Issues with video drivers...

azraelck

Angel of Cookies!
I recently built a new System, sadly jumping back to Windows XP for the sole reason that I missed a number of games. Like Steel Panthers. I also bought Gothic 3, because I've heard good things about it, and wanted a new RPG to go with my new computer.

Cue in numerous problems. Aside from my old monitor croaking, making me buy a flat screen; I just managed to get sound working after buying a second card. The drivers would not install with the card I already had. I've had to reinstall XP several times. Tonight, after about 4 reboots and 5 different downloads, I got AVG working.

My current problem is the Video card drivers refuse to install. I have a Zogis nVidia 7300 GT 512mb card. It works fine, in fact on a prior install of XP it was installed and working properly (my sound wasn't). Now, it simply will not install. There are no error messages; it loads up the installer, hangs briefly about half-way, then 'finishes', with a note saying that the system wasn't modified, and to rerun the install later. I've been trying for about a week, and it still won't install.

It's done this on a downloaded driver that I d/led on this computer, one I downloaded on another computer and burned to CD, and the original CD that came with the card.

As a result, while I can play most 2D games, even small freeware games needing 3D capability won't run, much less Gothic 3, Wizardry 8, or something else like that. I have a reasonably fast computer which isn't even worth scrap.

I can reinstall Windows again; I've only put my bookmarks on this computer as well as some software which is easily recovered (it's all freeware stuff). Everything I have was backed up prior to this build, so if that's what it takes, that's what I'll do.

I haven't installed Ubuntu yet, since I've been too busy fighting with XP. I'd not be surprised if it works fine out of the box, like the last few computers I installed it on. I got spoiled by a working, stable operating system I suppose.

*edit*
Got the driver installed, rebooted, and I get a message that AVG is not running anymore. Why? Because it's Windows XP, and nothing works. I got windows firewall back to running, which I need a competent firewall but haven't gotten to it yet. It too shut down for no reason whatsoever. AVG control center won't load either. And I can't really find no real proof I have actually gotten the nVidia drivers loaded. Since the computer now runs slow, as only Windows can go (with 8 gigs of ram too boot!) I can't get even control panel to half work.

The funny thing is AVG is listed as running the the task manager. Yet it's not running. The nVidia desktop manager won't load, and currently the Creative volume control has vanished as well.

I am sick of windows already, and I haven't even gotten it working once since pissing away my money on it. I guess I'm in for another install.

Last edited:
It's hard to imaging why all the softwares you installed would acting weird all at once; maybe something more fundamental screwed up: like the motherboard, or memory... are you sure you didn't get any strange error like BSOD during Windows XP installation? slow-ness during boot up?

BTW could you list out the system hardwares?

Sometimes DirectX doesn't install correctly, and that can screw up your drivers. You can't uninstall DirectX, but you can reinstall it over and over. I'd try uninstalling your drivers, reinstalling DirectX, and reinstalling the drivers.

This has happened across two mother boards, several different sticks of ram, two video cards, two sound cards, and an unlicensed nuclear accelerator.

I finally got it working today. First, I beat the crap out of it. Then I reinstalled Windows. Rightfully frightened, it now works. Except I'm still getting random errors when installing from a CD/DVD; so everything has to be from download.

I tried to install Gothic 3 and Dungeon Lords from the RPG 2 pack set, and during install it gave me a cycle redundancy error, which I ignored. It didn't install, and it took a run of CHKDSK so I could delete the games and their files. It wasn't inserted into the registry at all, even though the installer acted like it finished properly.

I have installed a fair number of freeware software. All of it works fine. I even got my documents and bookmarks and such back. I haven't installed Winamp, but I also haven't bothered grabbing any of my music yet. So I'd have to find something to test it with.

I'm wondering if there isn't something wrong with my lightscribe drive? I'm going to dig out a parts computer and yank a DVD drive from it and try to reinstall DL/G3 from it instead. Currently, everything works now.

ACS nforce 6A M mother board
8gb OCZ DDR2 RAM (4x 2gb sticks, all tested on other computers)
Zogis nVidia 7300GT 512mb video card
AMD X64 2.2ghz Dual Core
Writemaster DVD/CD RW Lightscribe Drive
No-name Multicard reader.
Soundblaster Audigy SE sound card
Western Digital 250gb SATA HDD; partitoned into 200gb and 50gb partitions. The 50gb one is for Linux, when I get around to installing it.

I just reinstalled everything (again) so it should be straight. I'm on a second Sound Blaster card, which is working. I just got my bookmarks back a second ago.

I'm down to either a bad WinXP copy, or the Lightscribe drive isn't working right. Which would suck, since I've been chasing other things around and I'm past the point of return on either. Everything else is tested on other computers save the motherboard, which I replaced. I'll see once I find my old DVD Rom. It worked, thoguh I never used it much since I had a DVD -CDRW in every computer I had it in.

"cyclic redundancy check error" sound like a bad DVD drive, bad media, or poorly burnt disk, although could also be as simple as loose cables.

The graphic card driver installed yet? After that try couple 3d games for testing.

I got the driver installed, tested it with the Ghostbusters remake, as well as Highway Pursuit and Ultimate Stunt Driver. Works flawlessly, if a bit ridiculously fast in such low-spec games.

It may just be the DVD drive. I somehow doubt a brand new DVD from Ciruit City would be bad. The backup disc that my docs and bookmarks was on worked though, but it wasn't exactly a stressful install; just a simply copy a couple hundred megs of crap from the disc to My Documents.

Makes me wish one of the other computers could run either DL or Gothic 3. My brother has Vista, which barely runs itself. My parent's don't have a decent video card or sound card, though they have 2gb of Ram after I upgraded theirs. And my old comp is Linux-only. This is the only one with the ability to run a modern game.

So I gotta dig out another drive and check. I'm going to be mad if that was the problem the entire time.

I'm wondering if there isn't something wrong with my lightscribe drive?

I think I've read that certain copy protections can interfere with that,
but I can't judge whether it is just a rumor or real.

Yes, you can have a bad one out of the box. I had that happen on two rigs over the years. Best bet is take it back and let them test it at least or just give you a new one and go from there.

The problem is that I've waited too long to send it back. Oh well. I'll get it fixed eventually.

I'll probably hang it on a tree and use it for target practice. :p

At least that last install was it. Everything seems to be working fine. If I'd ever get around to installing anything, I'd have it made.

Well, it is my CD drive. I just got around to trying to install some games from CD.

HOMM I and II installed fine, but Medieval: Total War failed. Since it worked on two computers prior, I know the disc is fine. So my drive is acting up, probably just when it's warmed up after some use.

So I've got to buy a new CD/DVD RW Lightscribe Drive, and probably aught to pick up a second DVD drive for install/gaming purposes only.

Back
Top Bottom