Morrowind - Better with Age

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Gameinformer thinks Morrowind has gotten better with age.
Yeah, this is going to be a hard sell to some people who haven’t played this one, I’m sure. Morrowind is the 3rd game in the venerable elder scrolls franchise, and one that has remained in people’s minds for years after its release, and it’s a pretty damn fine game even setting aside its issues.

But it has major issues, make no mistake and they do impact the game. The combat is awful, with random number generation guiding the damage you and enemies do, spells being useless without taking the required college course in how to actually cast spells worth a crap, and ugly, ugly graphics. And while some enterprising gents are hard at work restoring this beautiful work from its age based decay, I find myself musing on it.“But wait!” You cry, filled with the corrective righteousness that all comment sections have at least one advocate for, “this is an article called better with age, not worse with age!”And yeah, you’re right but I feel like not acknowledging this games flaws is disingenuous to its legacy. I won’t send out people to look at it with rose tinted glasses, but will instead demonstrate why it rises above that and ultimately why it is, in my eyes, better with age.

It should be titled 'Morrowind - Better with MGSO'

Without mods, Morrowind has definitely not aged for the better.

Hmm... if I read that, it's going to make me want to start a new game of Morrowind, isn't it? They'll make a special trip, just for me.

Did anyone try that "Skywind" project? I've seen a couple of videos…but, with all the praise for all the effort they've put into this, it just doesn't feel right.

I think it's much worse with age, frankly.

Eh... No. Even with huge amount of flaws that were very much apparent in it's time, that magic, that lore remains. If anything I appreciate it more, because of how horribly dull and uninspired Skyrim was.

IMO Morrowind didn't age well, sorry.
I refuse to use mods. But then again, the article wasn't about mods, right?

Eh… No. Even with huge amount of flaws that were very much apparent in it's time, that magic, that lore remains. If anything I appreciate it more, because of how horribly dull and uninspired Skyrim was.

To each his own.

I think Skyrim is vastly superior in almost every way.

Why refuse to use mods? I absolutely have no idea, how anyone could go through hundreds of hours of any Beth game on the console.

While I wouldn't mind seeing the Morrowind remake with Skyrim's version of Gamebryo, I would rather see new stories, such as Faalskar and the upcoming Enderal, Shards of Order. Speaking of which, that should be getting close to done. It's been almost 4 years since Skyrim was released and Nehrim took them 4 years and two months to do.

I'm with DArtagnan: I don't feel it has aged well at all, with or without mods. The basic gameplay just isn't up to par compared to Skyrim, TW3 and so on.

Playing Morrowind, or any elder scrolls game for that matter, is like eating food without any spices what so ever. Just bland (and why would you do that to yourself? Not putting any spice in your food that is).

Anyway, most of the issues that people have with Morrowind these days (the boring combat for an example, or the dialogue system) were issues that people had with the game back when it was released. But I think that the main thing that made Morrowind worth playing back then still makes it worth playing, and that's the interesting setting and all the lore.

Playing Morrowind, or any elder scrolls game for that matter, is like eating food without any spices what so ever. Just bland (and why would you do that to yourself? Not putting any spice in your food that is).

Before FO3, I would have agreed with you. But I think FO3 and Skyrim are both great games out of the box, though they share similar massive flaws.

Anyway, most of the issues that people have with Morrowind these days (the boring combat for an example, or the dialogue system) were issues that people had with the game back when it was released. But I think that the main thing that made Morrowind worth playing back then still makes it worth playing, and that's the interesting setting and all the lore.

I'd second that.

I hated the animations, the ultra-dull combat, the repetitive dungeons, the awkward dialogues, the boring loot, the endless brownish grey and so on upon release, and I still hate those aspects of it.

Problem is that time hasn't been kind to the best parts of the game, which would include the scenery and immersion.

Both have been vastly surpassed since that time.

Before FO3, I would have agreed with you. But I think FO3 and Skyrim are both great games out of the box, though they share similar massive flaws.
Skyrim was the first Bethesda game that I enjoyed out of the box since Daggerfall (I don't really enjoy Daggerfall anymore...). But even then, I think it gets a massive improvement from mods, to the point that I can't justify starting it without first modding it. Fallout 3 was a game that I never really enjoyed (while I think that New Vegas was worth playing even pre-mods)

I'd second that.

I hated the animations, the ultra-dull combat, the repetitive dungeons, the awkward dialogues, the boring loot, the endless brownish grey and so on upon release, and I still hate those aspects of it.

Problem is that time hasn't been kind to the best parts of the game, which would include the scenery and immersion.

Both have been vastly surpassed since that time.

I still like the setting in Morrowind, and outside of the ash covered areas (which were a large part of the map), I quite like how the world look, even to this day (though these days the world looks prettier than it used to due to high res textures and things like that). It's mainly down to the fact that a lot of Morrowind has a rather unique look to it that I personally still think holds up.

Replace dungeons with metros and grey with green and that pretty much describes Fallout III.
You literally "floated" above ground in that game...even Houdini couldn't pull that off:p.

I think I see a pattern Dart. Yesterday it was shit on Baldurs and today it's shit on Morrowind. If it ain't shiny and new its shit is that it?

Replace dungeons with metros and grey with green and that pretty much describes Fallout III.
You literally "floated" above ground in that game…even Houdini couldn't pull that off:p.

It's true that FO3 had a lot of issues too, but it had fantastic exploration - which is something I love. I also really liked the combat system and the perks. Animations were definitely "awkward" - but still about a billion times better than in Morrowind.

Morrowind had crappy exploration and a terrible progression system, sadly.

I think I see a pattern Dart. Yesterday it was shit on Baldurs and today it's shit on Morrowind. If it ain't shiny and new its shit is that it?

Some patterns are easy to see when you start out looking for them and ignore everything that doesn't match.

Does it bother you that much when people speak their minds? You better get used to it :)

Calling Baldur's Gate truly special is hardly "shitting" on it, is it?

BG is one of my favorite RPGs, so I think you need to invent another pattern based on your frail emotional state.

Back
Top Bottom