Gothic 2 Gold - Latest DirectX11 Mod

D

Deleted User

Hi! In this video I take a look at the DirectX11 modification for the classic CRPG, Gothic 2. The version shown in the video is current as of April 2015 and is still under construction as we speak

Hey everybody! Thanks for joining me, as today I take a look at the most current version of Andre's D3D11 renderer mod for Gothic 2!

The version I'm playing is the X15 Version, current as of April 2015. In the video I show off a few tricks that the mod is capable of doing, as well as show off a bit of the terrain in my favorite first-person mode!

The best thing about this video is that it is truly 1920x1080, full HD and a constant 60 FPS. Later on in the video I actually show the game with full 8x Supersampling AA, as well as other bells and whistles I talk about in the video. :)

My system specs:
Windows 7 64-bit
16 GB RAM
i5 4690 3.5ghz CPU
Nvidia GTX 970 GPU
256 GB SSD

For the high resolution font mod, use this link. Download it and add it to your Data folder and voila! You now have a better font! -http://fgex.ru/files/FONT_High_Resolu...

Follow the mod here - http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/...

If you like the sort of work I do here on YouTube, please consider becoming a Patron of mine on Patreon. It would mean a lot and greatly help my channel! Check it out! - http://www.patreon.com/fluent

Also, leave a comment letting myself and Andre know what you think about the great work he's done! Share the video to get others excited for it. There are still a lot of people who love the Gothic games that aren't aware of this great project, so let's let them all know about it! :)

Lastly, press the Like button and subscribe to my channel for more!

Ciao!
More information.

Yeah, it looks really good.

I often wonder why worlds built like Gothic 2 don't exist much in modern gaming, outside of Piranha Bytes games. The areas in Gothic 1 and 2 were expertly crafted.

Stunning, just stunning. My favorite 3d RPG is gonne be played once more.
Keep Up the good work Fluent !

Thanks for the video Fluent!

Would you say the game is already fully playable with the X15 build, or are the still main render features missing (particles, spell effects etc..)? I couldn't really find any sort of "TODO list" for what still needs to be done before he'll call it v1.0.

Kasper, I've been told it's fully playable and that it would work for my current Gothic 2 playthrough, but there are still a few bugs, as well as things be added and tweaked. So, maybe you can start a new playthrough now, but be ready to download a newer version that fixes a few bugs and adds new features later on.

Some features currently being worked on are better and more tesselation, as well as a better ocean, for example.

Nice video :)

Is there a guide for installation, including G2 version and install order, etc.?

Yes, here's the latest thread from the mod's author. It has both, German and English instructions.

Gothic 2 was fantastic; the best of the trilogy (G4:ArcaniA doesn't count).
I actually enjoyed it more than Skyrim, and wouldn't mind replaying it someday with this DX11 mod… but with that other huge open-world game just weeks away, and with my growing backlog, it won't be this year.

Wow! Looks great! Thanks for posting that Fluent. I appreciate the work you do on this site.

Does look great. Still have never played Night of the Ravens. But I'm not that big on replaying games I've finished before, which I would need to do for a large part if I want to play the expansion. On the other hand, it's been a while. :)

Somebody should also make updated models with higher polycount and higher res textures. :)

Honestly, I think the textures look great. They may not be high res, but they set a great atmosphere and mood, if you know what I mean.

The renderer has to be played to be believed. It just adds a modern sheen to the game that I didn't think was possible. Really gorgeous stuff.

And as always, you guys are very welcome for the videos! If you want to donate to me, check out my Patreon page - http://www.patreon.com/fluent .

Okay, let me show my ignorance here but is there any plans to do the same thing with 1 and 3? Or is 1 too old of a game due to coding to make this a viable option? Thanks.

This is like the first sentence of the official post by the mod author:

With this mod, I want to bring the engine of Gothic 1&2 into a more modern state.

Gothic 1 and 2 are basically using the same engine. The mod, or more precisely parts of it, already work for Gothic 1 but it is not "officially" supported yet. See here for some brand new screenies of someone who is using version 14 of the DX11 mod and Freddy's Texture Patch for Gothic 1.
Should be looking even nicer one day when the mod author gets around to making a dedicated Gothic 1 fork of his mod.

[By the way, the mod author -André Taulien- is a small "celebrity" ;) . He is (mostly) an artist and has worked at attic entertainment back in the 1990s on titles such as RoA: Shadows over Riva and then later on he's worked for Larian on the Divinity games. Here's his full Moby Games profile.]

^ EDIT for historical reasons if someone finds this post on Google or doesn't read the whole thread: The mod author has clarified that his name is Andre Taulien, without the accent aigu over the "e" and that he is not the same person as the André Taulien who worked at attic. Sorry about the confusion!

Last edited:
T[By the way, the mod author -André Taulien- is a small "celebrity". He is (mostly) an artist and has worked at attic entertainment back in the 1990s on titles such as RoA: Shadows over Riva and then later on he's worked for Larian on the Divinity games. Here's his full Moby Games profile.]
I didn't know that so thanks for sharing the link Moriendor. :thanks:

He has done some great work on some great rpgs.

Didn't realize I had been talking to a celebrity all this time! :D Pretty neat that he's worked on some great stuff. I think this G2 mod is important work to keep the game alive for future generations and I'm thrilled he's doing it.

Didn't realize I had been talking to a celebrity all this time! :D Pretty neat that he's worked on some great stuff. I think this G2 mod is important work to keep the game alive for future generations and I'm thrilled he's doing it.

Celebs usually enjoy being treated like normal human beings. ;)

Celebs usually enjoy being treated like normal human beings. ;)

Being a celebrity myself (500+ subscribers on YouTube), I enjoy being treated as a celebrity. Please address me as Fluent the YouTube Sensation from now on. Thank you. :)

Hi everyone, creator of the mod here! Thanks for your support for my project here on RPGWatch!

Howerver, I must clarify that I'm not the guy you are talking about. Names might be slightly the same (I don't have that é, just the usual e), but I can say for sure, that I haven't been working at Attic Entertainment when I was a toddler! ;)

Gothic 1 Version should be coming up soon, seems to be working fairly stable so far.

Back
Top Bottom