Watch Dogs - can you run it?

Well an 8 core (unclocked) processor with a hefty graphics card, 8 GB of RAM, and dedicated API at its current selling price is a decent system in my view.

I am not a console gamer (never owned a console since the original Atari!), but also not a PC enthusiast - so I only upgrade my system once every 5 year if necessary. The PS4 specifications to me are very good, with proper and optimised programming for the device's API.

Eh… I'm not gonna buy a console. Not now, not ever. I'd rather spend some more cash on getting better PC parts. Sure, I can't play some console exclusives, but I've said it before - they lost the money by being exclusive.

About my desktop PC the thing is that the casing is almost a decade old and I've upgraded each part in it at least twice. It's time to change the box too. Why? I want at least one USB 3.0 port on the front side!

The only "problem" is to determine the wait time. I don't need a new PC today, but since Watch Dogs opened Pandora's box, some new titles will demand the same or even more resources. Damn I wish Xmas sales were today…

Watch Dogs looks more like it has a crap engine than this being a new norm for games. It doesn't even perform well on the next-gen consoles.

This is what happens when new consoles get released and developers can't make enough improvements to their engines before releasing the game. Just compare Oblivion with Skyrim on the xbox360 for example (Oblivion was a release title for the 360).

Also, Watch Dogs recommended spec aren't that different from Battlefield 4 recommended and that was released last Fall.

Battlefield4?
IIRC it's EA's MMO.
I'd cut my both arms off before buying such game. :)

But I'm not talking about recommended specs. I'm talking about minimum specs. ;)

Watch Dogs is only special in term of minimum specs, but only because it's a new engine and it never had to support the older hardware like Frostbite has (or other engines).

Well an 8 core (unclocked) processor with a hefty graphics card, 8 GB of RAM, and dedicated API at its current selling price is a decent system in my view.

I am not a console gamer (never owned a console since the original Atari!), but also not a PC enthusiast - so I only upgrade my system once every 5 year if necessary. The PS4 specifications to me are very good, with proper and optimised programming for the device's API.

For the price the specs and games are good I think and if the added mouse and keyboard support I might play my ps4 more. Well ps4 exclusives that is.

I don't think there bad at all but not high end pc comparable.

Unclocked? Everything I've read said 1.6 ghz. The graphics in ps4 compute performance is 1.76 TFLOPS. For comparison a 780 ti, which I would consider high end is 5.04 TFLOPS at stock settings.

Having said that though, those numbers don't transfer equally when talking graphics quality because of factors such as optimization and overhead.

It's a moot point though since we will never see a game that takes advantage of what a super high end pc can do. So most high end pc's won't look significantly better than a mid range pc or console.

Just so you know, Ubisoft expects to sell more than 6 million copies:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/15/ubisoft-hopes-to-sell-over-6-million-copies-of-watch-dogs

As a total on all platforms of course.
IMO if they were playing smart they could have done it on PC alone. After Rockstar refused to put GTA5 on PC, all Ubi needed to do was to hint "hey PC gamers, forget GTA5 we're bringing you similar if not even better thing… that doesn't work only on expensive machines!". Sadly… They didn't do it.

I'm just one of those who planned to buy the game, but had to drop it because of it's min. requirements. Eventually, when I get the better machine, I'll buy it, of course. But it'll be on some huge pricedrop.

I dont quite understand the hefty cpu recommendation considering that the jaguar cpu used in consoles is almost nonexistant in comparison. Jaguar is meant for light internet browsing, not games.

Required console cpu:
AMD has stated jaguar is 15% faster clock per clock then Athlon 64 X2 from 2006

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/i7-cpu-vs-ps4-amd-jaguar-29380176/

Recommended pc cpu:
Core i7 3770 @ 3.5Ghz or AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0Ghz (eats jaguars for lunch and is still hungry)

I think they've put that recommended CPU just because.

A few of us mentioned new Wolfenstein and bugs it has so the performance drops on 10FPS, even less. It's official min. requirement is i7. But I've seen on steam forum it runs flawlessly on i5 too - the problem people have with that game is unoptimized and buggy graphics code.

I think they've put that recommended CPU just because.

A few of us mentioned new Wolfenstein and bugs it has so the performance drops on 10FPS, even less. It's official min. requirement is i7. But I've seen on steam forum it runs flawlessly on i5 too - the problem people have with that game is unoptimized and buggy graphics code.
Well between FPS slowdowns, and the pop in textures I just about had it with the new Wolfenstein. Seems the game suffers from the same problems Rage had.

It just proves again that mega textures are not the future. Hopefully Watchdogs doesn't suffer from the same problems on release, and it shouldn't.

If I recall Ubisoft is using the same engine from Assassin's Creed IV called Anvil Next.

Update: Here is a link that talks about the problems that Wolfenstein: The New Order has. I'm afraid I wont be buying The Evil Within as it uses the same engine.

Link -http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/05/21/wolfenstein_new_order_performance_review/5#.U35TnCjiFc8

Last edited:
For Watch Dogs, Ubisoft Montreal built a new game engine called Disrupt.
Says wiki. But AnvilNext has a part in it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disrupt_(game_engine)
Dunia has also it's part in it. If it matters, Far Cry 3 with it's jawdropping visuals that uses Dunia worked without a glitch on my (soon to be) old machine.

If watch dogs is good I might buy it for wii u just so I can play it remotely on the gamepad. And occasionally use the gamepad features with tv if they are good.

Next week I probably won't be busy with stuff so I should be able to play it immediately. Dunno about Wii but expect notes on the game from me in a few days when it gets released for PC.
And it'll be the core game (deluxe version whatever it contains). I'm done with scams so am not buying Season Pass crap nor any nonstandalone DLC ever again. More on the matter, and not by me, you can see on gamespot player comments:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/he...s-season-pass-including-cyborgs/1100-6419286/

339hx6a.jpg

Anyway, GreenManGaming gives already -14% on preorder plus -25% with voucher, so I just need the game now:
2zh1mrm.jpg

Last edited:
After watching that it looks like GTA wannabe, not what I thought the game would be.

GTA wannabe? You mean it's sequels won't be available on PC for at least a year after console versions and ports will suck? :D

If anyone is interested, a guy tested for Forbes Watch Dogs performance with different cards over the weekend:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...results-multiple-amd-and-nvidia-cards-tested/

Don't take it as a "done deal", both nVidia and AMD released new drivers that boost performance so expect some better numbers than these in the article.

[EDIT]
uplay is down. Probably so many downloads of watch dogs just crashed the server. which means I'm not be able to play it today, perhaps not even tomorrow as I can't download the game at all.

And angry customers managed to shoot down the forums too.

iyk5ub.png

Last edited:
Ack! Nassty UPlay thing! The sign hurts us, we can't hear the machine!

Back
Top Bottom