NWN2 about to start playing - what to do with motb?

Neverwinter Nights 2

Dray

Watcher
Hi all,

I'm about to start playing NWN2. It's been on the shelf for awhile so I thought I better have a go!

Should I install mask of the betrayer now? Will any of the new content (or features) be available to me from the start or do I have to complete the original game quest first? Does having motb override the need for existing game patches (e.g. 1.10)?

Thanks!
Dray.

The game is a bit annoying to patch. You can install MotB on a virgin NWN2 (I did), but apparently all of the campaign (data) fixes may not make it in that way. It seems the recommended way to go is...

(1) Install NWN2.
(2) Run the autopatcher, and let it patch the game to 1.10. (S-l-o-w.)
(3) Install MotB.

If you do buy and install MotB, you'll get a few new subraces, classes, and prestige classes to play with in the OC. I understand they'll be available from the start; you don't have to complete the game once to unlock them. I wouldn't get MotB now in your shoes; by the time you finish the OC, it's quite likely to have dropped in price.

Hi - thanks for the info.

One of the things that would lure me into getting the expansion now is enhanced graphics or more importantly new equipment or items that will be available in the original campaign if I install the expansion now before I start to play. If items are placed in the world, rather than generated randomly, then this probably won't be the case though.

Almost all of the loot in NWN2 is hand-placed, and I don't think any of the MotB loot made it in in any form. The graphics enhancements come with the patch, not the expansion.

The original campaign is unchanged with MotB, however you do have access to the new classes/races. Also, you can continue your adventures into MotB after you complete the original campaign, which is definetly an advatange, since MotB has a better story (at least it seems that way so far, I haven't completed it yet).

You will probably also want to apply the hotfix after installing MotB, found Here

Installing MotB will enable new classes, prestige classes, feats, and spells which will be available in the NWN2 OC. I'd suggest giving the Arcane Scholar of Candlekeep a go. As well as getting some very tasty meta-magic bonuses, they get Diplomacy as a class skill, which you'll find quite useful at certain stages of the OC; particularly earlyish in the second act (at which point you'll be around level 10-12). Sorcs get bluff as a class skill, as well as having high charisma. There are certain events where having high social skills will be very rewarding.

My MoTB arrived today.
I'm running windows 2000 sp4.
I installed NWN2 and patched it up to 1.10.
Then I installed Motb.
Then I installed the hotfix.
Works great. Haven't seen any problems.

I'm so pleased with this game.
Makes me so happy to see at least one company still
making real rpgs with a decent budget and good
production values. It has everything a solid CRPG should have.
Two thumbs up from me. Glad I bought it.

Have I mentined how much I can't wait for this? Despite the many flaws of the OC, and the non-implementation of Contingency, Time Stop etc, I already love NWN2. It sounds like MotB is also manages to be a great RPG in the classical sense. Even the RPG Codex is giving it rave reviews. Luckily I don't have to wait until October 19; my copy is on its way to me as I type!

:p You really know how to upset a fellow countryman, don't you!! :)

http://www.game.co.uk/PC/RolePlayin...Nights-2-Mask-of-the-Betrayer-Expansion-Pack/

That's where I ordered it from. They don't have any problems with shipping to Aus. If you want to play MotB, then order it from there. I'm hearing a lot of reports that it's been delayed to the 24th here. It seems amazing to me that they were talkingh about how the game was finished but they were holding off while they localized it because they wanted a simultaneous world wide release- then they do this shit.

Oh well, at least paralel importing is pretty easy here.

Just checked that site and the game is Out of Stock!! :)

What exactly does the hotfix do?

I installed NWN, did the patches, then installed MOTB and just let it check for updates on occasion.

You should not worry about breaking the game, the latest patches (and fixes probably) have fixed bugs caused in the OC after installing MotB.

MotB causes crash bugs for many people. Most of the crashes are supposedly fixed in 1.12 which is coming next month. I would recommend trying with MotB installed but if you run into the crash bugs some people get I would reinstall just NWN2 and wait for 1.12.

Back
Top Bottom