The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

I love acapella music, so I listen to a lot of Pandora and just choose that as the search phrase. Get lots of groups like Pentatonix, Home Free, Straight No Chaser, etc. I'm sure everyone will run out and listen to these :D

I have seen him live three different times …
- once back in '85, which was amazing and just astounding in what he was doing.
- again later when he nearly gave the whole show to Take 6 (a capella group) and spent more time sitting in a chair than singing … perhaps my most disappointing concert ever.
- Then again several years ago, and that was once again just stunning. Him, a microphone, a stage, and an absolutely enthralled audience.
As a teen, I knew him from his hit single "Don't worry, be happy" but I simply thought that he was a "simple" popular musician who happened to have a hit.

Quite recently, I "discovered" him and realised there was much more to him than I had initially thought. In fact, I never even realised that "Don't worry, be happy" didn't use any instruments at all :).

I love acapella music, so I listen to a lot of Pandora and just choose that as the search phrase. Get lots of groups like Pentatonix, Home Free, Straight No Chaser, etc. I'm sure everyone will run out and listen to these :D

Funny enough I am really not a fan of acapella music ... or really vocal music in general. McFerrin uses his voice and entire body as an instrumental palette - which I really love.

Midnight Odyssey - Funerals from the Astral Sphere

Midnight Odyssey - Funerals from the Astral Sphere

A (sub) genre that some might not be familiar with, I wasn't till about 6-7 yrs back ;)

(there's some who will argue the specifics of what constitutes the differences between Atmospheric/doom/folk/black/death/prog/post-prog...I just know I either like it or i don't when I hear it ;)

I think "Atmospheric Black Metal" fits this album/artist well...one of my favorites.

Hopefully some will enjoy. Good headphones help ;)

Regards

Rol

Agalloch - A Poem by Yeats

Agalloch - A Poem by Yeats

One of the first introductions to Folk/Doom/Black Metal I had…and it astounded and pleased me greatly, as I didn't know music like this existed at the time ;)

It's been a long journey since, but this song and band remain one of my all time favorites. At 49 yrs, I had long thought my tastes and favorites were pretty set…boy was I wrong lol

Thanks to another gaming forum where bands/songs were shared by an international member base I was able to hear and discover a whole host of sounds/tastes I'd never imagined. I still love the classics of rock/metal from the 70s & 80s I grew up on…but some of these bands seem to transcend into a realm beyond.

Anyway…check it out. (and anything by Agalloch really…though their earlier worlks tend to be a bit more on the acoustic/atmospheric style that I enjoy greatly.)

Regards

Rol

ps - this particular track has a distinct Dead Can Dance vibe/influence to it, with vocals reminiscent to the late Brendan Perry. If you happen to be familiar with their sound/work from the 80s/90s 4AD records ;)

Started today with this album. I always thought ELO was an interesting band

Mr. Blue Sky - The Very Best of Electric Light Orchestra

Great song!

Bought "Out of the Blue" double album when I was 12? Amazing album. I'd never heard a blend of electronic/keyboard chorus sounds before. When I listen now, it takes me back to those days in an instant. Was the first album I ever bought…well right after the Star Wars double Audio album lol (was the complete film sound/audio) ;)

Great time to be a kid who just discovered his interest in music!

Great song!

Bought "Out of the Blue" double album when I was 12? Amazing album. I'd never heard a blend of electronic/keyboard chorus sounds before. When I listen now, it takes me back to those days in an instant. Was the first album I ever bought…well right after the Star Wars double Audio album lol (was the complete film sound/audio) ;)

Great time to be a kid who just discovered his interest in music!

I was 8 years old when the album released, but this is one that I would sneak out of my brothers record collection all of the time (he was 16 at the time). Great band. Something different

@Sacred_Path Summoning is very cool! You might like these guys. Similar to a degree. Out of the Western US.

One of the very best Black Metal Albums of 2013 imo

Based on the Epic 10 Book Dark Fantasy series "Malazan: Book of the Fallen" by Steven Erikson.

Caladan Brood - Echoes of Battle (Full Album w/ Bonus Tracks)

The album just builds and builds. An amazing debut release from the band, looking forward to their next. Should be soon. (hopefully) ;)

Publisher note on the band:

"Epic Black Metal

When the first volumes of Steven Erikson's "Malazan Book of the Fallen" were published it became clear that the term "Epic Fantasy" had just been redefined. Even the works of J.R.R. Tolkien or G.R.R. Martin did not share the sheer size and complexity of the world Erikson had created.

"Echoes of Battle" is the debut album of this newcomer band from Utah/USA, and their songs are the Epic Black Metal interpretation of Erikson's Malazan books, not unlike what a certain band from Austria created for Tolkien's Middle Earth.

