Drakensang: RoT Purchase Question

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Does anyone know if the U.S. version of Drakensang: RoT will ever have a boxed version? Or is it a digital-only release?

I don't know.

There seems currently to be no other method than to import it - from Benelux or from elsewhere.

I couldn't wait, so I went the Impulse route. I actually like their speed better than Steam, but I like the presentation of Steam better.

I'm in a temple looking for some seals and there are some nice little puzzles here. I still don't really know what I'm doing with skill use, but I've got lots of xp to invest after maxing the handful of skills I use with each character. I think I'm missing some stuff here, so I may have to max out the Dwarfnose ability. I have a feeling there is a secret door or two I'm missing.

Alrik, let me ask a spoilerish question
Can the demon I'm about to face be defeated without finding/activating the seals? I thougt it might be fun to try him without finding all of them. It could be scripted so that you need to find them all before being able to win the fight though. Please let me know.

I really enjoyed DKS and I'm really enjoying TROT. I'm planning on playing Drakensang after TRoT, because I never finished it the first time. My guess is that we probably won't see another true Drakensang game. There is another developer trying to tackle a DSA game, so I hope they succeed. The descriptions in TRoT assume that you have a basic knowledge of the system. They'll use things like "this spell costs 5 PsAs to cast and will drain 1D+1/SP" That means nothing to me.

First question: Is the value "D" the same in all instances? What is the value of D? I get that if it says I do 1D+1 at strength 11, that I'm doing one die roll + 1 damage because of my strength. What I don't know is whether a dagger's 1D is equal to a 2-hander's 1D. Also, spells seem to have different damages based on either character level or spell level. I have some spells that no matter how high I set the multiplier, do the same exact damage. Other spells, moving the multiplier even one degree makes a huge difference. The thunderbolt spell is good to bump the multiplier; the culminatio spell I can't tell it makes any difference at all. It might be that investing more points in culminatio lowers the spell cost, but I'm really not sure.

I don't know.

There seems currently to be no other method than to import it - from Benelux or from elsewhere.

Since I think there won't be any boxed english version anywhere apart from Benelux, do you know a retailer site or something (like ebay or such) where I can buy this Benelux version? I have searched the internet but I couldn't find anything.

@crpgnut : Yes, this is possible.
However, this is also very, very, VERy difficult !

I managed it last night or the night before that by only using one of them, I don't quite know how it is called in the translation …

I managed to defeat the demon, the Zant, with having only the seal of "force" ? applied. And thus the demon couldn't regenerate.

And then every party member got a bow or a crossbow with fire arrows etc. . And they all were placed far away from one another, and initially I even had a fire elemental summoned against it. In TDE, Elementals and Demons naturally "hate" one another …

And it worked ! However, I decided to keep all of the unused seals, since I didn't like this half-evil druid at all.

I got this tip with the fire arrows from a new player, either here or at the dtp forums.

And regarding the special recipe you get from Archon Megalon, the half-evil Druid, for giving him all seals : Don't worry, you can buy it later …

Since I think there won't be any boxed english version anywhere apart from Benelux, do you know a retailer site or something (like ebay or such) where I can buy this Benelux version? I have searched the internet but I couldn't find anything.

There have been posts somewhere in this forum, sorry, I don't seem to recall them anymore …

Does anyone know if the U.S. version of Drakensang: RoT will ever have a boxed version? Or is it a digital-only release?

Just get used to it, online versions are here to stay. Only the most AAA of titles will have boxed versions anymore, so they can look all shiny in their Best Buyses and their Walmartses, but for anything other than 'World of Warcraft', 'Call of Duties' and the like, no more boxes.

How do you put US style addresses in their form.

I get a screwy address format that with my luck will confuse our postal carriers.

I want

Name
Address number Address street
City, State
Postal code
Country

but it gives me

Name
Address street Address number
Postal code City
Country

I am waiting a bit longer to see if it gets a UK boxed release I can import much more easily. If it doesn't by the summer I will probably just get it on gamersgate.

I much prefer a box, but if the game is download only I usually give in.

How do you put US style addresses in their form.

They just don't have federal states there, hence this shortened address form.

Don't expect other countries to have a similar style of organization.

What's worse is that the address appears at the end of the street and the postal code before the city. That's bound to mess up the postal carriers here.

You should not assume that the form of all country addresses conform to that of your own country if you actually care about international business...

It's still not available here, even as a download; I checked Steam yesterday.

So now that the dust has settled: Is this game worth buying?

There are two reviews about it at the Codex Top 70, (Number 52 - I wrote the fanboyish one); I guess it depends if the atmosphere catches you; worked for me like a charm, probably because of the excellent german voice-overs. From what I have seen, the english voiceovers do their job but are not as great as the german ones. If you like generic fantasy settings, give it a go - if not give it a wide berth.

River of Time improves just about everything compared to the already pretty good first Drakensang. So yes, a clear thumbs up from me. You have to like this rather light-hearted atmosphere of the Drakensang games though. RoT is a bit darker, to mix things up, but not much.

The underlying RPG system is a subset of the The Dark Eye pen & paper ruleset. If you played one of the CRPGs (Drakensang, Blackguards, Realms of Arkania Trilogy) the learning curve should be relatively flat.

Alright, thanks for your input. Seems to be just right up my alley going by what you've said so I guess I'll buy it then. :thumbsup:

By the way... just for anyone interested... I did manage to eventually find a boxed copy of RoT. Haven't played it yet but I will. Does anyone know of a website that is a sort of 'For Dummies' for the rule sets being used? They are very foreign to me as I have never used the rule sets employed in either game before.

I have a boxed copy, but it's both games - Drakensang + Drakensang - River of Time + Phileasson's Secret DLC. Sadly, it doesn't include a manual for either game :(.

I don't know where you could learn the rules but a Google search should help you. The rulelset is definitely intimidating but oh-so-nerdy it appears, truly a D&D style thing with a lot of depth and complexity. Makes me want to play those games now .. :)

Back
Top Bottom