What games are you playing now?

Good luck Thrasher. Unlike JDR, I tried replaying SC a while ago and found it nigh unplayable. Awful unit pathfinding, suicidal AI w/ no behavior settings…

when I find myself questioning why I'm playing a game, it's time to quit.

I don't think Sammy and I played the same game. ;)

I'll tell you now.. if you don't like micromanagement then SC probably isn't for you. I guess you could say that about most games in the genre though.

I don't mind micromanagement without a realtime clock. Winning turns into being how adept you are with the million shortcuts keys and mouse clicking. This is why I hated WC3.

I prefer turn-based since it gives you time to develop strategies, rather than a focus on reacting with tactics…

EDIT;

The little I played of King Arthur, (which is also a RTS) seemed to have a LOT less micromanagement, but I could have been playing as a beginner. ;)

i started playing Mortal Kombat 9. Anyone wish to fight me and meet Charon himself, shall meet me in PS3. Simply put, add me and challenge me ... My gamertag there is Nihonjintomoko . :)

i started playing Mortal Kombat 9. Anyone wish to fight me and meet Charon himself, shall meet me in PS3. Simply put, add me and challenge me … My gamertag there is Nihonjintomoko . :)
Don't have that. But you're welcome to join my Prototype game that I just started ;)

Prototype is certainly different than Fallout: New Vegas :p

Last edited:
Good luck Thrasher. Unlike JDR, I tried replaying SC a while ago and found it nigh unplayable. Awful unit pathfinding, suicidal AI w/ no behavior settings…

when I find myself questioning why I'm playing a game, it's time to quit.

I thought SC was very optimized for a such old game. I finished it rather recently as well. I enjoyed the story quite a bit.

I think it's the Goliaths that started to push me over the edge. Just trying to get a pack of those retards from one side of the map to the other…. gah..

Dungeons of Dredmor. Got down to like level 5, bypassing a lot of stuff with like a level 5 character and was just seeing how long i could last. Using everything at my disposal I was doing fairly well, then I ate some bizarre mushroom and everything went south = \

Great game, but like most turn-based games it kinda starts putting me to sleep so I have to play it early in the evening. I wish TB games didnt do that to me. Maybe it's because i'm such a hardworkin man and tired in the evenings. ='.'=

Icewind Dale 2 and (trying to play) Enclave.

IWD2 is good except for the pathfinding which is exquisitely bad. Didn't anyone play test it? Why make all those doors so tiny if half the party ALWAYS can't fit through them? Ice Temple is so irritating. I love that my mage with 20 intelligence figures he can't fit through a door his friends are walking through, so he decides to walk all the way around the temple to find a different path.

It takes patience to play IWD2.

Enclave I got for super cheap on GOG, but I don't think I'll play much more of it. Difficulty ramps up hugely after the first couple areas, and Dying over and over isn't much fun to me. It was worth $2 and change though.

Icewind Dale 2 and (trying to play) Enclave.

IWD2 is good except for the pathfinding which is exquisitely bad. Didn't anyone play test it? Why make all those doors so tiny if half the party ALWAYS can't fit through them? Ice Temple is so irritating. I love that my mage with 20 intelligence figures he can't fit through a door his friends are walking through, so he decides to walk all the way around the temple to find a different path.

It takes patience to play IWD2.

Enclave I got for super cheap on GOG, but I don't think I'll play much more of it. Difficulty ramps up hugely after the first couple areas, and Dying over and over isn't much fun to me. It was worth $2 and change though.

2 great games. I completed Enclave some years ago. I liked this game so much. Now I want to find it cheap for PC.

Fortunately, I do have the Icewind Dale trilogy in one box. :D

Yeah, Ovenall. That totally drives me up the wall. I click inside the room, and turn away for a split second to look at the map or whatever and when I go back a party member is a quarter mile away the opposite direction. They ought to make the AI time out - if it cant get where it wants to go, it times out and just sits there instead of taking a trip to alaska

I finished the Starcraft Terran campaign over the weekend and got halfway through the Zerg campaign. The Terran music is really stuck in my head. It's actually good, even with it's late 80's cheesy synth horn stabs, and staccato riffs.

I am definitely liking SC a lot more than WC. Though Starcraft has no difficulty setting, it does have saves/reloads and, most importantly, a speed setting so I can manage large battles a lot easier. But Sammy is right, the pathfinding really sucks. Units wander off into unexplored territory and get hammered - I chastise my computer. Not pretty.

In general though, it's been fun and addictive. One major gripe is that some of the later missions seem impossible to win the first time, without prior knowledge of the map and enemy attack patterns/scripts.

So far, I like playing the Terrans more than the Zerg. Maybe I haven't mastered them yet, but Zerg invasion forces are very hard to manage compared to Terrans. Unit management in RTS's has always been a bit of clusterfuck that really annoys me…

Last edited:
Zerg was announces as being the hardest to play race for starcraft before the game was done, so don't feel bad about not being able to instantly master them, they are tricky.

It should by the way be pointed out that not only does the game force you to almost know beforehand whats going on, but the AI also cheats, quite a bit. It knows where you are, as if it does not have to deal with fog of war (this is more obvious on custom/skirmish maps, where you can see just how bad the AI cheats in this regard). Still beats WC2, where the AI had infinite resources...

Good point about the AI automatically knowing where you are. It almost guarantees that the first time player will get creamed on the harder missions if they play with no mission/map knowledge.

The Zerg are not the hardest race to play in SC. They might seem confusing at first to a new player, but they're a lot of fun to play once you get used to them.

The races in SC are extremely well balanced, but I personally found the Terrans to be the weakest by a small margin.

Fewer more powerful units are easier to control and win with for me, than tons of weaker units (like zerglings) that run off to get themselves killed.

I am playing Guild Wars for the first time in 3-4 years and having a blast doing it! Everything feels new and the game constantly astounds me with its shear scope and size.

Fewer more powerful units are easier to control and win with for me, than tons of weaker units (like zerglings) that run off to get themselves killed.

That's understandable. Like I said, newer players might take some time to get the hang of the Zerg. Also, the single-player campaign introduces the units slowly, so depending what mission you're on, it might be awhile before you're familiar with everything the Zerg can do.

Back
Top Bottom