360 or PS3 for console RPG?

360 or PS3 for console RPG?

Hehe. It's still early to compare them when they haven't got enough game support yet. PS3 will probably be my choice because of its blue ray and its reputation for solid hardware. Backward compatibility is not necessary since I own a PS2. Adding a HDTV will make my home look like a warehouse; I will have to think of something.

Not even The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past or Chrono Trigger?

Well you can play Chrono Trigger on the PS2 :) And come on, Zelda is NOT an RPG. It's not even RPG Lite.

Persona 3 & 4 were refreshing takes on the genre and not only that, they got right what most of us play RPGs for: characters & gameplay. Persona 4 has some of the best written characters in any RPG and for a game set in high school it has the most mature, thought provoking and believable dialogue.

If we're talking overall gaming then I would probably pick the SNES. Super Metroid is probably my favorite game of ALL TIME. I loved Castlevania 4, Mario Kart, Blackthorne, Demon's Crest, ActRaiser 2, Super Empire Strikes Back and many others including the FF games & Chrono Trigger.

There is an exclusive to PS3 and worth mentioning although it isn't an rpg. Its name is INFAMOUS. I heard it's really good. But I am out of place here although I only want to use the thread.

BTW, the incentive to buy a PS3/360 will depends on the exclusive list and the superiority of the graphics of the shared games over the PC's.

Last time, when I bought my PS2 from DELL, I was using an older computer which only allows me to play games with minimum requirements of 800mhz. With the PS2, I was able to play lots of newer titles. This pays off well over 5 years until I got my new gaming rig. I admit very tempted to do the same.

Last edited:
According to your game choices consoles are not suitable for you, best upgrade your PC. But, if you do, Xbox 360 is clearly a winner. X360 have some unique titles that can categorized under RPG. Fable 2, Lost Odyssey and Too Human, for ex. Fable 2 is a great game and provides the gamer lots of freedom. Although i am not quite fond of japanize RPGs, Lost Odyssey amazed me, i could not play other games until i finished it last year. The story was well writen. Not, some boy saving a kingdom. It resembles Planescape Torment in this aspect, and clearly a must buy if you have X360. Too Human is an action RPG in the setting that combines norse mythology and cybernetics. This game did not sell well, but i liked it anyway. Different control style rather than traditional console control style, but try it.

Then there is Fallout 3, Sacred 2, Mass Effect which also shows itself on PC platform. But, i played Fallout 3 on my console, because its controller is so comfort, and not giving my wrists aches after long gaming sessions, not like keyboard and mouse.

Also there are some JRPG titles: Infinite Undiscovery, Blue Dragon (both two are unique to X360), The Last Remnant, Eternal Sonata, Tales Of Vesperia.

Also lots of RPGs will come for X360 as well: Alpha Protocol, Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2, Divinity 2, Risen, Arcania: A Gothic Tale, Fallout: New Vegas, Bioshock 2.

Add to this the non RPG titles like Gears Of War 2, Alan Wake, Brutal Legend and X360 is definitely a must buy for most gamers.

If you want to buy it buy the elite version which comes with an 120 gb harddisc. Therefore you can install games on your harddisc and play games with less loading times and noise.

Don't forget, the DS also can play any GBA game. And the GBA has quite a few good titles, both RPG and non RPG. I actually have regretted getting my PS3, and wish I'd gotten a DS instead. I'm seriously considering selling it on Craigslist and going in and getting a DS. Far more games on it, or for that matter the PSP than the PS3 or X360 that I want.

azraelck;1060956427I actually have regretted getting my PS3 said:
I'll trade you my DS Lite for your PS3, settled! :)

I'll trade you my DS Lite for your PS3, settled! :)

If your serious, PM me about it. My PS3 is literally gathering dust right now, due to a lack of engaging games on it. And I'm annoyed because Gamestop lied about it being BC, when it was a later model without any BC.

Whereas my gameboy still gets some play time, even though all the games I have on it are well worn, and I have issues with the screen size and lighting (original GBA, with no light).

If your serious, PM me about it. My PS3 is literally gathering dust right now, due to a lack of engaging games on it. And I'm annoyed because Gamestop lied about it being BC, when it was a later model without any BC.

Whereas my gameboy still gets some play time, even though all the games I have on it are well worn, and I have issues with the screen size and lighting (original GBA, with no light).

I use my PS3 like literally every day. Subscriptions to Blockbuster and Gamefly, plus Windows Media Center take care of that. With Blockbuster I get DVD and Blurays, with Gamefly I get PS3 games (and there are plenty), and with Windows Media Center I get to stream movies to the TV from the computer. It also has a browser so once in a while I watch a missed TV show.

Just as a sidenote, I found out this week that Ghostbusters 3 is published for PS3 NOW here in Germany, whereas ALL OTHER platforms get it only in October ... (At least Amazon Germany lists the PC version for only October.)

I find this idiotic, but Sony seemingly wants it so.

In teh news they say that sony has patented ps2 software emulator for ps3. If they release it I might buy the thing after all. Id really like that improved hd scaling for my ps2 games.

Allthough I guess they had no choice now that PC finally has a working ps2 emulator. I havent tried it but it might offer better image quality than what ps3 can offer even.

