Dragon Age - Sys Reqs

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Chris Priestly has posted the Dragon Age system requirements at the official forums. They're not unreasonable, although you'll need a bit of drive space:
Many of our fans have been asking if we can provide system specifications for the PC version of Dragon Age: Origins. The Dev team has now been able to lock down both the minimum and recommended system requirements.

Here are the minimum requirements for XP and Vista and the recommended system requirements.

Windows XP Minimum Specifications
CPU: Intel Core 2 (or equivalent) running at 1.4Ghz or greater
AMD X2 (or equivalent) running at 1.8Ghz or greater
RAM: 1GB or more
Video: ATI Radeon X850 128MB or greater
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT 128MB or greater
DVD ROM (Physical copy)
20 GB HD space

Windows Vista Minimum Specifications
CPU: Intel Core 2 (or equivalent) running at 1.6Ghz or greater
AMD X2 (or equivalent) running at 2.2GHZ or greater
RAM: 1.5 GB or more
Video: ATI Radeon X1550 256MB or greater
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB or greater
DVD ROM (Physical copy)
20 GB HD space

Recommended Specifications
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz Processor or equivalent
RAM: 4 GB (Vista) or 2 GB (XP)
Video: ATI 3850 512 MB or greater
NVIDIA 8800GTS 512 MB or greater
DVD ROM (Physical copy)
20 GB HD space
Thanks, Rizzla!
More information.

Very reasonable, actually.

Yep, reasonably reasonable.

My rig is clearly aging, though -- it's now just short of the recommended setup. But only just.

That 20GB means PC is probably going to get MUCH better textures over 7 GB xbox360 disk. This, or they are going to ship console version on several DVDs.

doesnt sound too reasonable, minimal as always means it can barely run on an ultrastable sys (which not all players have or even know what it means), and for hi resolution *plus* cool graphics the reqs will be *way* beyond the above, as with any other game. then in order to sell more they state what they state, but lets try to be realistic.
________
black Cams

Last edited:
doesnt sound too reasonable, minimal as always means it can barely run on an ultrastable sys (which not all players have or even know what it means), and for hi resolution *plus* cool graphics the reqs will be *way* beyond the above, as with any other game. then in order to sell more they state what they state, but lets try to be realistic.

On the other hand you can see what the game beholds and then know that the recommended specs will do good. The game just hasn't any cool graphics and from what I've seen in the 'fighting the dragon' video, it looks like it has a terrible gameplay too. Don't get me wrong, I would like to see this game as an epic RPG, but from what I've seen so far it just isn't.

Actually, in my experience that's no longer the case, especially on multiplatform games. Consoles are the baseline these days, and usually the minimum spec corresponds fairly well to a system that can run the game as well as the console. Recommended spec corresponds to something significantly above that level -- you get higher rez, 60+ fps, or better textures.

IOW, I'm not too concerned over how this game will run. I'm more concerned over how it'll play and how it's written and scripted.

20 GB install, that's amazing. I remember when games used to come on 1.4 MB floppy disks, and that wasn't that long ago. At least hard drives are cheap. I'm definitely looking forward to this title, I just hope it's not too 'consolized.'

That 20GB means PC is probably going to get MUCH better textures over 7 GB xbox360 disk. This, or they are going to ship console version on several DVDs.

While better textures on the PC is definitely one (very optimistic ;) ) possibility we should remember that usually whenever they give us the recommended HD space specs it's always the total maximum that is going to be required by the installer of the game during the setup process. That's when the most HD space is being required since the installer needs a lot of space for temporary data when unpacking huge archives. The actual install size of the game folder after the installation might very well end up in the ~7GB (or even less) range.

Otherwise these specs aren't much of a surprise. They are pretty much the average specs for any modern cross platform game.

I think they're referring to Vista x64, given that the 32-bit version can handle a maximum of 3GB.

The ability to make use of 4+ GB RAM is, IMO, the best reason to go with Vista. It does make a significant difference to the way your system runs, especially games that load a lot of stuff in memory.

I think they're referring to Vista x64, given that the 32-bit version can handle a maximum of 3GB.

The ability to make use of 4+ GB RAM is, IMO, the best reason to go with Vista. It does make a significant difference to the way your system runs, especially games that load a lot of stuff in memory.
Sure it is good to be *able* to use more memory - but what stroke me here was the fact that you seem to *need* more memory depending on the OS.

I'm going 4+ gigs with WinXp X64 and have no problems. :)

That 20GB means PC is probably going to get MUCH better textures over 7 GB xbox360 disk.

That doesn't fit with the graphics card requirements being so low - this is practically less than NWN2 remember.

What it says to me is that area data, music etc. is not as compressed on the PC version, leading to quicker load times (possibly relates to the fact it can seem to take advantage of large amounts of RAM as well, possible caching). The console versions are going to have to load either more frequently or stream or uncompress on the fly etc.

20 GB install, that's amazing. I remember when games used to come on 1.4 MB floppy disks, and that wasn't that long ago. At least hard drives are cheap. I'm definitely looking forward to this title, I just hope it's not too 'consolized.'

Try 360KB discs :)

Sure it is good to be *able* to use more memory - but what stroke me here was the fact that you seem to *need* more memory depending on the OS.

That's the downside with 64-bit addressing -- the blocks are bigger, so stuff eats up more memory too. If you have less than 4 GB RAM, a 32-bit system will usually run better. OTOH a 4 GB 64-bit system will run better than a 3 GB 32-bit one.

That doesn't fit with the graphics card requirements being so low - this is practically less than NWN2 remember.

The recommended GPU spec is 512 MB RAM. That tells me that they *do* have lots of high-rez textures, since that's what eats it up. (They'd be silly not to have low-rez ones as well, to make it run on smaller video memory.)

The recommended GPU spec is 512 MB RAM. That tells me that they *do* have lots of high-rez textures, since that's what eats it up. (They'd be silly not to have low-rez ones as well, to make it run on smaller video memory.)

True, good point, but I think they'd be silly to make you install high res textures if you weren't going to use them :p

I'm now thinking lots of pre-rendered stuff.

Back
Top Bottom