Dragon Age: Inquisition - Bioware Aware of Community Concerns

Yeah but in BG1 nearly everywhere you explored you'd find a mini sidequest or some neat even or something happening.
In DA2 you could find some item you bring to some NPC for undisclosed reasons.
This. Bg1 exploration was awesome as you never knew what you would run into and it wasn't random generic fights vs respawning monsters (I don't count gibberling or a random gnoll as those fights took a whole of 5s of you time). You would find funny NPCs to talk to, or named NPCs to fight or cool mini quests (the slime creating wizard; the ghoul that wanted its dagger back; the wounded criminal and so on)

In BG1 I clearly remember the area around High Hedges with that chicken which turned out to be mage's apprentice...Great way to introduce the player to a wizard tower and also a wizard where you can by many nice spells and magical items. In short, I agree with what everyone has said about BG1.

Man you guys are harsh.

Perhaps you prefer laughable dialog, and roll-dodging over and over while your one immortal companion kills the same giant birds over and over for a "chicken leg"? And no tactical view at all.

Heh.

I agree with those points about BG1 too, but that is to do with the quality of the side quests - I was adressing the question of a "tight story".

You don't need a tight story if the game overall is awesome. Kotor might have had a tight story and cool companions but combat was crap and so was console UI.

This even got me to post a comment.

I succumbed and preordered the game, despite DA2. I played the game yesterday, on EU launch, for about three hours. About half of that time was spend in the character creation process, definitely the most fun part of my experience (the face customization is amazing). After that... the experience was an exercise in patience. The kb+mouse interaction is atrocious. I usually find forum user comments hyperbolic but in this case I have to agree that the experience was inexcusable for a game of such budget and caliber.

Anyway after three hours I got so fed up that I quit the game and asked for a refund. (On the plus side the refund was issued immediately).

I will only bother again when I read that there is an actual fix to the current mess.

(Just one example: right clicking on "Loot" does not move character to pick it... It gets so frustrating having to position the character just "right" next to the object. It's amazing how infuriating this will become after only an hour of play...)

Seems the manual is rather pathetic (once I could track it down - online!) - I am a 'manual man' ;-) - I lament the loss of decent game manuals, with spells/abilities, lore etc. Also, the PC manual spends most of the time talking about how to use a game controller to set up things...showing even more their disinterest in mouse+kb (and PC UI in general). Have yet to fire up the game (it is now installed) but I'm not feeling that enthusiastic!

I am a 'manual man' ;-) - I lament the loss of decent game manuals, with spells/abilities, lore etc.

A big plus 1 to that. I REALLY miss proper paper manuals. Reading through them was part of the build up to the game, and gave you some ideas about how you might like to create your character and choose to play.

Also, and maybe this is weird, I love the smell of freshly printed glossy paper.

(Just one example: right clicking on "Loot" does not move character to pick it… It gets so frustrating having to position the character just "right" next to the object. It's amazing how infuriating this will become after only an hour of play…)

I'm surprised how many people have problem with this.

99% of the games I play do not move you to the loot from a distance, out of these 80% are cRPGs. And I never use the feature when offered I find it clunky actually.

I'm surprised how many people have problem with this.

99% of the games I play do not move you to the loot from a distance, out of these 80% are cRPGs. And I never use the feature when offered I find it clunky actually.

There is a difference between first person view (or over the shoulder) done properly (like Skyrim or The Witcher) where you control your character with precision and you interact accordingly with the environment. No need to "click and walk" there. Third person view on the other hand works differently. If you could actually control the character and camera with some precision (and with some functionality that is considered "standard" in PC gaming and K&mouse controls) I wouldn't mind also. But the feel of the K&mouse in DA:I is clunky at best and, to me, infuriatingly bad to the extend that I was unable to continue playing. This is the first time ever in my gaming years that I have experienced something as bad and found myself unable to have fun.

Maybe I am getting old..

You're not getting old sibroc, you're 100% correct.
And that same Bioware knew how clunky this system from DA3 is and made it properly in "several decades old" Mass Effect games. The loot from trashmobs is automatic there. Why they didn't make it also in DA3, beats me.

