Gearbox Lends Homeworld IP

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
If you were hoping for another Homeworld game then Polygon has good and bad news.

Link-http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/1/4684456/gearbox-homeworld-ip-hardware-shipbreakers

The Good News

Hardware: Shipbreakers, the spiritual successor to the Homeworld franchise being developed by founding members of Relic Entertainment, is now, thanks to Gearbox Software, officially a Homeworld game.

The game will now be titled Homeworld: Shipbreakers as part of a deal signed by Gearbox and developer Blackbird Interactive at PAX. What's more, Gearbox Software will help Blackbird complete the game with the help of financial and production resources, CEO Randy Pitchford told Polygon today.

"These guys have been funded by private equity, but it's clear it was going to take many millions of dollars more," Pitchford said. "We're giving them the brand and the resources to make this happen. Now, these guys are cooking and with the money they have now, they can grow the team."

The deal, Pitchford said, was signed last Wednesday during PAX Dev, a developer-only event that precedes PAX Prime.

The game formerly known as Hardware: Shipbreakers was announced earlier this year as a spiritual successor — structured as a prequel, however — to Relic's Homeworld franchise.

"Hardware and Homeworld inevitably share much of the same DNA, and that's a good thing," Blackbird CEO Rob Cunningham said at the time. "Homeworld was a fantastic game and we want to recapture that. But what we're offering with Hardware is really a different kind of RTS experience that isn't found in Homeworld or any other RTS."

The Bad News

Well let's just say it's being described as a social strategy game. So we can assume it may be F2P or require a subscription.
"The vision is Google Earth meets RTS," he says, where instead of just being about quick micromanagement the strategy was dictated by a long-term macro game over weeks and months, with players staking control of pieces of a much larger planet.
Here are some videos

Last edited:
They really really really really should've made an Star Wars game with the Homeworld engine. I never understoof why LucasArts didn't go this route. It was a natural to me. Maybe LucasArts was too much shooter-centric and too much money-oriented then already.

Take a look at the effort to build a storyline. Videos only aim at creating the background for a story.

Homeworld was a tale of exile and colonization. Hard to fit a SW narrative.

Oh. Thank you.

Last edited:
Woot, a new Homeworld! Wait, it doesn't take place in space? That's a bummer. I'd like a proper sequel to Homeworld, one which has ships fighting each other in space, not armed cars fighting each other on a planet. Oh well, will still keep an eye on this, but won't get too amped. At least it's not F2P shovelware.

Well it isn't really Homeworld game, as said in OP game was called Hardware: Shipbreakers, but now it has Homeworld name slapped for promotion sake.RiP Homeworld we will never see proper sequel.

Well it isn't really Homeworld game, as said in OP game was called Hardware: Shipbreakers, but now it has Homeworld name slapped for promotion sake.RiP Homeworld we will never see proper sequel.
From the looks of it will be a prologue based on the arid planet Kharak. Were they find the mother ship. Time will tell how it turns out, but yes it's going to be different.

You also have HD and regular versions being re-released by Gearbox.:) Look at at this way at least Homeworld is alive again as THQ just sat on it.

From the looks of it will be a prologue based on the arid planet Kharak. Were they find the mother ship. Time will tell how it turns out, but yes it's going to be different.

You also have HD and regular versions being re-released by Gearbox.:) Look at at this way at least Homeworld is alive again as THQ just sat on it.

I wish I shared your optimism but after failed revivals of many series games I tend to keep expectations as low as posible.If some other developer like Ironclad games(they where in play when licence was on sale) got it I would be more positive, but Gearbox that only made shooters and all of the except Borderlands where either mediocre or just bad.

Well it has been a while and the developer is looking for future beta testers.

Link - http://blackbirdinteractive.com/contact/beta/

Hello Prospector,

We may plan to host a closed beta test for our upcoming title, HOMEWORLD: Shipbreakers.

If you would be interested in participating in any beta tests of our title, please fill out the short application form below for a chance to participate. We will inform any accepted applicant of the beta test details before commencement.

Applying multiple times will not increase your chances of success. All of your information will remain confidential. Thank you for your interest!

I saw that on Steam yesterday and was wondering the same thing. It looks decent, but I was surprised to see that the combat is ground-based instead of in space.

Seems this was the original F2P game remade for single-player. Looks like another game is possibly in production based on the past links I posted above.

Last edited:
Y'know, it doesn't look bad. Hopefully this turns out like a decent RTS.

Though I don't understand why they simply don't send a few aircraft out to retrieve this anomaly, instead of a carrier on wheels.

Y'know, it doesn't look bad. Hopefully this turns out like a decent RTS.

Though I don't understand why they simply don't send a few aircraft out to retrieve this anomaly, instead of a carrier on wheels.
Probably because the whole world is at war at this point in the story, and the ships would be destroyed very easily. Plus the carrier is more like a research mission.

Think of it as a mobile base on wheels that houses everything an army needs. I'm guessing it's similar to how the mother-ship worked in the last games.

Also based on the trailer we might have space battles.

Back
Top Bottom