In fact, when you listen to "Echoes of Battle" for the first time you might think you're listening to the new album of that certain band from Austria, simply because Summoning defined this very style, let's keep calling it Epic Black Metal, 17 years ago on their "Minas Morgul" album and since then no other band has managed to reach the pinnacle of perfection Summoning held ever since. Until now.

What distinguishes Caladan Brood from a mere copycat is their ability to take what worked for Summoning and then add their own trademarks to it, such as clean male vocals and choirs or actual guitar solos, and forging all of this into something truly majestic, thus redefining the term Epic Black Metal in their own unique way, just like Erikson redefined Epic Fantasy with his books.

And while it's obvious that Summoning have been a tremendous influence for Caladan Brood, for those of you who, like myself, were waiting in vain for a new Summoning album and by now are ready to welcome an heir to the throne, for you "Echoes of Battle" may well turn into a 71 (!) min eargasm because it simply can't get any better than this. Everything on this release, the fantastic music, the great vocals, the massive sound, the attention to detail, the beautiful artwork by Albert Bierstadt, the poetic lyrics, everything works in tandem to create an album that will be enjoyed by fans of this style for years to come, and may even end up in many all-time faves lists. It really is that good!

Now, if your head is spinning from all the superlatives I'm throwing at you, consider the fact that we're talking about a band's debut album here, two youngsters that appeared out of nowhere, without a demo or any previous sign of life. Realize the level of perfection in terms of songwriting and musicianship they have already reached, and imagine what we may expect from them in the future…"

Hope you enjoy it!

Regards

Last edited:
Another amazing album I feel compelled to share. I promise the last for today ;)

Saor - Aura (Full Album)

Here's the publisher note:

Saor, meaning “Free” in Scottish and Irish Gaelic, is a one-man Atmospheric Celtic Metal band from Glasgow, Scotland, formed in 2012 by Andy Marshall.

Saor’s sound is a blend of styles influenced by Scottish Folk, Atmospheric Black Metal and Post-Rock, using traditional Celtic Folk instruments such as Tin Whistle, Bagpipes and Bodhrán together with the raw power and emotion of Black Metal and atmospheric elements of Post-Rock.

Lyrically, Saor deals with themes such as Scottish heritage, Highland nature/landscapes and sorrow, influenced by a deep connection to the Scottish Highlands and its culture and history. As well as composing original lyrics, some are derived from the works of famous Scottish poets.

Saor’s first album “Roots”, released in 2013 under the former bandname, received outstanding feedback from press and fans alike and ended up near or at the top of many “Album of the Year” playlists. Since the CD is out of print and Saor no longer has any affiliation with the label that released it, “Roots” will be reissued later in 2014 through Northern Silence on CD, as well as for the first time on vinyl. At the same time the vinyl version of “Aura” will be released as well.

If you are familiar with our previous releases but don’t know Saor yet you can expect atmospheric “Black” Metal not unlike Gallowbraid which, through its Folk influences, portrays the Scottish heritage and the magic of the breathtaking Scottish landscape in a manner that would make William Wallace proud."

~ enJoy ~

I hadn't heard of Caladan Brood before :) I like their use of choirs. Also they sound more "upbeat" than Summoning. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with Erikson's books, so it's lacking that thematic connection for me. But otherwise pretty cool.

I'm still listening to Mutineers album by David Gray (2014).

I recently decided to have a nosey to see if he'd done anything since Life in Slow Motion (2005) and I'm delighted that I did (how's that for backlogged!). When I got to youtube I discovered that he's done three albums since, after quite a long gap, the first one being Draw the Line (2009), though that one didn't quite do it for me. It has some great tracks, but it's by no means as addictive as Mutineers.

Mutineers is so addictive that I haven't even had the chance to give Foundling (2010) a proper listen yet. I read a review that said Mutineers is his best album since White Ladder (the one with Babylon on it) but I would go so far as to say this is his best ever. I've even had it on in the background to all my games as well as just casual night-time listening.

What's even better is that David Gray has his own non-Vevo Youtube channel and he's uploaded all his albums on there and you can go there right now and listen to them in their entirety for free. Completely free. Mutineers has me so addicted I went out and bought the CD within a week, and now here I am promoting it just for the sake of promoting quality.

I'm a tough guy to please when it comes to albums, but there's not one off-track on Mutineers and only one that I'd call 'just' ok. There are so many great tracks that I have no idea which ones to link to tempt you with!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBS6UgiYTr4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeRS_6S-OTw

One of my top faves Birds of the High Arctic only appears to be on the full album playlist, so I'll also just link you straight there:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQGX2r3T1iMtJFTuwmjmN3nONlBQrV439

When the mood strikes…many times while playing an ARPG or MMO, Tangerine Dream is always a good choice, when I'm not in the mood for metal.

Here's one of my favorite albums of their's (they've done many OTS)

Poor film adaption of the brilliant book by King imo But great soundtrack ;)

~ enJoy ~

Tangerine Dream - Firestarter

Back
Top Bottom