Gothic 3 Hostile Orcs in Varant

cerberus9090

Frank Horrigan
Hey all, posting for the first time here.

Ive been playing Gothic 3 for some time now. I am in Varant, and I ran into trouble because every orc there is now hostile towards me in any city. This happened after I killed the orcs at the excavation site in the ruins. But that was a different location, now the orc in Lago and the ones in other towns are automatically hostile at me (red) with the intent to kill.

If I kill them, I need to be far from the city to avoid pissing off everyone, and I still get in trouble for muder.

Any idea how to fix this, because it appears to be a bug. Thanks!

Heh, I have a better one (somewhat similar) for you...
I was in Montera finishing up some quest when suddenly, every NPC
from the lower part of Faring streamed through that gates and killed
me on the spot !

I reloaded and there they still are, camped in front of Montera no
matter where I go or how much time passes between visits to Montera.
Lower Faring is ofcourse empty now... I cannot be sure, but this may be connected to me helping the Rebels in the North of Montera, kill an Orc
patrol that happened by, when I was there. Perhaps that Patrol was
from Faring (quite long ranging eh ?) And the citizens "magically" knew
of the Murders ?! Ofcourse the rest of my description should leave no
doubts that this is a bug and an ugly one at that.

PB really needs to fix these things (sorry cerberus9090 but I think we
both have to wait for a patch and possibly restart or use an earlier save
at that).

These and the awfull Balance (Last patch may have made things
worse actually there)...

I would go back to an earlier saved game where your reputation is not tarnished.

Re: [Of course the rest of my description should leave no doubts that this is a bug and an ugly one at that.]

No, it isn't a bug, if you read the official manual (or on dvd-disk .pdf file) as well as the publicised pre-release info's, it is well known/documented that there will be "consequences" throughout the gothic-3 world for your actions. Two levels, one at local town level and one at world level (per the factions). To assist in this decision making PB have conveniently introduced colour-coded highlight text on characters - beasts/animals - chests etc'

I am at level 70 and no orcs have yet been killed by my own hand (summoning animals and beasts however, is a different matter!) and is the way to go as there are no "consequences" for animals or beasts actions.
This is of course learned from the druids while the redeemer/decider travels throughout the land. All quite simple and self explanatory storyline stuff.....don't you think? :)

The problem is that this type of consequences may generally (nearly) ruin the main quest. Yes, from one point of view, this may be called 'realistic' but I don't think the game schema should allow this. The main quest should have as many branches as needed to allow it to be finished without big problems no matter what type of characters you decide to play.

As an example, if you decide to go strictly with rebels and support them by liberating town after town right from the start, it may make all orcs hostile (which is ok) but it may prevent you from getting some main quest stuff which is really important (so then you have to go for forums/walkthroughs to be able to continue with the main quest (which is not ok in my opinion)).

@ Wulf : ?!!

So having the townspeople of Faring Camp outside of Montera for the rest of the
game seems logical to you ? And even if those orcs were from Faring (I was
grasping at straws there admittedly). Having noone witness the fight should
result in the townsfolk to travel halfway across the map and not follow me but
stand in front of the nearest town to the location of the murder instead of
attacking me when In the vicinity of Faring ?!...

No dont bother answering. There is no doubt what is going on here. PB does not
need this kind of incensible defending (They need to take a few deep breaths
probably because it seems they are in a kind of Panic lately, releasing patches
that fix one thing and break two). They need detailed feedback from the Users
since its obvious that they still are unable to properly test a game of this
complexity. So in retrospection I should be posting this somewhere official.

Any suggestions anyone ?

