Subscription model for high end gaming in the future

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

I think it will happen and will curb piracy at the same time.

In the far future… the bandwidth on that would be immense. And computer technology will always outpace the rate of growth for ISP infrastructure… so any cloud-based renderfarm would forever be at a disadvantage, playing a game of catch-up.

In the far future… the bandwidth on that would be immense. And computer technology will always outpace the rate of growth for ISP infrastructure… so it'd forever be at a disadvantage, playing a game of catch-up.

Depends on how high end we go. If it is just 1080p we are almost there. True that bandwith is the problem though.

What you consider 1080p is only 24-30 frames per second. Given that fluid response time in games requires 45-60 (double that for 3D), I'd contest the idea that we're almost there.

24" monitors + 1920x1080 resolution has also been the status quo for quite a few years now as well… so better plan ahead for 2560x1600 on 30" monitors.

Case in point, the telecom infrastructure will never keep pace with on-site computing power.

From what i understand its isnt the fps that is the issue, it is the ms that is from your node to their node and back that is the issue. You can minimise it, probably by making the video as unimportant compared to the data of your controller like todays modems can tell what data is more important.

They are saying they will deploy it to US and Japan first and then 6 years later to the countries.

Subscription = me not buying.

What I see in that video is just a multiplayer game engine and it is going to follow any multiplayer game out there...

Agreed.Luckily we will always have Indies who hopefully won't embrace that crap.

As i said high end gaming. You would probably only need a $100 box and a monitor to play something like dragon age 4 to play. Might not even need that.

ISPs should remove data limits and fair use policy first... If I install gta5 I can not watch Netflix for 2 weeks. Ridiculous.

As i said high end gaming. You would probably only need a $100 box and a monitor to play something like dragon age 4 to play. Might not even need that.

Do you seriously believe EA would do that?
Man, they released Sims 4 as 32bit game last year. When was the last time you saw 32bit only AAA title? No, there is no 64bit exe.
They wanted to sell as much copies as possible by selling a game that can work on a toaster. Of course, the game looks dated and noone is happy.

From what i understand its isnt the fps that is the issue, it is the ms that is from your node to their node and back that is the issue. You can minimise it, probably by making the video as unimportant compared to the data of your controller like todays modems can tell what data is more important.

They are saying they will deploy it to US and Japan first and then 6 years later to the countries.

I think you're right. FPS and resolution aren't really the roadblock - using H265 compression you can stream 4K right now over a decent ISP connection. The problem is latency.

If you had a single wire running from your PC to the streaming company's server, the two way connection could work with very acceptable latency (probably less than the display latency in your monitor). But on the internet, that data has to traverse an unpredictable network of servers, routers, etc - each with varying levels of performance, capacity, and traffic. The latency is not likely to be acceptable to a serious gamer.

I have heard about plans to host game servers at ISP's data centres, to get as close to a single wire as possible. Quite a tall order, but there's interesting potential. In theory, they could stream from dedicated gaming super-computers, to deliver graphics way beyond what is currently possible.

Do you seriously believe EA would do that?
Man, they released Sims 4 as 32bit game last year. When was the last time you saw 32bit only AAA title? No, there is no 64bit exe.
They wanted to sell as much copies as possible by selling a game that can work on a toaster. Of course, the game looks dated and noone is happy.

They will will probably have a wait and see approach and they try to steal it somehow. EA doing what it does best.

I assume this would work the same as nvidia's grid?

I've played the witcher 2 on wifi when out of town and it worked acceptably. I would think with wired connections it would work real well.

Several companies have tried to do pure streaming to basically no success as its too expensive to run full simulations server-side most of the time. I think a lot of companies are going to try the local client with critical functions on the server. Basically follow the MMO model of having the expensive calculations be local on the client so rendering 3d models and what not while the infrequent loot calculation is done on their servers.

EA tried this with Simcity and got some serious smack down as a result and Maxis is dead as a result however NCsoft's Guild Wars seems to have done fine. I don't think that examples like Simcity will be then end of it though because its too seductive to for big companies mine information from users and if it also slows piracy that is also good.

Big companies know what the audience wants but they feel like being a god who needs to teach people what should they all like.

That's why simcity failed. It was not server/client model attempt that was a problem here. It was again EA's biggest sin, not listening to fans.

There is a nice recap on this among Kotaku comments:
"Our number one priority is to give our fans the SimCity they deserve as soon as humanly possible"

Wanted to play the game at launch, had to wait 1-2 weeks

Wanted to play saved games, instead got files deleted

Wanted Larger Cities, instead Got DLC, brand deals

Wanted Working Traffic, instead Got more DLC

Wanted modding, Instead got more DLC

Wanted creation tools, Instead got more DLC

Wanted refund for a game, Instead got accounts banned

Wanted to complain game is not working correctly, instead charge people

http://kotaku.com/ea-wins-award-for-charging-people-to-complain-about-s-1453761200

Anyway the Kotaku article is a good history on the problems, lies, and messes
http://kotaku.com/5991077/your-complete-guide-to-the-simcity-disaster

Back
Top Bottom