running hot water and electricity, keep your fucking honey pots and outhouses for camping and for those living in teepees. Keep console shit on the consoles for the monkeys, and let me have civilized input devices and menus and inventories made for civilized folk who believe in science and progress.

Well, it depends on the game. For RPGs or strategy games, M&K is ideal. FPS as well, due to the precision of aiming/shooting. For something like a racing game or Street Fighter, controller all the way. Some action type games are just better with a controller as well.

Right now, I'm a proponent of getting as many games released on PC as possible, regardless of their control scene. Much better to have the option of playing the controller based games on PC than having to buy an additional hardware system to play certain types of games and a high powered PC for others.

I think a smart strategy for MS would be to turn Xbox into an open PC-based gaming platform - similar to what Valve planned with SteamOS.

I think it would be smart for MS to turn Windows 10 into an Xbox emulator. After all, MS makes money from game sales, not so much from the console hardware.

Well, it depends on the game. For RPGs or strategy games, M&K is ideal. FPS as well, due to the precision of aiming/shooting. For something like a racing game or Street Fighter, controller all the way. Some action type games are just better with a controller as well.

Right now, I'm a proponent of getting as many games released on PC as possible, regardless of their control scene. Much better to have the option of playing the controller based games on PC than having to buy an additional hardware system to play certain types of games and a high powered PC for others.

The issue comes when everyone is talking a game up to high heaven and I buy it like an idiot trusting everyone. Like with Dark Souls. I downloaded the dsfix and mouse fix, etc, but I am way to rooted in science and being civilized to play a game with such a monkey-focused control scheme. It is unplayable and is wasted money that supports exactly what I never want my money to support.

The issue comes when everyone is talking a game up to high heaven and I buy it like an idiot trusting everyone. Like with Dark Souls. I downloaded the dsfix and mouse fix, etc, but I am way to rooted in science and being civilized to play a game with such a monkey-focused control scheme. It is unplayable and is wasted money that supports exactly what I never want my money to support.

Why? I beat DS 1&2 with k&m.

Anyway doesn't windows already do this? If you click on games in metro it brings up Xbox games and shows friends and achievements and the like.

When I used to have an Xbox it would actually ask if I wanted to buy games and download them straight to my Xbox. It was very annoying.

Also would show AAA games for Xbox and then if you scrolled all the way to the end it would have PC games but they would be mostly F2P or multiplayer as if PC didn't have AAA games.

Microsoft wants you checking email on your PC or better yet tablet and playing games on Xbox. They have a clear conflict of interest when it comes to gaming on PC.

The issue comes when everyone is talking a game up to high heaven and I buy it like an idiot trusting everyone. Like with Dark Souls.

I knew eventually we'll come to this! I knew it!
Bought the game then others are to blame.

I'm one person who never suggested anyone to buy that game. Not saying it's crap - I didn't buy it and didn't play it.
But I know that you must grind your way to success in it. Some say no you need skills. I'm 100% sure there is no person on this planet who was born with that actually nonexisting skill and didn't grind in that game.
Since DS' "hardness" is not really Postal 2 challenge…

Anyway. Some people like that kind of stuff. If you like endless respawns design, by all means, buy Dark Souls, right now. Don't look elsewhere!
If you're not sure what am I talking about, well, people say it's good, try to grab it on some discount somewhere.
If, however, you believe that endless respawns design is an insult customers who want quality over quantity, do not buy DS, ever.

Finally, the k/m problem with DS port is another insult, but it's an insult to all PC players, regardless of their taste. Not the only one though. DA3 also has awful controls for example.
There should be a law that forbids selling games on PC without stating with big letters on the box "DESIGNED FOR GAMEPADS". Or, in the case of phonecrap ports, "DESIGNED FOR TOUCHSCREEN". Otherwise, I say it's scam.

Back
Top Bottom