The one friend that I have that uses Origin ordered this game three days ago, and got a refund 4 hours after she started playing it. Told me everything I needed to know, this series began and ended with Dragon Age: Origins. Not that I'd ever put the origin platform on my computer, anyways. Bioware has officially passed on.

Based on all the comments, this game seems to have some redeeming qualities at least, despite the MMO type quests and the horrible respawn rates (which I figure will get patched at some point or modded out). So I might pick the Ultimate Complete Final version up at some point during a sale, but only if it ever makes it to Steam…
I'm in no hurry to start playing. My backlog contains enough good games that are still waiting on some diskspace and attention.

How is the combat itself? Is it as flashy, chaotic and nausea inducing as in the gameplay videos?

I'm starting to think that I'm the only person on the Watch that played PC games with controls similar to DAI.

Considering I'm controlling my DAI character the same way I did in DAO and DA2 (talking about WASD + RMB for mouselook + get near loot to pick it up + pause at the start of combat to issue initial command to party), it's just feel really weird to read all the complains about it.

Maybe we would understand you better if you listed like 5 RPGs that you recently played that had control similar to DAI.

While I am more positive about the game than most I have to agree with Archangel and others on this one Azarhal.

I did not have this problem with earlier games. Did not have it in Skyrim or any other recent games that I can remember. Either movement was more precise, there was first person interaction, or some sort of auto-loot, auto-attack, or auto-interact functionality that helped to compensate.

In general this is the first game I have played that has really stuck out as being so clunky movement wise.

I have compensated with some key bindings but still annoying. If I am in third person and I click on something I want to move to it and interact with it automatically. Not swing at empty air or have to first navigate to it, face it, be close enough, then use another key or click to then open it/attack it/otherwise interact it.

The simple fact that this is probably the biggest complaint being expressed all over the place about this game is pretty much all the proof I need to know this *IS* a problem and annoyance to many, many people and that you seem to be the exception Azarhal. Just look at the forums - it is very clear many people consider this an issue.

Last edited:
Maybe we would understand you better if you listed like 5 RPGs that you recently played that had control similar to DAI.

DAO and DA2 (I replayed them in the last year).
In the recent category, there is a few MMORPGs (GW2, EQ2, SWTOR, etc) (no pausing here of course).

Having to hold the right mouse button for mouselook is more commons in MMORPGs I guess, but WASD and moving to something manually to pick it up is like standard fair for none isometric games I've been playing. KoTOR, Jade Empire, Gothic series, Risen, The Witcher games (1 and 2), etc. All WASD + move to pick something up for me.

I'm starting to think that I'm the only person on the Watch that played PC games with controls similar to DAI.

Considering I'm controlling my DAI character the same way I did in DAO and DA2 (talking about WASD + RMB for mouselook + get near loot to pick it up + pause at the start of combat to issue initial command to party), it's just feel really weird to read all the complains about it.

I just fired up DAO, loaded an old save and fooled around for an hour (just in case I was in a really bad mood yesterday). The only thing that managed to accomplish was to make me feel so melancholic…

I can not, for the life of me, recall anything as bad as DAI user experience. Maybe there were also driver-hardware issues along the terrible camera and controls. Anyways I'll give DAI a try again in a couple of months if things improve. (Probably much later because Witcher 3 will be out by then)

I think some of it may just be auto-attack, which DAO and DA2 has but DAI does not. I think that is what is making it stand out as so clunky to me. I have trouble keeping up with the mobs and I want to click on a mob and have my guy run over and attack and stay on the mob doing the basic stuff so I have a chance to move my mouse around and click on abilities and do something.

With no auto-attack it becomes much harder trying to manage combat, for me at least, and apparently many others.

I will repeat, for the umpteenth time, it is an annoyance not a game breaker. I like and enjoy the game - just wish the PC interface was better thought out to be more enjoyable and smoother. Even the simple addition of auto-attack would really help out.

Back
Top Bottom