Thief 4 - Somewhere Between Sequel and Reboot

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Edge-Online has an article about Thief 4. The article goes into length about being respectful to the old games, and on being a reboot.

The first words spoken by shadow-hugging anti-hero Garrett in almost a decade are carefully chosen: “I’ve been away, but I couldn’t tell you where.” In that wry, noirish tone of old, they acknowledge his absence and also address the conundrum of bringing him back – the balancing act of continuity and reinvention at which Eidos Montreal proved itself more than adept with 2011’s Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

In some ways, this is a fresh beginning. The ‘4’ is gone from the title – a blessing, since at last look it appeared in the middle of it – and the game is aimed at PC and the next gen, confirmed for PS4 and “other next-gen consoles” (read: the new Xbox). These decisions are linked: Thief is now a new game for new machines. But it’s also still unmistakably Thief, a firstperson stealth adventure set in a world built around shadows, light and stealthily cracking people unconscious with a sturdy blackjack.

Certain building blocks have been identified as crucial to the Thief experience. Garrett is one of them. The 30-minute gameplay demo Eidos Montreal has readied for the press shows a scarred, angular hero strapped in buckled leather layers up to his high, peaked hood. The obvious concern is the jollification of this dark hero to appeal to broad console audiences, but if anything the new Garrett threatens to be too snarled, too icy. He delivers his signature line during a monologue – “What’s yours can be mine” – and it seems a shade more purposeful and directed than the appealing bow for hire of the original games. The team, though, see him as essentially unchanged. “The Garrett I know is back,” says producer Stephane Roy.
More information.

Last edited:
God, this could and should be great. Glad they're making it for next-gen consoles as it will mean they won't emasculate the PC version as much. Unless they truly do build it for PC first which... haha riiiiight.

Lets see if they can make this game series progress. Somehow, that series was quitted when AI (to serve a gameplay) seemed to be pushed to the limits.
Time to see if they can move the throttle on that one or will do a mere update, with some cool concepts tossed around here and there.

Lets see if they can make this game series progress. Somehow, that series was quitted when AI (to serve a gameplay) seemed to be pushed to the limits.
Progress? What progress? The AI in stealth games has not really improved over all these years (unless you count The Dark Mod). Thief did everything, that Hitman, Assassin's Creed, Deus Ex, Metal Gear, Splinter Cell, Dishonored etc. did and in many cases it did it much better than all the later stealth games combined. I've yet to see such an advanced integration of sound into gameplay.

One of the most awesome things ever was the Thief mod for Oblivion. It basically moves all the most important gaming elements from the Thief series to Oblivion.

I first tried Vanilla Oblivion, quit it because I hated the levelling. One year later I started over, installed OOO, and a dozen other mods, including the Thief mod.

The game was amazing after that. And since Oblivion was sometimes pretty damn hard with all the mods installed, all the thieving stuff really helped, especially water arrows and noisemaker arrows.

Back
Top Bottom