I got an XBox360 and, even if it's library is bigger than PS3, the pickings are slim. Lost Odyssey was a pretty good one. (The short stories were surprisingly good, don't skip them!) Star Ocean: Last Hope has a good enough battle system but the story is a teenage angst story so it's failing pretty bad for this 43 year old. There are lots of other RPGs but they all play better on my PC, so why play them on my XBox?

(Actually, there's a very good reason. The XBox is in front of my excercise bike, which I really need to use a lot more!)

I use my PS3 like literally every day. Subscriptions to Blockbuster and Gamefly, plus Windows Media Center take care of that. With Blockbuster I get DVD and Blurays, with Gamefly I get PS3 games (and there are plenty), and with Windows Media Center I get to stream movies to the TV from the computer. It also has a browser so once in a while I watch a missed TV show.

The problem is I'm not really all that interested in 90% of the games out there. Unending variations of the FPS don't really interest me much; I'm still playing Doom and the original Call of Duty, and having a blast. The platformers have fell from grace, Sonic has only been tolerable at best in the 3D era. Mario has had two games out. GTA 4 I got bored with, wishing I was playing Vice City again.

Pretty much the only PS3 games I played extensively were Mega Man 9 (which is designed like a NES game!), and LEGO Batman. I'm interested in GT5, but it won't be coming out until 3012.

This is in stark contrast to my PS2 and Gamecube. I have a shelf full of my favorites from those two alone, and a couple shelves of games that were just "ok". I got rid of the ones I didn't like.

Compared to the PSP and DS, the PS3 is sorely lacking. I only stopped playing my PSP because it stopped working.

The problem is I'm not really all that interested in 90% of the games out there. Unending variations of the FPS don't really interest me much; I'm still playing Doom and the original Call of Duty, and having a blast. The platformers have fell from grace, Sonic has only been tolerable at best in the 3D era. Mario has had two games out. GTA 4 I got bored with, wishing I was playing Vice City again.

I'm with you, and still I've played a bunch of games from my Gamefly account. That I remember (non FPS):
- Bladestorm (good)
- Valkyria Chronicles (very good)
- Disgaea 3 (good if you can get over the style)
- Armored Core 4 (meh)
- Heavenly Sword (good but short)
- Ratchet and Clank (good)
- Untold Legends (ok)
- Viking (ok)
- Folklore (good)
- Cross Edge (good but tough)
And I still have Eternal Sonata, Infamous and a bunch of others in queue

I'm with you, and still I've played a bunch of games from my Gamefly account. That I remember (non FPS):
- Bladestorm (good)
- Valkyria Chronicles (very good)
- Disgaea 3 (good if you can get over the style)
- Armored Core 4 (meh)
- Heavenly Sword (good but short)
- Ratchet and Clank (good)
- Untold Legends (ok)
- Viking (ok)
- Folklore (good)
- Cross Edge (good but tough)
And I still have Eternal Sonata, Infamous and a bunch of others in queue

I own Heavenly Sword. Bought it solely because I played a demo is a store. It was ok, but like you said, short. RE5 is good, but I really suck at the RE4/5 style of play. I loved Mega Man 9 and LEGO Batman, and had a little fun with GT5:p.

You can add Ghostbusters to the list I'm interested in, though I probably won't like it. Not fond of the play style.

That's the whole problem. I could have had loads more fun by spending the same money on a DS, new PSP, and many more games. Even the PSN isn't helping, though it has killed some hours with stuff like Wild Arms.

In teh news they say that sony has patented ps2 software emulator for ps3. If they release it I might buy the thing after all. Id really like that improved hd scaling for my ps2 games.

The very, VERY first editions of the PS3 had a special emulation chip built-in, if I remember that correctly.

This was shortly after that cut for cost reasons, if I remember it correctly, this was done for the european versions of it.

As far as I understood this this means that with this chip many more PS2-games were able to run on the PS3, but but now they're fewer games which do it.

So, these machines should be very rare right now, I guess, but I haven't heard of any way to tell them.

Just found this article about it : http://www.destructoid.com/sony-patents-ps2-emulation-software-for-ps3--138022.phtml

The machines aren't particularly rare, but they are unusual on the market. No one wants to give up promised features for a gimped system.

Initially, it was software + hardware emulation; the PS3 included the PS2's chipset. Then it was software only, which cut the number of games down to near nothing, and now they have no emulation at all, in stark contrast to earlier statements made by Sony reps.

If you knew how to decode them, the serial numbers should be fine for determining what system your looking at.

GTA 4 I got bored with, wishing I was playing Vice City again.

Well then you should play GTA: Chinatown Wars for the DS :)

Great game, didn't lose much in the transition to a portable. In fact, the new gameplay additions due to the stylus and dual screen of the DS improve the core gameplay nicely.

Star Ocean: Last Hope has a good enough battle system but the story is a teenage angst story so it's failing pretty bad for this 43 year old. There are lots of other RPGs but they all play better on my PC, so why play them on my XBox?

I was hoping they would port Star Ocean: Last Hope to the PC, I've wanted to try it ever since seeing the commercials. I purchased the Star Ocean games for PS1 and PS2 last year off Ebay, even though I haven't gotten around to playing them yet.

Well then you should play GTA: Chinatown Wars for the DS :)

Great game, didn't lose much in the transition to a portable. In fact, the new gameplay additions due to the stylus and dual screen of the DS improve the core gameplay nicely.

Then I need a DS now don't I? :p

Don't make me regret my PS3 purchase even more. Gonna see what I can pull for it now.

Back
Top Bottom