Harebrained Schemes - New Kickstarter Game

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Harebrained Schemes announced in a new update that a new Shadowrun Kickstarter will be launched in January 2015. More information will be available next month.

116b640930cb4a8353edb1f6b0dddc8d_large.png

More information.

I found Dead Man's Switch a good, though not super game, and have yet to play Dragonfall. I wonder what their justification will be to make a new Shadowrun. They've got a lot of assets already developed, and I'd like to hear how they've invested their earning from the first two games, and what exactly they need Kickstarter money for. If the justification is good, I'd consider backing.

You will have a great time now with the super-enhanced, 2nd edition Dragonfall!

Dragonfall DC can easily compete with D:OS and WL2 for best RPG of 2014. It is that good.

I wasn't part of Shadowrun KS but I bought both campaigns few days before release (when you could get it at a small discount). For SRR I wasn't sure what I was getting, but for Dragonfall I was sure it would be at least as awesome.

I hope this new KS will be not just another campaign but also improving the base game like adding persistent inventory for all characters and being able to give items to other party members during missions.
But I will support this KS even if it is another campaign at same or better quality as Dragonfall.

I just hope they will not try to reinvent the wheel now.

Instant pledge for me, I got my money's worth several times over with DMS and Dragonfall was an improvement in every way...

I didn't back Shadowrun and I thought Dead man switch was just ok, but Dragonfall was really good and it's Director's cut even better.And very importantly they listened to complaints and improved what fans thought are weak points.So I am backing their next game for sure.

This is unrealistic, but I would love if they took Satellite Reign engine and made the next Shadowrun in that :)

Dragonfall is a decent campaign but it certainly isn't that good: railroaded story, Biowarian choices, very simplistic and repetitive combat, poor use of skills, mostly poor combat situations and other problems drag it down a lot.

Dragonfall DC can easily compete with D:OS and WL2 for best RPG of 2014. It is that good.
I guess it could if any of those games were in the running for me personally. D:OS is a decent, smooth experience, but it's too colorful and samey to me, like the first hour plays more or less the same as the last. There's no edge to it. I actually liked the original Divinity more.

This is unrealistic, but I would love if they took Satellite Reign engine and made the next Shadowrun in that :)
You're saying you prefer the real-time? I'm not a big fan, especially when you're controlling multiple units.

I'm interested in the kickstart; but if it turns out to be an MMO I want nothing to do with it.

Same here. I don't think they'll go that route, but they might want to add in optional co-op. I remember during the first KS Jordan Weisman had mentioned co-op as a possible stretch goal. Personally I have little interest in co-op and would just prefer they focus on creating another excellent single-player RPG like Dragonfall DC, and continue to improve their engine. There's so many cities to explore.

Btw, Shadowrun: Dragonfall is currently half price ($7.49) on the humble store for the next couple hours if anyone hasn't picked it up yet.

You're saying you prefer the real-time? I'm not a big fan, especially when you're controlling multiple units.
I don't really care. The turn based combat is not the best part of Dragonfall anyways.

They could as easily make it a RTwP game but with lots of active abilities and spells from the turn based version. Most of the abilities already work on cooldowns, and that can easily be used for RTwP.

And maybe that engine could be made to run a turn based combat system as well.

They didn't make enough millions to fund themselves this time around? I guess when you can get other people to pay for your development costs and allow you to collect millions in profit it's the way to go.

They didn't make enough millions to fund themselves this time around? I guess when you can get other people to pay for your development costs and allow you to collect millions in profit it's the way to go.
Apparently they didn't earn enough through sales. It might also be that they invested money they did earn to their other games and now need more for this.

On Steam forums they talked about not being sure if they can invest into another campaign and people urged them to go to KS in that case because many want more.

I found Dead Man's Switch a good, though not super game, and have yet to play Dragonfall. I wonder what their justification will be to make a new Shadowrun. They've got a lot of assets already developed, and I'd like to hear how they've invested their earning from the first two games, and what exactly they need Kickstarter money for. If the justification is good, I'd consider backing.

It may simply be the result of needing to reduce financial risk. Whether or not they may have the funds to do another, running a Kickstarter provides some financial security and reduces the risk of proceeding. It's somewhat equivalent to finding a financial partner for an expensive new endeavor. If the KS fails, they may have to turn to external funding sources (which we've indicated we don't prefer) or simply abandon the idea.

Personally, I think the fact that they have had a successful Kickstarter provides a solid reason to consider supporting another. It indicates a lower risk of failure, and of our losing the money with no end product being released.

It may simply be the result of needing to reduce financial risk. Whether or not they may have the funds to do another, running a Kickstarter provides some financial security and reduces the risk of proceeding. It's somewhat equivalent of finding a financial partner for an expensive new endeavor. If the KS fails, they may have to turn to external funding sources or simply abandon the idea.

Personally, I think the fact that they have had a successful Kickstarter provides a solid reason to consider supporting another. It indicates a lower risk of failure, and of our losing the money with no end product released.
More importantly, it gives you a great idea what level of product you can expect.

If someone promised you BG2 level game and you knew from their previous game made 1 year before they could deliver exactly that, you and many would throw money at them.

I am not saying HS will promise BG2 level game but whatever they do, I am sure they will deliver exactly that or better.

Instapledge if it'll a SP RPG.

DMS was good, Dragonfall was very good. They've earned my trust.

Back
Top Bottom