Mickey, Meet Yoda: Disney to buy LucasFilm for a lot of $

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Link to article.

This could be awesome or terribad. Seems like Disney want to make SW films after SW films.

The deal also involve LucasArt, this mean we might see more SW games in the future though. *crossfingers for good RPGs*

Last edited:
Well, it's been dead to me since Lucas ruined it - so it can only go up from here.

That said, I have no reason to believe Disney wants to do anything special. Seeing as how the franchise is still going strong even after being turned into shit - they don't have to make much of an effort. They just have to market it to high heaven and let hype do the rest.

But it would be really interesting if they handed the movie over to people with passion and talent. The setting has almost infinite potential.

Yeah, I just came here to post about this. LOL!!!!

Now that I think about it, however, it's a miracle that Hollywood has staved off the sequel machine for this long with the Star Wars franchise. It's most of what they do these days.

http://updates.kotaku.com/
star_wars_at_disney_5.jpg

$4B for the whole thing? Why did Lucas sell for a bargain price? A single Star Wars film should make them close to $1B with cinema, BD, re-releases and franchising, especially with the Disney machine behind it.

Lucas has enough money to ditch the SW lemonade and return to good old days of filming some serious art (hint: THX 1138).

$4B for the whole thing? Why did Lucas sell for a bargain price? A single Star Wars film should make them close to $1B with cinema, BD, re-releases and franchising, especially with the Disney machine behind it.

Well because Lucas has lost his passion for the entire business. During a recent article he said he was dissatisfied with the current film industry. He said he would never direct another Star Wars movie.

LINK-http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/magazine/george-lucas-red-tails.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

The star wars magic is long dead IMO, it was a combination of the tech available at the time, the actors, etc.

It needs a "batman begins" type reboot, and for those recent 3 prequels to be stricken from the record.

I liked the movies, but not much of the "expanded universe". TFU was - in my view - the death spell, or how it's called.

It needs a "batman begins" type reboot, and for those recent 3 prequels to be stricken from the record.

It doesn't really need a "reboot", they just have to put the new stories in another time period. There is no lack of lore and history for the Star Wars Universe anyhow.

It's weird that Disney paid 7 billion for Pixar studios but 'only' 4 billion for Lucasfilms. Lucasfilms is also behind Indiana Jones, etc. I would have never thought Pixar to be valued that high, especially in comparison to Lucasfilms.

Disney will pay about half in cash and half in stock, issuing 40 million Disney shares in the transaction.

The deal follows Disney's acquisitions of Pixar studios for $7.4bn in 2006 and Marvel comics for $4.2bn in 2009.

He will likely continue to receive some royalties once the $4B is recouped (with interest).

It's weird that Disney paid 7 billion for Pixar studios but 'only' 4 billion for Lucasfilms. Lucasfilms is also behind Indiana Jones, etc. I would have never thought Pixar to be valued that high, especially in comparison to Lucasfilms.

The revenue from all the Pixar films and toys is at least comparable, but it was worth even more to Disney because had Pixar gone to another studio it would have resulted in some stiff competition. At the time of the acquisition, Disney was earning more revenue from the Pixar films compared to its own 2D animated features.

Perhaps they'll make a film set in the time of KoTOR with Revan as the main or even a support character!!

Generally not too bad I hope - I actually like it when movie characters suddenly break into song, see 'Southland Tales'- , but I'm pretty worried about the future of The Clone Wars series (rights: Warner Brothers) which happens to be my favorite part of the SW universe since '77.

Who would you guys want as a director for the new trilogy?

I'm trying hard to think about this… I think it should be fresh blood with a love of Star Wars. Someone who understands the value of the setting and the power of its potential.

Hmmm…. I'm not sure I can think of anyone. I'd love to see someone like Aronofsky try his hand at Star Wars, but I doubt he'd be interested.

Don't say Whedon, please, because he doesn't understand the appeal of taking things seriously. He's good with jokes and pop dialogue - but he wouldn't be able to pull this off.

Hmmm…

Who would you guys want as a director for the new trilogy?

I'm trying hard to think about this… I think it should be fresh blood with a love of Star Wars. Someone who understands the value of the setting and the power of its potential.

Hmmm…. I'm not sure I can think of anyone. I'd love to see someone like Aronofsky try his hand at Star Wars, but I doubt he'd be interested.

Don't say Whedon, please, because he doesn't understand the appeal of taking things seriously. He's good with jokes and pop dialogue - but he wouldn't be able to pull this off.

Hmmm…

I dont know, the aborted sci fi Firefly was easily better than the newer trilogy. It had humor, sure. But it had everything else too.

I dont know, the aborted sci fi Firefly was easily better than the newer trilogy. It had humor, sure. But it had everything else too.

It was good entertainment, but it was ultimately hollow. Whedon is good at providing entertainment - but he's not someone I would want for a serious treatment of Star Wars.

Case in point: The last episode of Firefly with that assassin character. Really interesting and engaging. Great dialogue and funny jokes. But it all ends up being nothing at all. Nothing is actually said - and we simply have things mused upon by a good actor.

But that's me, and a lot of people probably just want more popcorn ala Avengers.

The more I think about it, the more I think Ben Affleck would be a great choice. He's a big Star Wars fan - and he's something of a geek. He's also proven himself to be a fantastic director.

I think it would be really interesting to see someone like him take it on.

But I fear they will go with the likes of J.J. Abrams or Whedon. They're probably safer in business terms, because they appeal to the masses in a very big way.

Generally not too bad I hope - I actually like it when movie characters suddenly break into song, see 'Southland Tales'- , but I'm pretty worried about the future of The Clone Wars series (rights: Warner Brothers) which happens to be my favorite part of the SW universe since '77.

The Clone Wars is made in house by LucasFilms Animation (Singapore studio). This mean the 6th season will just move to the Disney Network, unless they break the current contract for the 5th season. Also, the Star Wars comics are probably going (back) to Marvel (owned by Disney) once the current contract end with Dark Horse.

Their might be a few others contractual none-renewal when Disney already have a "medium" to publish the content in their holding.

Star Wars has pretty much lost its shine for me since the prequel disappointment, followed up by almost every recent Star Wars video game being a pile of crap. I'm past caring what they do with the franchise.

Back
Top Bottom