Crusader: No Remorse on GOG

Motoki

Keeper of the Watch
How is this game? I never actually played it though I remember it from way back when. To say I was not a fan of Ultima 8 is putting it mildly, but it seems like that engine would make for a better action game anyway.

It was a fun game. Not too hard, not too easy, nice setting, fluent gameplay. I have no idea if it would survive a modern-day playthrough without a spell of nostalgia, though.

I really enjoyed it. I don't know what i did with my old disc. I might just have to make another purchase from gog.com. They sure are taking a lot of my money with all the great games on that site.

I had a lot of fun with Crusader back then.
It's a 3rd person action game in iso perspective. You slowly and carefully blast yourself through huge levels with enemies and traps. There are switches and force fields here and there, a couple of traps, and a lot of violence. The production values were high. Crusader had the best animations, spectacular videos and a nice sci-fi atmosphere.

AFAIK the Crusader is mainly controlled with the keyboard while the mouse was used for aiming. He can roll to the side, jump forward, etc.

It's not an action-adventure as we know it today. More like a shooting puzzle game in which you move from level to level, get through traps, blow up stuff, find ways to safely take out the 3 guards ahead of you. So it has a slow but consistent pace. Talking is rarely necessary, if ever.
It has nothing in common with U8 except the engine.

I think it's definitely worth a look.

Is the sequel Crusader: No Regret is also on GoG?

Crusader: No remorse (and regret, they are rather similar) might be fun if you have not played them before, but it is not a safe bet. The controls are a bit clumsy, and the physics in the game can be odd from time to time. The live action FMV cutscenes (happens when you talk to people) are cheesy and entertaining though, and the action is, for the most part, satisfying.
I for one really like the games, but that is probably partially due to nostalgia. I also wish that they would make a number 3 (which they promised us! Part 2 even had an add for part 3 in the box).

It has nothing in common with U8 except the engine.
The way it handles falling objects is nearly identical, and just as flawed.

I agree Crusader is no safe bet. It polarizes quite a bit.

Is the sequel Crusader: No Regret is also on GoG?

Not currently. They just put the first one up, but are releasing their EA games in stages so I imagine it will probably show up at some point.

I love the Crusader game. Even now - today. Its a nice break with som good action mechanics reminsance of old Arcade machines. I think no remorse is a better game, no regret was just more of the same with added moves and better movies. I was really waiting for the sequel to no regret and was very dissapointed when i learend it was cancel.

Good to see they are made available through gog, i remember i did have hard time reading from my no regret cd last time. Hope they will release that one to.

Would i recommend it to anyone? Not on a forum :). But i would really recommend it to a friend.

Wow, what a memories from that game. It was the first game that made me shock and think, after shooting couple of workers, when I was teenager or so. But the graphics were very beautiful, at the time. But today, I guess it will get repetitive very soon. I actually have the boxed version on my shelf as well. :)

I loved these games, but was a little disappointed that they took out the "shop" in the second Crusader game. Other than that they're a blast.

Back
Top Bottom