@JonNik-
i had that same thing happen my 2nd play through the game and i didn't liberate any towns the entire game. to me it happened while entiring okara my last area to 'clear and quest' in myrtana. it was insane to see all these people from the other end of the kingdom storming the rebel base. but i know the cause for the bug and it is not related to global reputiation. a few hours earlier i had spotted a few orcs near the pass to varant being attacked by beasts. they weren't hostile but in my attempt to help kill the beast a stray hit struck them and they turned hostile. so i finished them (~3) off. before this i had never attacked any wanderer as i had no idea how they were 'attached' to towns. there are many slaves and such that you find walking the paths in the game from time to time. this makes me believe that they must be tied to specific towns. so those orcs must have been somehow attached to faring. as they were the only ones that turned hostile. the must have traveled all the way from faring to attack me after i started killing their townsfolk.

i know that is a stretch but that is the only logical explanation. the question is what are the bugs? should there be no 'travelling' of townsfolk from one to the other? should they be 'unflagged' as members once they leave the areas? its most unrealistic for a city to know that you have attacked its members though if they are far away for sure.

@curious

Well It is possible that the omniscient townspeople (meaning : them knowing that
you killed the attached, as you put it, NPCs off site even though no NPC from the
incident survived) is a design limitation. Why not eh ? That other game had its
omniscient guards after all...

But having them magically hone in on you from halfway across the Map and get
stuck in a Particular location for the remainder of the game (I am 10+ hours
after the bug hit they are still there, only attacking if I get by) is clearly a bug. I
cannot accept that this was intended, it would bring a whole new meaning to
bad AI design if it was so.

So perhaps they (PB) could prevent this unrealistic behaviour and since they
are in the process of redesigning things (see: combat) perhaps bring some
more concistency with having a murder register in the town Level reputation
if there are surviving NPCs who witnessed it (i.e within radius). But I'm starting
to think this is a bug too ? After all theft Can be easily done without immediate
witnesses !

Sounds like a liberation quest has been triggered. These arent handled realistically at all. Once such a quest is started the orcs/hashishin/whatever from the location you are trying to liberate will come for you all over the place. I had orcs from the big smelter in Nordmar (a liberation quest triggered simply by entering a location, normally you have to kill off a certain number of people for it to start) come for me when I was close to the Monastery, which is pretty far from their stupid smelter. These guys shouldnt follow you across the map, and they shouldnt KNOW where you are if you teleport away and avoid going close to their home location. Enemies aggravated by a liberation quest also dont seem to go home once you are out of sight, but rather stay where you lost them... Its a feature that is working as designed, but the design is faulty and breaks if you dont finish liberating right after triggering the quest.

If that is the reason then you can solve your problem by liberating Faring. If you have magic its pretty easy to set up an ambush along the path up to the Nordmar pass.

Ridiculous design flaw if true imo.

Thanks for the suggestion Zaleukos. But I think I'll just abandon Faring for Now,
kill of the NPC's while I Liberate Montera and then kill my way into the Faring
castle if I need something from there (I would not like to liberate a third City
this early in my game to keep options with the Orcs open a little longer).

P.S
I totally respect and support PB's decision to stick with their Open ended overall
design for the record. I really like it generally speaking. I just wish they intensify
their testing procedures and make some things more intelligent (i.e the spreading
of news in the reputation layers) because frankly I'm starting to miss scripts
badly. This particular issue integral to the ,central to the game, revolution
mechanism should not have made it this far after the game's release.

Whole world?!

Oke,
I got the same problem as you guys in whole the world when i was suposed to kill the orcs at the excavation site it happened I killed them finished off the shaman cuz he wasnt hostile like the others were. I already had the town there liberated so I went to next town Geldern as I believe now those guys attacked me. Well I didn't care so much cuz this game is sucky anyway without patches its full of bugs it has a boring story and the quest are only search him kill them find that item. But i went on playing so I came into the desert and still every orc there is hostile to me you can understand this is pretty irritant cuz you cant complete arena quest and stuff and the orcs attack you in a city fighting back will cause the Hashishin going to help the orcs I mean wtf is this for a game?
They tried to made like a guy said Concequenses for your deeds ? But with making a quest that will make ALL orcs hostile to you they trusted me for 52% I mean I had executed the patrol and stuff but The makers of gothic 3...It was already the same in Gothic 1 Gothic 2 Gothic 2 expansion I hope it would be better though it wasnt...

Back
Top Bottom