Shenmue 3 - New Kickstarter --- Already Funded!

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Shenmue 3 - KickStarter Campaign Kick Off

Hell yes I remember palying the original Shenmue on the Dreamcast. So to see the countdown for a new Kickstarter for the third game fills me with happiness.

Link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVUMPUabdlk

Here is the campaign link- https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3
Shenmue 3 is the true sequel to the classic open world action RPG games, Shenmue and Shenmue 2. Created for modern platforms (PC and PlayStation 4) and built in Unreal 4, Shenmue 3 will continue the legacy of Shenmue.

With your help, we can #SaveShenmue and rejoin Ryo and our favorite characters on this new adventure!

Last edited:
It has already made one million dollars of it's funding goal in one day.:clap:

Did they manage to "liberate" the IP from Sega?! Because that would be an awesome thing. And why this is not on the front page. People have the right to know and to fund:)

Did they manage to "liberate" the IP from Sega?! Because that would be an awesome thing. And why this is not on the front page. People have the right to know and to fund:)
I'm no longer news-editor so I can't post news on the front-page. As for the Shenmue Ip the games creator Yu Suzuki owns it now. He just needs to fund the game.

That is one hell of a A-bomb. And the funding for this seems to bring the Kickstarter site to its knee. Good chances they will get over the stretch goals. Maybe one of the stretch goals will be to bring Shenmue 1+2 on PC (dreaming here with the open eyes)

Based on the current rate of funding the game should be funded this week. He just needs a lot more to make the game larger than the asking funding goal.

It's a good time to be a gamer with all these games getting revived.=)

The father of the quick-time-event. No thanks.

I have never played the previous games but the "in-game" scenes from the Kickstarter pitch was absolutely toe-curling. I watched some gameplay from Shenmue 2 on youtube and it looked decent enough until it went into a QTE frenzy.

So Sega, after showing some mercy by putting up Valkyria Chronicles where it belongs - on PC, decided to kickstart multiplatform Unreal 4 openworld (how's that even possible in that engine?) RPG?

QTE fest people say? A sequel of some ancient stuff noone ever heard of? I don't care.
Backing this.

Shenmue was an interesting concept that made for extremely boring gameplay. Not sure why people are so happy with it.

Wow, it will be funded in a a few hours from now… that was fast :)

Yeah while it was kind of crass for Sony, as a big company that publishes games and also makes money for every game sold for their system, to ask people to donate to a kickstarter rather than offer to fund the development and publish it themselves... I can't fault Ys Net as the developer for jumping at the chance for this kind of free positive publicity. Obviously that is ending up being a huge boost for them and I'm very glad this well end up being made - and is going to be available on PC.

Shenmue was an interesting concept that made for extremely boring gameplay. Not sure why people are so happy with it.

I played Shenmue 2 in my Xbox, loved the game. Didn't find it boring at all, and the exotic (Asian) setting was great.
Oh, and by the way, it's already funded! $2 million in like 10 hours.
As for Shenmue 1 & 2 being added as stretch goals, devs said they belong to SEGA so they can't comment (probably they're in talks with them to get permission, hopefully).

I played Shenmue 2 in my Xbox, loved the game. Didn't find it boring at all, and the exotic (Asian) setting was great.
Oh, and by the way, it's already funded! $2 million in like 10 hours.
As for Shenmue 1 & 2 being added as stretch goals, devs said they belong to SEGA so they can't comment (probably they're in talks with them to get permission, hopefully).

I only played the first one on my Dreamcast. I loved the concept, but I found the game to be an excercise in repetition and drone-like activities. Seemed you spent most of the time opening drawers or doing trivial tasks.

Maybe I didn't give it a proper shot.

Yu Suzuki's company Ys Net secured the necessary license from Sega to make a new game in the classic Shenmue series. He hoped to finance Shenmue 3 through crowdfunding, and he was right. The Kickstarter campaign took off with lightning speed. After only 3 hours 1.36M$ had been pledged. A short time later the funding goal of 2M$ was reached, so Shenmue 3 will definitely be made.

Shenmue 3 is the true sequel to the classic open world action RPG games, Shenmue and Shenmue 2. Created for modern platforms (PC and PlayStation 4) and built in Unreal 4, Shenmue 3 will continue the legacy of Shenmue.
Here are a teaser from Sony's E3 show

and the Kickstarter pitch

Current status: 2.8M$ of 2M$ (funded), 36k backers. Only 700k$ more and Shenmue 3 will get a skill tree system. ;)

Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

Is this the fastest videogame ks campaign ever?

Is this the fastest videogame ks campaign ever?
Yes it's the fastest funded game on Kickstarter now.

Link - http://kotaku.com/shenmue-3-just-hit-2-million-setting-a-new-kickstarte-1711615103

Forbes also thinks the game can't be made with it's $2 million goal, They cite that the original game took $70 million, and that Sony will actually be funding the game.

Link - http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...ickstarter-but-the-original-cost-70m-to-make/

Franky I don't care I'm happy to finally get a new Shenmue game.:celebrate:

Last edited:

I also remember Shenmue this way: awesome concept but tedious gameplay. So much slow-walking, opening drawers, button prompts, QTE-like fighting. But people loved it because it was graphically amazing and was the closest to a living breathing village/city we'd ever seen at the time. But it wasn't a good game. And it holds up terribly.

So I have to agree with you that people's love for Shenmue is quite irrational. What confuses me is the modern spiritual-Shenmues like Beyond: Two Souls get panned by critics for having hardly any gameplay, but Shenmue is treated as holy despite being the creative forerunner to David Cage's games and so on.

I apologize to anyone who loves Shenmue, but I'd argue you played it 15 years ago and if you go back and play it again you'll see that it actually kind of stinks.

Back
Top Bottom