Dreamfall Chapters - Book One Available

aries100

SasqWatch
Since October 21st this game has been available to those of us who love adventure
games.

Dreamfall Chapters - Book One is available now in the Steam Store, the Humble Store and on GOG for $29.99. The Special Edition is also available for $34.99. The series will continue with Books Two through Five and will be released throughout 2015. Book One is also scheduled for release on PlayStation 4 in early 2015.
You can view the full press release here. Here's a quote about the story:

In game, players will explore fantastic locations and mature themes through the eyes of familiar faces, determining the course of their journeys through their choices and actions, and living with the surprising and sometimes devastating consequences. Every decision made within the game will have a significant impact on the way the story plays out. The game's innovative social system gives players the option to see what decisions their friends made, before they make and share their own.
A developer video can be found here.

More information.

KS supporter here. I downloaded and finished Dreamfall Chapters yesterday. Took me over 8 hours, but there was quite a bit of pausing and just looking around and 'smelling the flowers'.
Actual gameplay would be 6-7 hours; you might be able to complete it in a fairly thorough manner in about five hours I guess.

I was very pleased with it. Thanks to patches and a powerful PC (i7, GTX 670 Ti) it ran fairly well on max settings, but there was still some stuttering here and there. I expect future patches will solve this.

It's mostly a 'setup' for the rest of the game, establishing or re-establishing characters, introduce the setting (a bleak future Europe, for instance, 'Europolis').
Music is good, voice acting is excellent, puzzles are relatively simple. The graphics are a mixed bag, in the sense that visual design is pretty good, but you can see that they lacked the money and manpower to produce a game that is graphically first-rate.
The previous Dreamfall was a very beautiful game for its time, this one is mostly pretty, but, relatively speaking, not as graphically impressive as its predecessor.

For anyone who liked the previous Dreamfall, it's a pretty safe buy. Buying it will get you the future 'books' for free.

This is on my short list, I loved LJ & DF! They were obviously very female-oriented stories, but I had a lot of fun playing it. The KS was over before I had heard they were bringing it back. I've heard nothing but positive reviews about Chapters, so I'm really looking forward to it after I'm Dragon Aged, Pillared and Witchered-out.

I'll wait when all chapters are out. My memory is really bad so I need to play games beginning to end with at most a week between plays, otherwise I have to start from the beginning (or more likely the case, never play again).

Yeah, I kinda wanted something more like a Dreamfall: TLJ experience, where you have the entire game, but this episode was rather big for being an episode (compared to most other episodic offerings). I hope they'll all be this long.

But the performance of this one was kind of horrible before the patch, and even after it's not perfect. I hope they keep improving on all fronts. (And what are those strange neon lights and streaks I keep seeing across the screen, is that intentional!?)

Back
Top Bottom