Darkest Dungeon - Preview @ IGC

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
A UK site called Invision Game Community published a preview of Darkest Dungeon.

While I understand that Darkest Dungeon is meant to be a roguelike, the death and penalties you suffer through playing the game seem to deter me from continuing rather than make me strive to be better. Some of the areas take a large jump in difficulty and sometimes force you to lose to learn the areas and come back with a different team setup to beat, which adds to the repetitive nature of the game even more so. The fact my characters are Level Locked out of areas really put me off, I found it annoying that my favourite character had to stand on the side lines because he felt “This area is too easy”.

The systems at work in Darkest Dungeon are the most interesting I have seen from the genre in a long while and I could see myself enjoying the final product, but right now it feels the mechanics have be exaggerated in the early release to show off what the game is meant to represent. I feel as if the values and points need to be scaled back a bit to allow for a more fluid and calming ride rather than at the moment where every 5 seconds I hear my characters shout “We aren’t going to make it out of here”
More information.

"my favourite character had to stand on the side lines because he felt “This area is too easy”

I'm sure that balance is important, but that might put me off as well.

Back
Top Bottom