Exp:Conq Expeditions : Conquistador vs The Witcher (continuation)

Expeditions: Conquistador

Which game should I play ?

• Expeditions : Conquistador

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • The Witcher

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Hello all,

Quick one. I have just finished my playthrough of Dishonored (main campaign and dabbled in Knife of Dunwall) and two playthroughs of Shogun 2(until the Realm Divide event).

I am now looking to start my next game.

I played through part of the witcher upto the first city a few months ago when my laptop died. So I wouldn't mind continuing that, but I have a bit of an itch of a more strategic type of game.
So I was thinking of starting Expeditions Conquistador which has been sitting on my gog shelf for a while :)

Which one would you guys suggest ?

No option to play both shame on you Pladio.;) I will have to pick The Witcher then.

No option to play both shame on you Pladio.;) I will have to pick The Witcher then.

Haha :D

I don't think I'd be able to finish both if I play them both at the same time. One RPG at a time is good for me, because otherwise I forget which part of the story I'm at and who each NPC is.

Probably would play the other one later on when I get some time.

I usually do play some other (non-RPG) games inbetween. Currently I'm still trying to beat FTL every few days :D This game is hard ...

I usually do play some other (non-RPG) games inbetween. Currently I'm still trying to beat FTL every few days :D This game is hard …
I'm waiting for the advanced upgrade to finally replay FTL. I still remember yelling at my monitor in rage as I died. Good times.:lol:

Not a big fan of the first Witcher - but I haven't actually played Conquistador - so my position is one of limited knowledge.

But they're so different that you should be able to decide based on your mood.

Witcher is a highly atmospheric RPG with lots of story - and Conquistador is supposedly as much RTS as RPG, and it doesn't strike me as heavy on immersion.

Personally, I found Witcher combat boring and the exploration quite rigid and linear. I hated the inventory and didn't take to the dialogue as much as most people seemed to.

That's about it for my two cents :)

Expeditions. While I haven't played that, if you've already played some of the Witcher and are wondering whether to continue it, maybe you should give the other game a try and see if it's more to your liking.

I mean if you really wanted to continue with the Witcher, you wouldn't be asking the question if you should play it or another game ;)

Usually I'd say go for The Witcher, what are you waiting for, install yesterday, and such crap. Because ppl tend to throw their money onto mainstream AAA grinders and modern frauds instead of the real art.

However Expeditions is a fun indie game you won't need much time to finish. Play that one first. And in a few days grab The Witcher, it won't escape anywhere.

My vote for Expeditions, basically because you said you wanted to play a tactical game, and witcher is basically your standard action RPG fare (not saying it's bad, but it is what it is), unless of course you want to see some naked women cards.

It also depends on how much time you want to invest. I have not played conquistador but I heard it was not long. The Witcher is about 40-60 hours long and is rife with choices and consequences.

I would personally recommend the Witcher. I enjoyed the combat in the Witcher and it becomes dynamic and varied in the later stages. You can also take a break from questing with mini-games (I liked the dice game and it is a game long quest by itself).

It's sort of a weird question considering how different those games are from each other. I think the obvious answer is to go with the type of gameplay that you're currently in the mood for.

That said, I consider The Witcher to be a genuine classic.

So I wouldn't mind continuing that, but I have a bit of an itch of a more strategic type of game.
With that in mind, go for Conquistador. It's kind of a refreshing gameplay, having to micromanage food and stuff in your camp while exploring.

Witcher imho is great, too. So play it afterwards. :)

Conquistador is supposedly as much RTS as RPG, and it doesn't strike me as heavy on immersion.
In fact Conquistador is TBS, not RTS. ;)

Well, I decided to play conquistadors in the end, partly because people said it was short enough.

It doesn't seem that short. Only finished the first island yesterday.
Story is quite fun.

I'm playing as a modern westerner with a penchant for killing virtual things though so I try using diplomacy when I can and then kill everything when I can't. I am also against slavery so that makes the game quite different.

I think this game might warrant a second play through at some point being a sadist asshole and see what happens.

I also picked my team mostly at random except for making sure I had no racists.

I think the game is very well made for an indie. I do miss good background music and I think ten immersion would have been vastly improved with good music.

Other thing I think is missing is some voiced acting. It doesn't need to be for all npcs but even if like fallout 1 it's for the important ones only it would have made a big difference in my opinion.

For the first island these would be the governor, Noriega, Esteban and leandra in my opinion.

Oh well.

Back to work tomorrow. Wonder when I'll finish the game.

I think the game is very well made for an indie. I do miss good background music and I think ten immersion would have been vastly improved with good music.
Woot? This game has awesome music! I remember reading an article highlighting what an outstanding masterpiece it is regarding reflecting the setting.

Personally I especially like the Combat track which sounds like "Running Up That Hill".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-woF5nb7H4&list=PL7n9Lk9WUhM—QO2z4VyhYFU-lBHIPlbq
I'd say that the music is one of the many strong points of that game.

Played 27 hours total in my let's play, and that was with skipping all the texts in the first campaign as I already knew them (about 10 of these hours were in the first campaign), so you got some stuff ahead of you.

Imho the biggest flaw in the game was the bad AI and therefore the lack of challenge. Played on Ironman Insane without much of a problem. But that was at release, they might have changed the one or another thing meanwhile.

Compared to witcher I'd prefer this game. Witcher had a great story and a nice world, but the combat was horrible imho.

Edit:
And found the Soundtrack review:
http://www.thegamescouts.com/2013/05/expeditions-conquistador-soundtrack.html
The most surprising thing about Badinella is the maturity with which he navigates the minefield of possible failure. He makes smart choices that open up new possibilities for him compositionally. He combines the use of ethnic instrumentation from the Americas with a nylon-stringed acoustic guitar. Badinella clearly has a deep love for and understanding of the guitar and it shows in how expertly he incorporates it into the games contemporary orchestral and flamenco themes. It’s the best of all worlds.

The battle music you link to is actually one example of what I don't like. It feels too subtle. The music is certainly good, but at the same time it's not poignant enough.

For example the Gothic 3 music for fights was very strong (even my girlfriend knew I had started a fight and she didn't even play the game once). It made it feel like a fight had started and it was suspenseful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhFDdJsSylU

I understand the music can't always be strong but it would have been good maybe even if only for the 20 seconds or so the enemy is moving, creating a sense of suspense.

Guess that is a matter of taste then. ^^
I remember pointng out how good the music was a couple of times while I was recording my lets play back then.

Back
Top Bottom