Might & Magic X - Review @ RPG Codex

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The RPG Codex has released a new review for Might & Magic X: Legacy. If you read the previews on the site before you know what to expect. Here is a small part of it.

The Might and Magic Legacy is Alive and Well

The final verdict should be obvious by now: MMXL is a must-buy and a must-play. Limbic did a superlative job in bringing together many beloved elements from the series, improving where they could and not dumbing down where it matters. The flaws are immaterial in the grand scheme of things; Limbic have proven they can make a real (and good!) M&M game, and they have certainly proven that they can make an excellent turn-based tile-based blobber with all the joyful gameplay elements that entails. All Ubisoft needs to see is that there is a market for this kind of game, no matter how niche. MMXL may not be the best M&M game to date, but it's more than good enough, and if Limbic can iron out the flaws in the combat system and improve exploration and other aspects, then MMXI will really be something special. I'm certainly looking forward to it.
More information.

I look forward to MM 11, too -> good detailed review.

"…HOMM5 was a pretty good game in its own right…"

I quit reading from there !

I liked HoMM5 (and 6) a lot. Sure they were no HoMM3, but after the toilet paper sorry excuse of a worm-infested puppy HoMM4, guess anything is good

I also don't understand what's wrong with HoMM5. It's not stellar, still it's good and fun game.

Anyway, I'm not gonna read the whole codexian review although this is true:
MMXL is a must-buy and a must-play.
I'd just lose nerves if I visited that site, so it's better no to.

Good review. The flawed combat and overworld exploration reinforce my decision to wait for a sale on this one.

Nice to hear about the decent Dungeons and puzzles though. I know I am going to enjoy this, for the right price ;)

I personally think its a great game. Normally I don't play games right when they come out, but I did with this one and don't regret it in the least. I also liked HOMM5. Its not the best in the series, but it I gave me hours of enjoyment. I think this holds true for all MM games by Ubisoft, though: if you can't enjoy Might and Magic without science fiction elements, or in a relatively generic fantasy world (instead of the somewhat crazy old MM worlds), you won't enjoy any of their games.

I liked HoMM5 (and 6) a lot. Sure they were no HoMM3, but after the toilet paper sorry excuse of a worm-infested puppy HoMM4, guess anything is good

I actually really liked IV, never understood what the big fuzz was about. III was stellar, V was ok. Stopped playing VI long before getting anywhere in the campaigns though, didn't really enjoy it as much.

OT, good review. I agree with everything he writes. His comments about combat are spot on, as is the rest of the review. Good work Codex.

I'm about 95% through and can honestly say this is now in my top 3 modern crpgs (the others being FO:NV and DA:O - I hated Risen and Skyrim, Witcher 2 was playably OK). M&M X has all the old school charm with very delicate streamlining of things that imho were genuinely chores. I'd never played any previous M&M games. So far clocking in at around 80 hours and I think my cat died because I didn't feed him for 3 straight days and nights.

The combat is excellent - glorious turn based with a combat log and stats galore, and the puzzles themselves can sometimes take 2 hours a piece and there are millions of them. There is no handholding - if your memory isn't great, have plenty of paper handy.

The only negative to me is the importance of selecting the right party - you should reading some forums before rolling or (like me) you'll restart because you can't finish act 1. Also there seems to be a weird difficulty spike after Seahaven for until about 3 level ups, though maybe I went the wrong way. And I personally would have liked to see more choices and consequences (perhaps with factions) given there is no VA and they could have let their hair down a bit in that department.

Special thanks to rpgcodex for educating me on what this game really was - so many sites were bombing this gem with middling reviews and I nearly missed it.

I'm not going to say it's the "best", because I know it has technical/design flaws, but I will say that I'm pretty sure M&M X is the most actual fun I've had playing a CRPG since probably Wizardry 8, or maybe ToEE. Sure hope it sold well enough for M&M XI to happen.

H4 was great, improved on 3 which improved on 2 which improved on the original in my opinion. I loved H3 at the time but now can't understand what all the fuss is about.

The less said about H5 and the absolute crap that is H6 the better. Both games will be the only Might and Magic games I wont finish. The expansion for H6 will also be the first Might and Magic game I wont buy.

H4 was great, improved on 3 which improved on 2 which improved on the original in my opinion. I loved H3 at the time but now can't understand what all the fuss is about.

The less said about H5 and the absolute crap that is H6 the better. Both games will be the only Might and Magic games I wont finish. The expansion for H6 will also be the first Might and Magic game I wont buy.

H4 was great, if you're looking for examples of how to fill your hard drive with random strings of 1s and 0s. Basically the AI was non-existant (you could literally press 'end turn' and watch the AI go back and forth between two spots, or walk by empty castles leaving them alone, etc. Also, they could have just removed recruitable units for all the good they were. You could just end the game with just the 'hero'. One spell would insta-kill every oppossition (except dragons, they required two turns). Honestly, I had to see a psychiatrist for the brain damage I incurred when I played it.

HoMM 3 was my favorite but I also enjoyed 4. Just glad people on this site also enjoyed M&MX. Does anyone have sale figures on M&MX? Would really like to see another game made. I know a few of my buddies are waiting till the Mac release.

No idea what the sales have been like, but I think it was a reasonably big hit considering the kind of game it was.

It was really high up on the Steam sales list for a while, but dropped off a lot pretty quickly...right now it's way behind Banner Saga and Blackguards, which I doubt is a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom