RPGWatch - Game of the Year 2013: Most Promising RPG in 2014

Nice list, fairly similar to what I wanted. Although, I would have placed Wasteland 2 in second place and TW3 in third.

Dark souls was a crappy port but can be fixed with about 5 mins of modding and is a fantastic game.

Dev's said DS2 will have a proper pc version. Hopefully that's true, so it's a very anticipated game for me.

I would exchange Wasteland 2 with the Witcher 3, but it's a good list.

For me I have a lot of hopes for Witcher 3. If they manage to combine the things I liked about Witcher 2 - a compelling complex story and significant choices meaning significant consequences for example - with a well implemented (more) open world it could be very good news. Don't get me wrong, I had some pretty significant misgivings about that game too. Still, Witcher 3 succeeding could be a very good thing. It wouldn't just mean a good game but a AAA quality rival in the open world space for Bethesda that can see similar commercial success.

It will mean that Bethesda will have real competition that can be directly compared in terms of breadth of content as well as other aspects. It will mean they'll have a challenger to the open-world RPG crown which they've held as much by default as merit for too long. It will mean they'll HAVE to get the QA process under control and step up their game to remain relevant let alone dominant. That more direct competition will be good for everyone, if they step up to the challenge it represents. And that will be true whether or not one is a fan of Bethesda's titles or not, because even if you hate their games for the ways in which they have been lacking they might actually fix some of those persistent quirks in upcoming titles if they respond to this competition in a positive manner.

But I guess that doesn't really address whether nor not one should be excited about what The Witcher 3 will be on its own. And yes I am excited to play it, but I have to admit that a large amount of my excitement is what it could mean for the market. That will be especially true if it is a massive commercial success - it will demonstrate that even after Skyrim there is room to make big expensive RPGs that make shit tons of money.

Dark souls was a crappy port but can be fixed with about 5 mins of modding and is a fantastic game.

Dev's said DS2 will have a proper pc version. Hopefully that's true, so it's a very anticipated game for me.

Yeah, Dark Souls' success on the PC despite the poor port I think helped demonstrate that the PC gaming market for RPGs has some untapped demand that deserves more attention. There have been some interesting statements from a couple publishers/developers where they seem to be realizing this. That has a lot to do with the transition period between consoles, but it also reflects a pragmatic look at the numbers of PC gaming sales in general.

Last edited:
What we've seen so far of DA: I looks good to be honest, so it might turn out very well. Time will tell tho, I won't get carried away just yet.

First, there was BG: EE in best 'new' RPG of 2013 list and now there's a BG rehash taking the #1 spot for 2014.

Nostalgia gets two votes.

ZzzzzZzzzzz

Yep and MM X and Blackguards are down, because they are not "promising" anymore, because most fans played them already.
I'm not so sure; although I loved the game post-launch (bugs and all), I was *not* excited for this title given the previews and the obvious shoestring budget. And I'd never heard of Blackguards (nor have I yet to play it, despite the glowing reviews!).

First, there was BG: EE in best 'new' RPG of 2013 list and now there's a BG rehash taking the #1 spot for 2014.

Nostalgia gets two votes.

ZzzzzZzzzzz

To be fair, it was with 20% of the vote. More than a few promising titles this year dividing the vote has something to do with it too.

Decent list although witched 3 wouldn't be in my list.

Question is will any of these kickstarter games get released in 2014? Seems all the kickstarter games are way behind schedule. Now I would prefer a finished game over a rushed game, but its interested how far behind most of them seem to be. I wonder if lack of publisher pushing them is causing dates to slip. I would still rather wait ants get a better game though but just curious.

Stretch goals cause delays. Just common sense.

I can see some of that, but if the company knows that stretch goals they want to offer when they come up with a date it could be planned for at least some. I think it has more to do with them wanting to promise an earlier date to get funding and underestimating how long making a game takes. For newer dev's that's less surprising but for long term guys like Fargo with Wasteland 2 its more suprising. Not that AAA published games don't have delay's though and I understand difficulties in programming a game but still....many are WAY past their due date.

I am still a kickstarter fan, I just hope all those I pledged get release sometime soon. You can bet whatever date listed for a kickstart game will add at least a year before its finished.

I'm surprised DA:I didn't get a higher percentage. I think a lot of people have a bad taste in their mouth from da2

I think the combination of the quality of the last few Bioware games combined with the departure of many of the developers and producers who brought Bioware its good reputation and success has made a lot of people uncertain about the quality of any future Bioware game.

Decent list although witched 3 wouldn't be in my list.

Question is will any of these kickstarter games get released in 2014? Seems all the kickstarter games are way behind schedule. Now I would prefer a finished game over a rushed game, but its interested how far behind most of them seem to be. I wonder if lack of publisher pushing them is causing dates to slip. I would still rather wait ants get a better game though but just curious.

Nah, virtually all games get "delayed", the only difference is that with traditionally funded / published games, the developer often doesn't announce a release date until they're pretty sure of when it will be finished (or the deadline is imposed on them by a publisher who has determined when the game must come out for maximum marketability). Kickstarter forces developers to give a roughly estimated release date (in many cases before production had even started). And it's really hard to predict how long it will take to build, polish, and bugfix a game, especially if you promise additional features or content due to stretch goals. In many cases developers had a much smaller scope in mind when they pitched a game, but many have clearly been overly optimistic, too.

I think the combination of the quality of the last few Bioware games combined with the departure of many of the developers and producers who brought Bioware its good reputation and success has made a lot of people uncertain about the quality of any future Bioware game.

Yeah that pretty much sums up my position exactly. I like what I'm hearing about it and I'll be delighted if it's as good as it sounds, but I've learned to take Bioware marketing with a pinch of salt. Fight like a Spartan think like a general etc.

The top 3 is pretty much what I had, except I had wasteland 2 instead of tw3.

Personally I put WL 2 ahead of OS, but that's me. The real question is, after the stinker that DA 2 was, how the heck did the next one make the list?? I'd have to be really desperate to give Bio another shot, tbh, based on that last dismal attempt at an rpg.

Wow… I don't find any of the other titles even close to The Witcher 3. For me, it's TW3 by a landslide with Wasteland 2 and PoE a distant 2nd and 3rd.

I'm still quite sure that TW3 won't get released in 2014 though.

As everyone was complaining about Uplay when talking about might & magic - don't forget that Dragon Age Inquisition will most probably be ORIGIN Exclusive as other recent EA titles :p

Back
Top Bottom