Dungeons and Desktops @ SlashDot

magerette

Hedgewitch
It's not often we post a book review in the news section, but this one over at Slashdot is an exception due to it's subject matter. The book is titled Dungeons and Desktops:The History of Computer RolePlaying Games, by Matt Barton, and covers the history of computer rpg's from the "golden age" of the '80's and '90's to the present.
..,"The Golden Age Part I" covers the period of time that many consider to be the era of the CRPG, when companies like SSI, Origin, Interplay, and New World Computing dominated not just the CRPG industry, but the computer game industry as a whole. Ample coverage is justifiably given to SSI's Gold Box games, including Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, and Pools of Darkness. Somewhat curious (to me) is the omission here of any discussion of AD&D Second Edition, which was released in 1989 and officially introduced the concept of THAC0 (which appeared in Pool of Radiance). Other titles covered in this lengthy chapter include: SSI's Krynn trilogy and Savage Frontier games; the original Neverwinter Nights on AOL; Ultima V, VI and VII; Wizardry VI and VII; Might and Magic II, III and so on; Neuromancer; and Interplay's Wasteland...
Barton ends the book with a discussion of the Modern Age, "which we are in today." The chapter covers Neverwinter Nights and its sequel, as well as Vampire: The Masquerade and Bloodlines, and Knights of the old Republic and its sequel. After a mention of Fable, Oblivion, more Final Fantasies and Zeldas, and a discussion of why console-based CRPGs seem to be winning out, Barton closes out the book with a look at MMORPGS, from Meridian 59 through WOW and DDO (and every major title in between). He notes (quite properly, in my opinion) that an MMO like WOW has trouble handling a central story and plot as adeptly as a CRPG can, and points out several "emerging trends" concerning CRPGs...
Of course, it is Barton's voice which makes the book entertaining; this is no dry history, but the enlightened point of view of a student of CRPGs, shared with the reader in a casual, accessible manner; in many ways, it is a bold manifesto in their defense. Says Barton: "CRPGs are not only the most fun and addictive type of computer game, but possibly the best learning tool ever designed." You may disagree with that, but you can never dispute the author's own dedication to that belief.
The reviewer concludes with this summary of the book:
Dungeons and Desktops is a mixed bag, somewhat akin to a sack full of Halloween candy. There are some genuinely good pieces of sweetness in there, as well as a great deal of hidden, forgotten gems and some bits you never knew existed. Despite a bit of a jumble towards the middle, taken as a whole the book is well worth picking up if you're a fan of CRPGs or fantasy games in general.
More information.

Funny. I thought I heard about this book the first time here on this very site (else I'd have written a recommendation). Ordered it right away and have been swept back in time ever since.
A very nice read for anyone keen on cRPGs, either by reminding you of the great times you had with a number of near-forgotten titles, by showing you what you missed out on, by confirming you opinions on a number of classics or even by providing the completist in you a good shopping list for the vintage game section of eBay.
I was very hard pressed to come up with a single title of the 80s and 90s that this guy has missed. Impressive.
(I found a couple, eventually - Daemonsgate, anyone? ;) )

Funny. I thought I heard about this book the first time here on this very site (else I'd have written a recommendation). Ordered it right away and have been swept back in time ever since.
A very nice read for anyone keen on cRPGs, either by reminding you of the great times you had with a number of near-forgotten titles, by showing you what you missed out on, by confirming you opinions on a number of classics or even by providing the completist in you a good shopping list for the vintage game section of eBay.
I was very hard pressed to come up with a single title of the 80s and 90s that this guy has missed. Impressive.
(I found a couple, eventually - Daemonsgate, anyone? ;) )

I don't think he "missed" Daemonsgate. "Avoided like the plague" is likely more accurate. ;)

I don't think he "missed" Daemonsgate. "Avoided like the plague" is likely more accurate. ;)

Nothing wrong with Daemonsgate you could train you characters in upwards of 3 skills!!!! Having said that it gets points in my book for coming with a VHS video with the intro to the game on it (beats the rubbish FMV intros of other games of the time) - shame that the actig was a rubbish as ever.

Still this book looks good I may pick up a copy and wander down memory lane.

To be fair, I didn't played Daemonsgate much. I tried it, and at first it seemed nice enough. I liked walking around the rather large city trying to find the way out (it was besieged, if I remember well, and getting out was the first main quest), and recruiting a party while doing so. However, when I eventually got to the first battle, I was, well, disappointed, to say the least. Everyone, enemies and allies, looked the same, except that one side was one color while the other was another one. And wasn't it real time? Seeing this, I quickly dismissed the game as crap, and never touched it again.

Back on topic, that book might be interesting, if only to discover games I know nothing about.

Yeah, that sounds like a fun read, learn about some games I missed. Unfortunately, whenever I get reading about older games, I get way nostalgic and really depressed about modern games!

I think I will check out that book and see if he missed any games rather then me missing some of the game he wrote about.

Back
Top Bottom