XCOM - Review @ RPS

Dhruin

SasqWatch
We haven't been following XCOM: Enemy Unknown in detail but with the release imminent, it might be worth a look at Rock, Paper, Shotgun's review:
It’s a game about slowly moving your frontline forwards, meticulously ordering a squad of six1 from cover to cover and making a stream of tactical decisions in order to overcome an enemy that always, always outnumbers them. You’re directing a SWAT team that needs to stick relatively close together (not too close mind, unless watching a grenade liquidate four people at once turns you on), carefully clean out an area and move on, not the spread-out search and destroy agents of 1993. It’s faster and more furious than its 90s ancestor, but it is no less strategic for it.
It works. It better than works. XCOM is muscular, tense, thoughtful, mutable turn-based strategy with the dramatic, explosive presentation of a contemporary all-action game. Also, the environments get unavoidably trashed on a grand-scale, in a fashion all too rarely seen in either strategy or action games: these are true battlegrounds. No matter how well you do in a mission, you’ll leave a bombsite behind you. Frankly, you’re probably doing more harm than good to the world.
More information.

Bah, too much bullshit in that review (i.e. poor attempts at humor and snarky attitude), for me to read that crap. Sorry RPS, get a decent reviewer.

order to overcome an enemy that always, always outnumbers them.

That kills it for me. Too different from the original settings when aliens use their advance to reduce their number. Meaning you were outnumbering aliens at least at start.

Much better. Thanks! Too bad they had to waste resources on MP.

I normally support MP, but in this case I agree. This kind of multiplayer seems a total waste of time - and I can't imagine anyone getting much out of it.

Now, if they'd implemented cooperative multiplayer with multiple players on the campaign map (separate bases, and the ability to join tactical battles together, ability to play aliens with separate research tree, etc.) - then it would be another matter entirely.

It's something I've been dreaming about since the original X-Com - but I guess it'll never happen.

Back
Top Bottom