Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Revealed

Looking forward to this. Hopefully it's a bit more challenging than Oblivion though. Also hope the character creation is a bit more detailed - more races etc. More skills would be good as well although that seems unlikely.

Well, both Fallout 3 and Morrowind were good, so I will most likely be trying this unless reliable sources tell me it's closer to Oblivion than any of those two.

There's a link to an interview in this thread in which Todd Howard says the engine is based on Fallout 3's tech.

Bethesda tends to toy with words and they're not being very clear here. I hope this means they reworked back up from base Gamebryo like the transition to Oblivion, but I fear Dhruin might be right and it might just be a heavily reworked Fallout 3 engine. That would be bad.

Actually I think that would be good - The FO3 engine worked pretty flawlessly for me, and I don't remember many problems in general. FO:NV showed what focussing on content instead of tech development can do for a game (plus actual talent, of course). I wouldn't mind seeing another handful of games on that platform. The point is moot though, even if the game is still rooted in the Gamebryo technology, it will be the next iteration, at least as different from FO3's as FO3's was from Oblivions.

The reason it makes sense to use the same engine, is that it's a proven technology for the consoles.

To make a truly "next-gen" TES game, you'd have a lot of trouble making them work on the current generation of consoles, whilst being a significant leap forward.

So, this makes sense to me - even if it's somewhat disappointing, because I think that one of the most exciting things about the TES games, is their ability to make technological leaps forward and make really immersive games as a result. At least if you look past the writing.

I hope they take a hint or two from the Fallout mechanics, but I don't really expect them to. They're sort of in a similar situation as Blizzard. They have two games that the entire world seems to love - and why mess with the core design aspects?

Certainly not to please jaded old-schoolers like myself, and so I don't expect much.

I just hope they care a bit more about the very serious crash issues so many people have reported having on PC with their Gamebryo games.

I just hope they care a bit more about the very serious crash issues so many people have reported having on PC with their Gamebryo games.

There was crash issues on the xbox as well. Big nasty memory leaks and from what I remember it was directly in the Gamebryo engine so they couldn't fix it themselves, they had to "patch" around it.

I think that they might have decided to change engine when they saw what modders did with OSBE. People started to mod the engine with it, adding new rendering, new memory allocation, etc.

Morrowind, Oblivion, and FO3 all used the Gamebryo engine, so that's at least 3 game I know of that Bethesda made using it.

I haven't heard anything about any new tech. Afaik, Bethesda is using the Gamebryo engine for Skyrim as well. I assume it will be modified once again, as they've done each time so far.

Perhaps, but remember that ID (Doom) is now a subsidiary/partner and came out and said that their new engine would be exclusively used by Bethesda corp. and themselves, no licensing out.

So there is the possibility I guess….

EDIT - well Google is my friend lol

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/13/elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-to-be-built-on-new-engine/

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/12/12/c...lls-v-skyrim-will-use-an-entirely-new-engine/

"Since Bethesda’s parent company ZeniMax now owns id Software, the second most popular theory was that Skyrim might use id Tech 5, the engine developed for their next game Rage. Apparently not – “all new” suggests this is one developed specifically for Skyrim, or at least not seen in other games yet."

Well so much for my theory lol ;)

Actually I think that would be good - The FO3 engine worked pretty flawlessly for me, and I don't remember many problems in general. FO:NV showed what focussing on content instead of tech development can do for a game (plus actual talent, of course). I wouldn't mind seeing another handful of games on that platform. The point is moot though, even if the game is still rooted in the Gamebryo technology, it will be the next iteration, at least as different from FO3's as FO3's was from Oblivions.

Why so positive. You know a good TES V bashing from you, despite the fact we have zero facts about the game yet, wouldn't kill you. :p

Good to know they're closing in on release within a year. Always good to see something new coming! Looking forward to more info, as this really didn't disclose much at all about the new game, sadly.

I'm hoping that this will be Bethesda's return to form after Oblivion, but I don't really see it happening.

You'd think if we're 11 months from release that we should start being bombarded by stuff after the new year. This is big news and all the paid advertising sites will want "stuff" from Bethesda.

You'd think if we're 11 months from release that we should start being bombarded by stuff after the new year. This is big news and all the paid advertising sites will want "stuff" from Bethesda.

January 6th should be the date...unless BSG release something before that.

Game Informer got a full month of Skyrim news starting with their February issue (Skyrim cover). Their January issue had an Elder Scrolls lore refresher in it...

Back
Top Bottom