Icy - A post apocalyptic Ice Age RPG

Will absolutely back this one. The one thing I didn't like with Zaharia was the setting.
Post apocalypse however is my favorite one.

I also think that Icy isn't really the best name though. If you really want to go with it, take a subtitle, which says anything about the game. Icy alone doesn't really stand for anything and doesn't even describe the setting.

When I read "Icy" I had to think of Fire and Ice, and I didn't even play that game!
76408-fire-ice-amiga-screenshot-game-1s.png

Maybe you can find a name which represents the setting (Like Wasteland, Dragon Age, Fallout, Might & Magic....) or the core gameplay (Minecraft, Don't Starve, NEO Scavenger...)

Unless you want to keep the option to do a KS campaign on top of an indiegogo campaign, I don't think that indiegogo is such a good choice. It will be even harder to be picked up by media and people like to use what they are already familiar with.

I also think that Icy isn't really the best name though. If you really want to go with it, take a subtitle, which says anything about the game. Icy alone doesn't really stand for anything and doesn't even describe the setting.

Maybe you can find a name which represents the setting (Like Wasteland, Dragon Age, Fallout, Might & Magic….) or the core gameplay (Minecraft, Don't Starve, NEO Scavenger…)

Hmmm… Let's see. Iceland… No wait, that won't work. Err, how about Snowman's Land? :D

Ice Age…no, no… Fallout..Ice… Nuclear Winter?

Might & Magic. Ice & Guns? Snow & Cannibals?

Icecraft.

Don't Freeze?

Ice Scavenger. Cryo-Scavenger?

Damn it! Naming games is hard.

nuh uh, I named it several posts ago and it is descriptive and tells what the game is about in 2 words :biggrin:

Okay, how about Frozen Apocalypse: Ice Lands or FAIL :D

nuh uh, I named it several posts ago and it is descriptive and tells what the game is about in 2 words :biggrin:

Okay, how about Frozen Apocalypse: Ice Lands or FAIL :D

Sounds a little too "simple" but is probably the best till now imho. ^^

Since we'll do an awesome survey for the final name, keep suggesting both good and stupid names, I'll take note of them.

We thought to add a subtitle, something like "journey on the White Wasteland", but it could be funny to run a survey.
Unless you want to keep the option to do a KS campaign on top of an indiegogo campaign, I don't think that indiegogo is such a good choice. It will be even harder to be picked up by media and people like to use what they are already familiar with.
As I said, it would've been a waste to spend a third of our budget just to keep our access to Kickstarter, that's why we will rely on Indiegogo which is available in our stupid country too.

Since you're watching :)

1) Nuclear Winter
2) Perma Frost
3) New Pluto
4) Solstice
5) Post Humanity
6) Winter's Sun
7) Frozen Winter Cold
8) Climate Changed
9) Snow Gains
10) Winter Awful-Land

As I said, it would've been a waste to spend a third of our budget just to keep our access to Kickstarter, that's why we will rely on Indiegogo which is available in our stupid country too.
I fully understand but some people wont back Indiegogo projects. As for me I backed a few on Indiegogo so I have no problem with your decision. ^^

A new update, announcing our imminent Indiegogo campaign and covering the scavenging system.

We gladly announce that our Indiegogo campaign for Icy will start in the next days. We aim to find the few funds we needs to properly polish Icy, in order to offer a better experience to all the players. With the occasion, we will cover another core mechanics in Icy, the scavenging.
At a first glance the scavenging system may appear similar to the hunting one, but offers different rewards and also a different approach to the situation.
Just like it is for hunting, the player’s scavenging skill is really important to increase the loot and reduce the risks, but a good scavenger need also proper tools to go through blocked or dangerous path, that are also the most rewarding paths since various generations of nomads already looted what was easier to loot.

2-1024x576.jpg

To trigger a scavenging event the player must reach one of the many scavenging areas placed all around the map: farmhouses, gas stations, warehouses, apartments or even small ancient settlements lying in ruins. Just like it happens for hunting, the player will be able to decide whether to invest more time in the activity lessening the risks or to do a quick but dangerous scavenging in the area.
Scavenging is risky because of many different factors: the ancient buildings may lie in ruins and every step may lead to a collapse, many building relied only on electrical lighting to light the inner rooms and wandering in the dark may be risky, a scavenger willing to reach a higher floor whose stairs are fallen may have to climb his way up and falling down could mean getting hurt, even badly.

