Skyrim Avoid the Update?

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Badger

Watcher
Hi All, I just read the following;

"If some early reports are to be believed, you may be best served by avoiding the 1.2 update.

It seems that elemental resistances are completely nullified which (if true) is a pretty major screw up by Bethesda, perhaps anyone who did the update on PS3 the other day could confirm. I think I'll be keeping an eye on the official forums and playing offline until more details become clear."

I don't know how solid this is, but I thought I'd mention it.

(Edit: I've subsequently done some reading on Bethesda's forum and they do indeed have weighty patch issues! So be really careful. At least you PC users can return to a previous version. The console users are the real victims here. Luckily your Badger was warned before accepting the poisoned patch!)

While I'm here though.. let's pick yer brains a little :)

I can't think of a way to ask this question without writing at least a small spoiler, so if you're concerned about that please don't read on.

I just followed a misc quest to "Dragon's Tooth (or was it Dragon's Claw) Crater to "discover it's secret". I fought a Dragon there who was obviously a set piece Dragon as opposed to the ones who wander about and I crippled him, but couldn't kill him.

At a certain point my blows and arrows were just doing nothing to him and he just lay there looking rather sad and moving his head around to watch me as I wandered about and learned the power word to be had there. Now and again he blasted me with his ice breath, but it barely hurt me.

Question is.. plot event? Or more buggage.

Thanks all
Badger

Last edited:
I know I'm looking forward to the patch, tbh. Even on master mode the game is a joke, it's way too easy. Dragons should not be dying with only 4-5 arrows!

On another note, if they change my ability to train towns I'm going to be upset. There is nothing more pleasing after having a Jarl mouth off to me than bringing back a few dragons and giants to beat his bloody town down around his ears!!

-Carn

Hmm I'm thinking I should change steam to offline and avoid this patch, I like my elemental resistances! :rolleyes:

Daniel.

Ugh Steam downloaded it, as soon as I logged in... Guess I'm stuck with it then.

Daniel.

Too late for me too… :crybaby:

I just hope 1.3 will be out soon enough or fans will find a way to "cure" broken resistances.

I'm finding it totally unplayable now, even on apprentice mode I'm getting creamed by casters in the dungeons. The dragons actually seem easier if anything.

Even on master mode the game is a joke, it's way too easy.

Home sick today and been lurking forums about skyrim all day. Been reading everywhere that 'skyrim is too easy, even on master difficulty.'

Well, ok, I'll say it. I can't beat the first spider in the first dungeon quest you are sent to that you pick up in Riverwood. I can't beat it even on the easiet difficulty setting.

There. I said it. It's out there. I guess I really suck.

I tend to take a lot of posts about how easy it is with a grain of salt, it is the interenet after all. Some are power gamers maxing out things, others using exploits, others pure cheats, others just stroking the e-peen and some who are just very skilled and have mastered the game.

I play on apprentice/adept myself and find it to be just the right balance for me. Most fights I can do with just a little thought and my old hands and poor eyes don't have to stress to much about having the reflexes of a teenager but boss fights are usually a still a challenge and can require reloads or potions.

On the other hand I also impose numerous "rules" on my charatcer based on his personality. I only wear certain types of armor, I don't use certain skills I consider "dark", avoid evil artifacts, and numerous other things that help make the game challenging.

I see folks running around in top gear armor and weapons, everything maxed out in skills, grinding away at meta-gaming to reach a pinnacle of power and then complaining how easy it is.

I think it can be very hard to balance a game of this scope for all play styles.

EDIT: ALso it reminds me of Oblivion and how hard it is to please folks. You scale to much to make it harder and people complain. You double hit points and its lame. There will always be people who find it to easy/hard so the best you can hope for is the majority find it balanced ... and considering the number of forum users compared to sales I consider the forumites to be in the minority.

More bugs from the B-board

- ALL resistances are nullified (including magic and disease).
- Dragons flying backwards
- Some menus broken

Note that a lot of people's problems have been solved by removing all mods. Although the resistance nullification remains with all mods removed.

I'm playing a thief on adept and dragons kick my arse. Is everyone finding them easy.

how would one avoid the update? I have my settings so games won't update automatically but it did anyway. I caught it and paused the update. Then tried to goto offline mode but it said you can only run fully up to date games in offline mode. so I tried to just play with update pause and it finished the update before launching.

You can set Steam to offline mode, and manually revert to the files linked in the 1.2 patch newsbit topic. Offline mode SHOULD prevent Steam from any more stealth patches, according to others. Have no proof of it yet.

More bugs from the B-board

- ALL resistances are nullified (including magic and disease).
- Dragons flying backwards
- Some menus broken

Note that a lot of people's problems have been solved by removing all mods. Although the resistance nullification remains with all mods removed.

I was having trouble with the resistances but they seemed to resolve by rebooting.

The difficulty is kind of all over the place. I've been playing on Expert, and still, many bandits are push overs. Then every once in a while a bandit will pop up that completely steamrolls me.

I've moved it back to default difficulty because the tough enemies were so unpredictable… I can fight 3 bandits in a cave, and the fourth one is a damn superhero that mops the floor with me, repeatedly.

I basically tune out anyone saying games like this are "too easy" on hardest difficulty. They're either massively power gaming or lying. There's just no reason for power gaming in a single player game unless you want to ruin your own experience.

I heard it updates whether you are in offline mode or not. The only way to avoid it is to play from the exe, but they made it impossible to do so with that ninja patch.

Uh oh. Well let me give it try....

It looks like if you go to offline mode, quit steam, then manually revert, start with the all programs->steam->skyrim shortcut, it doesn't update. whew!

Awesome. Must be the ninja patch that updated whether you were online or not. At least that's what someone said here in the forums and why I've been avoiding Steam like the plague ever since.

Damn you Terraria!!!! I would have been just fine playing through the exe for quite a while if you weren't releasing your megapatch today :p Now I have to go to Steam to get it and the first thing it'll do is update Skyrim. Bleh!!!

Back
Top Bottom