Underdogs disapeared?

i don't read Thai but Sarinee seems to have branched off to another project. :)

Home of the Underdogs is back. I don't know where it went or why but it's back and that is all that matters :)

Very cool, thanks to point it. And it is dam fast, last time I get there one year ago it was dam slow.

You're right the screenshots are gone. Oh well, I can live with that. As long as they don't leave again. I love that place. It's better than Moby Games when looking for games I might of played but have forgotten about.

Dasale is right too. The place is a lot faster.

Edit: I just noticed that all the files are broken. So either Home of the Underdogs is becoming an exclusive review site with no more abandonware or there are still a few bugs to be worked out since it came back online.

Last edited:
I just noticed that all the files are broken. So either Home of the Underdogs is becoming an exclusive review site with no more abandonware or there are still a few bugs to be worked out since it came back online.
Yes there isn't yet the download links. That's probably why the site is much faster. :)

I hope files will come back online, I'm sure there are few games I'd discover, want play and won't find anywhere else.

I'm fairly certain that you'll find just about all of them on any of a variety of torrent trackers.

thanks skavenhorde. this time i might start keeping local copies of the reviews for some of my favourite games.

Seems like HOTU might be in real trouble this time. Fringer the owner of the site said that the host went bankrupt.
http://twitter.com/Fringer

She'll comment more about it later. I don't know about the rest of you, but I loved that site. It was a heck of a lot better than Mobygames, imo. I don't care if she gets rid of the abandonware aspect of the site, just keep the content. It had tons of info on every oldie game out there and even some that weren't that old.

I hope she accepts donations or something to keep it alive and going because it would be a real shame to lose all that gaming goodness.

just noticed it not working last night myself, and say that same news...a shame, i never downloaded anything from its links but it was a trove of great information especially for checking out older games similar to ones i enjoyed.

I downloaded tons of games. It's not like they're selling them anymore, anywhere. If you could find it for download anywhere (except ebay) then the link to the download would be removed.

With GOG, I'm hoping that some of the older ones can be resold again and then we won't need abandonware sites anymore. I have no problems paying a few bucks, but first there has to be a store that sells the old games.

Still no updates on the status. I'm pretty sure that this time The Underdogs is gone for quite a long time. Fringer might bring it back or she might not. She sometimes goes years without updating that site and sometimes she's Johnny on the spot with it. So who knows, maybe an Underdog bug might bite her sometime in the near future and she might, once again, care about that site.

Sarinee (who I've personally met while in Hong Kong) has posted on her personal blog about the fate of HotU. You can read about it here: http://www.fringer.org/?p=416
Basically, the host of the site went under, taking quite a bit of data with it. All of the database info is intact, but the actual games aren't. There is a revival project going on which you can read about on her blog, but it will be a bit before the site's back in any substantive form. She'll be supporting the efforts but not directly involved. Sad to see, I was involved with the site and forum for a couple years, and there were a few attempts to keep it updated that never really pulled through. At least it'll be back in some format sometime in the near future.

Cool, thx for the update and info on trying to revive the Underdogs.

I think she is right about it being easier to get all the downloads off the internet. A lot faster than looking through her collection of CDs.

I'm glad she is taking an interest in HOTU. From what she says it sounds like she might be at least. You say she won't directly be involved though, so maybe she can pass the torch or something.

I understand why HOTU went on permanent vacation for awhile. A lot of bad stuff went down in Thailand within the last couple of years, so I can definatly see why HOTU would be last on the list of priorities. Her blog doesn't help me at all. Everytime I visited it was only updated in Thai, so I just stopped going. Although I do know that it has to do with politics/religion (Just a guess from all the pictures I see:))

Anyways, thanks again for the update.

I was often astonished that the site even had some German-language games, even some advertisement games, which are/were pretty obscure, at least internationally.

I don't think I remember any abandonware site having German-langiage games at all. Or localized games in general.

Even though I've always been strongly anti-piracy, this sort of thing is important and it is a shame to see it struggle ...

Back
Top Bottom