3-1024x576.jpg

While scavenging the player will at first have an overview of the area he/she is scavenging in, then he/she may trigger a secondary event that is related to a specific situation, like a closed metal door or a massive hole in the ground that prevents the player to reach the opposite side of the room. That’s the moment when the proper tools may come in handy and the experienced scavenger can use a crowbar to force a door, a lockpick to open a sturdy chest, an explosive to blow up a fragile wall or a rope to help himself to climb without many risks. The player will be able to find those kind of tools around the world, scavenging, or to buy them in the various settlements.

1-1024x576.jpg

According to the specific situation, there will be different ways to get through the obstacle and obtain the loot and each tool has certain pros and cons. A crowbar and a picklock may both be useful to open a door, but while the crowbar is not that light to carry around, the lockpick is small and light weighted. On the opposite side, the lockpick is a valuable item that can be sold for some nice bullets and it can also allow the player to open doors that a crowbar doesn’t. Each tool is different and the player will need to plan what to sell, what to buy and what to leave behind.
Scavenging is the cheapest way for the player to obtain useful or valuable items, which can be used during dialogues, to appease a companion or to sell them in exchange of bullets. Having the right tool for the right situation will not only improve the chance of finding valuable loot during the scavenging, but it will also allow the player to have more ways to pass through certain obstacles during dialogues, gaining an advantage over a possible threat.

Since you're watching :)

1) Nuclear Winter
2) Perma Frost
3) New Pluto
4) Solstice
5) Post Humanity
6) Winter's Sun
7) Frozen Winter Cold
8) Climate Changed
9) Snow Gains
10) Winter Awful-Land
Took note!

I fully understand but some people wont back Indiegogo projects. As for me I backed a few on Indiegogo so I have no problem with your decision. ^^
Since Indiegogo allows paypal payments, we believe we'll be able to reach our humble goal anyway. Of course Kickstarter would have been better, but sadly we had no choice.

Hehe, well, these snippets constributed in various ways ;)
1. The silly humor was nice
2. The "finally a girl" was cute :p
3. While the microphone was bad, it gave a big releave when the "real" footage was shown and the mic was crystal clear. So it kinda lowered the expectations and then surprised positively

Hehe, well, these snippets constributed in various ways ;)
1. The silly humor was nice
2. The "finally a girl" was cute :p
3. While the microphone was bad, it gave a big releave when the "real" footage was shown and the mic was crystal clear. So it kinda lowered the expectations and then surprised positively
Sadly we had some microphones on us, but the sound wasn't registered properly. Thankfully we had a decent sound recorder placed in front of us, that did surely better than the microphone on the camera.

Backed and I've already begun spreading the word. I created a GOG wishlist entry for the game. The more votes it gets the better chance of convincing GOG to sell the DRM free version there: http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/icy_journey_on_the_white_wasteland

And aside from that it's a bit of potential publicity for the IG campaign.
Thank you! That's really nice of you!
To be honest I didn't even know GOG changed their policy about publishing stuff, some months ago they only needed a working build.
I'll immediately spam this thing around.

Love the setting and the look of the game-play, and well done on the video - short, informative and with a nice sense of humour. So I've backed it.

Good luck with your game!

Thank you! That's really nice of you!
To be honest I didn't even know GOG changed their policy about publishing stuff, some months ago they only needed a working build.
I'll immediately spam this thing around.

As I understand it, GOG wishlist doesn't work exactly like Steam Greenlight. There isn't any magic number (i.e., you still have to send them a working build and show them the game is high quality). However, if you get a lot of votes, it could help convince them that there's a market for this game and they should sell it there.

And if nothing else, if you can get a lot of votes in any particular week, the game will be shown on the front page where lots of GOG users may stumble on it.

BTW, don't forget to post an update on your Zaharia Kickstarter telling people about the Icy Indiegogo... Unless that's against Kickstarter policy or something.... but well, in that case just post an update about your recent development diaries for the game. I'm sure that a lot more of the 700+ backers of Zaharia would be interested in supporting this.

Love the setting and the look of the game-play, and well done on the video - short, informative and with a nice sense of humour. So I've backed it.

Good luck with your game!
Thank you!
It seems like this time we managed to do a decent video!

As I understand it, GOG wishlist doesn't work exactly like Steam Greenlight. There isn't any magic number (i.e., you still have to send them a working build and show them the game is high quality). However, if you get a lot of votes, it could help convince them that there's a market for this game and they should sell it there.

And if nothing else, if you can get a lot of votes in any particular week, the game will be shown on the front page where lots of GOG users may stumble on it.
Oh, nice.
Well, thank you for helping us, it's really important since Icy is quite a niche game and we appreciate any kind of help. And you won a free beer for the next time you'll be hanging around Rome!

Congratulations on launching your Indiegogo Campaign OwNathan. I made a new news-bit on our front-page with the information you sent me.:celebrate:

Back
Top Bottom