F:NV Best Fallout New Vegas Mods 2011

Fallout: New Vegas
So check out this picture of a i7 4770k @ 4.4Ghz getting maxed out because of the horrendously bad game engine: Link

...or should I say, one core of an i7 getting maxed out because Bethesda can't program for shit.

Now that I've decided to do a new playthrough of FNV, but highly modded this time, I've been trawling through the myriad mods available on Nexus and stumbled upon this: Cirosan's Classic Overhaul -> http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/44027/. Have any of you tried it out, perhaps? It is quite a big overhaul and I would like to know first-hand experiences from fellow Watchers, if any.

That one is new to me. The calculations for damage resistance don't make much sense to me though. Treating a modified damage threshold as a percentage for resistance sounds wrong.

I've seen this around but that's all. Some of the rebalancing is covered by Project Nevada, while some (the copious amount of perks) I wouldn't really be able to fit into a character.

Still, it seems a decent mod, especially the VATS overhaul. Wasn't Gopher running this in his current Let's Play?

Well, I spent two evenings downloading and installing (and testing) mods with NMM and to my surprise it went fairly smoothly. I did have my struggles with some of the mods, of course, like with the Immersive HUD, it just wouldn't work right no matter what I tried, but in the end the whole process went easier than I expected (have some baaad memories of modding Morrowind way back when). Tonight I'll finally get my modded playthrough started!

Did you guys throttle down XP gain? If so, by how much? I went with 65% (75% by PN and 'Skilled' perk's -10%).

Drithius said:
Some of the rebalancing is covered by Project Nevada, while some (the copious amount of perks) I wouldn't really be able to fit into a character.
Even if CCO should play nice with PN and its VATS changes are very good (and the follower tweaks, etc.), I went with just PN in the end. The rebalancing done by PN is more than enough, I think. Yeah, the perk overkill of CCO is quite severe, I admit.

Thrasher said:
The calculations for damage resistance don't make much sense to me though. Treating a modified damage threshold as a percentage for resistance sounds wrong.
Why so? It's basically just 'heavier armor gives better protection'. I guess doing it as a calculation based on DT was a lot easier and faster, than assigning DR values by hand. Maybe not ideal, but serviceable, IMO.

I should have throttled it down. Here I am just starting to work through Old World Blues and I am already level 43. Most of the Mojave is explored, but still have lots of Vegas side quests to do and most of the main quest post Ring-A-Ding-Ding, in addition to Lonesome Road.

Why so? It's basically just 'heavier armor gives better protection'. I guess doing it as a calculation based on DT was a lot easier and faster, than assigning DR values by hand. Maybe not ideal, but serviceable, IMO.

The percentage should be based on the enemies total health, if one wants it to track the same level of defense as DT. High DT on a low HP monster should be reflected as a higher resistance than the same DT on a high HP monster.

Last edited:
My PN experience settings were for 50% overall experience, and 75% for combat. So, 37.5% from enemies. But I run with IWS - if you don't use IWS, 50-75% would probably be a better standard.

I know there are giant fix mods, but when I looked at them, they had much more than bug fixes. Balance and gameplay changes are a big turn off for me on a first playthrough.

So I modded out particular bugs as I came across them. One was the loss of companion weapons to the doormen at Gomorrah. And another was Boone's freaky behavior when enemies were about.

Both mods are on the nexus. But it's down now.

Back
Top Bottom