Another one may bit the dust. Or to buy or not to buy

DArtagnan said:
My wish is for people to be motivated only by the vision of the work itself. Not the desire to be popular or the desire to be recognised - or to be rich. I'm still not saying you can't make quality with those desires prevalent - I'm saying I'm not interested in such things.

And I've always read from personal growth/success blog writers that the way to success is doing something you're actually passionate about--not just making something everybody would love. So I'm not sure how possible it is to work for three years on a project you're not passionate about. I think the game industry have like the most passionate teams ever, compared to other lines of work (on average, exceptions possible, etc.).

Basically, if you want your game to be successful, you better get people to work on it that are really personally invested in it and love the game/vision/team, etc.

OK here it is: I bought a HTC Desire HD

It seemed like a nice phone to me. I was seriously considering it before I just went with iPhone 4, anyway, since I already had the 3G for the past two years. But the Desire HD looked very nice, indeed.

And I've always read from personal growth/success blog writers that the way to success is doing something you're actually passionate about—not just making something everybody would love. So I'm not sure how possible it is to work for three years on a project you're not passionate about. I think the game industry have like the most passionate teams ever, compared to other lines of work (on average, exceptions possible, etc.).

Basically, if you want your game to be successful, you better get people to work on it that are really personally invested in it and love the game/vision/team, etc.

I think it's becoming less and less passionate, but I'm sure there are still many passionate people working on the big titles.

What I'm worried about is how the future will be, and how the almighty dollar hunt will affect the industry and the people working there.

If you really think that people behind AAA games are all passionate and driven artists, then we just have to differ. But it's not something either of us can prove.

I'm certainly not going to base my opinion on the words of the mouthpieces. If you're a big corporation, you're not going to send out the disgruntled artist to speak for your game. No, you're going to send out people who can deliver the company line.

Just like when actors from Hollywood are interviewed and they're all saying the exact same thing, over and over. Everyone is so talented and amazing to work with, and they all gave it all and performed their own stunts and bla bla.

It's their livelihood - and for a high profile actor to stand up and be honest about what a Hollywood movie is REALLY like, it takes a very unique kind of individual.

Why do you think the best people often burn out completely? People like Brando and Rourke despised the business and they were open about it.

Look what happened to them. Rourke is back in, but he's certainly paid the price for not following suit.

You don't shit where you eat - and "loving" what you do and what you've been a part of making - is all part of the system.

This is what's happening to gaming as we speak.

LOL!!! to hear this from Nintendo? what have they been doing for the past 5 years?

Not really, as I think they're very "economically sustainable" if I understand the concept correctly.

That's actually the problem :)

Well, not on a per-game basis, presumably. The difference is the enormous user-base that is still growing. So pretty much economically sustainable on that basis. :) But we are seeing games on iPhone, etc. for a fraction of the cost that Nintendo asks for them on NDS. That's what they are afraid of, basically.

What they are saying is that because the games for smartphone are sold so cheap and getting really popular, that game developers will not be able to get the funding to develop big-budget, high-quality titles anymore, which means they will start to die out. That's basically what you were saying, right?

Being pretty successful actually…

I think they have been driving the trend towards lower quality, as for economically unsustainable? They probably means for themselves if every phone has a touch screen with gyro, it is not going to be something special if Nintendo has it. If every phone has a 3d projecter like the 3ds…. why would people get a hand held?

A legit worry for Nintendo of course.

But generally, I hear that there are many more high-quality, big-budget games for PSP/NDS than for smartphones... This is Nintendo playing into smartphone gamers' worry that there are no real games for their phone compared to the handheld gaming devices.

Well, not on a per-game basis, presumably. The difference is the enormous user-base that is still growing. So pretty much economically sustainable on that basis. :) But we are seeing games on iPhone, etc. for a fraction of the cost that Nintendo asks for them on NDS. That's what they are afraid of, basically.

What they are saying is that because the games for smartphone are sold so cheap and getting really popular, that game developers will not be able to get the funding to develop big-budget, high-quality titles anymore, which means they will start to die out. That's basically what you were saying, right?

I'm not really sure that's the interpretation I have of what he's saying - as the wording seems to suggest that it's the lower quality games that are not economically sustainable.

However, I see how it could mean something else.

Your interpretation is definitely along the lines of what I'm talking about.

But I wouldn't so much say that other games are unsustainable - but rather not quite as attractive in terms of effort versus financial reward.

From the point of view of big fat men with cigars, that could be called unsustainable, sure :)

But generally, I hear that there are many more high-quality, big-budget games for PSP/NDS than for smartphones… This is Nintendo playing into smartphone gamers' worry that there are no real games for their phone compared to the handheld gaming devices.

That's the case now that smartphones are new and fresh, but eventually people are going to expect more.

Either way the way the market works people will get what the majority want, that is what democracy is all about.

Now we could take a look at some communist games...... kill the corrupt politician was introduced by the chinsese government ( not a joke )... quite an interesting game to be sure.

I thought he was talking about a trend that is moving games to lower quality and unsustainability because of smartgame games being so popular and cheap. Cheap means lower budget, which means lower quality (where does the unsustainability come in?)

iPhone games perfectly sustainable with their in-app purchases and growing user-base. He's right on the lower quality games.

Back
Top Bottom