Skyrim - Review Roundup # 3

aries100

SasqWatch
More reviews for this game has been written, making this round three. I'll quote from two of them and list the others.

Extreme Gamer - 9.6/10
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a role-playing fans paradise. Filled with discovery, wonder and mystery you will travel through the rocky landscapes of Skyrim uncovering a Dragon sized plot. Powered by the 'Creation Engine' things look and run even better under the new software. The size and scope of Skyrim is unparalleled making it one of the most expansive worlds we have ever visited. Falling in line with our expectations, Skyrim delivers, but doesn't surpass.
BigPond GameArena - 10/10

This is the most expansive, intuitive and living game world I’ve ever had the pleasure to play. Sure it may have sporadic bug or two with the random pop in here or an audio glitch there, but none of this shatters the illusion of immersion for more than a millisecond before you’re off and running at something shiny glinting off up in the distance. Skyrim is completely and utterly addictive in every aspect and quite possibly, I’ll say it, the greatest RPG of all time.

Bit-Tech - 95%

USA Today - 4/4

The A.V. Club - A

Now Gamer - 9.4/10

G4 - 5/5

PSX Extreme - 9.7/10

The Sixth Axis - 9/10

Gaming Union 9.4/10

Game Revolution - A

Impulse Gamer - 9.9/10

More information.

Last edited:
They're only numbers, but I think Bethesda actually did it right this time around and they deserve the praise they're getting. Even the bloated numbers that the reviewers would pump out no matter what Skyrim was actually like.

I'm having a blast playing a magic user ;) Sure, I got a few bugs, a crash here or there and some odd behavior, but I could care less. I played all weekend long and have barely scratched the surface of this game. Funny thing is, I'm not bored. I played the same amount of time in Oblivion and was starting to get bored. I think I played for another day and then quit. Tried it again with mods and still didn't last long. Tried Nehrim and lasted a good three or four days before the combat bored me silly again.

I can't believe Beth is now one of my favorite RPGs devs. How in the world did that happen?

I am thinking this is my RPG of the year, it is better then what I even thought it would be. I'm 20 + hours in and barely touched the main story and explored a small part of the map...

I don't think I can think of any game that has done snow as well?

I don't think I can think of any game that has done snow as well?

The falling snow is really nice, and the winds. Phenomenal. The actual snow and ice textures though, wow, those looks like 128x128 textures or something, really awful.

Has anyone seen that procedural / dynamic snow they were talking about, which was supposed to melt and actually attach to the surroundings?

I always thought it sounded exaggerated when they bragged about that feature + the fact they never showed it. Havent really been in the snowy areas much yet and when i've been in those areas i havent seen it.

As far as I am concerned, those review scores are deserved. What saddens me though is that Witcher did not get these scores, since even after Skyrim it is still my GOTY. Oh well, maybe xbox version will :).

They're only numbers, but I think Bethesda actually did it right this time around and they deserve the praise they're getting. Even the bloated numbers that the reviewers would pump out no matter what Skyrim was actually like.

I'm having a blast playing a magic user ;) Sure, I got a few bugs, a crash here or there and some odd behavior, but I could care less. I played all weekend long and have barely scratched the surface of this game. Funny thing is, I'm not bored. I played the same amount of time in Oblivion and was starting to get bored. I think I played for another day and then quit. Tried it again with mods and still didn't last long. Tried Nehrim and lasted a good three or four days before the combat bored me silly again.

I can't believe Beth is now one of my favorite RPGs devs. How in the world did that happen?

ok rat, thanks to you and this quote, for the first time I am actually interested in this game.

with Morrowind and Oblivion they forgot to make an interesting game. If we have something here that's actually enjoyable while you play it then it might be worth taking a look at.

Re-link the last article set. They are all currently going to impulse gamer.

What saddens me though is that Witcher did not get these scores, since even after Skyrim it is still my GOTY.

Witcher 2 I assume? With the Witcher I felt the story was being rammed down my throat, but Skyrim lets you create your own story which I much prefer. And the Witcher is a nasty world, where Skyrim feels to me like a high fantasy LOTR type setting.

All personal preference of course but I just can't get enough of Skyrim so far, that dread of dungeons I got playing Oblivion is gone and I've had some really fun encounters - scripted, radiant I don't know, and don't care!

Yeah I meant Witcher 2. It is much more story/dialogue/character driven than Skyrim, different kind of RPG..I love both, but Witcher 2 had such perfect characters and story + branching that I found it even more enjoyable. But Skyrim is great game too, best by Bethesda by far.

How in the world did that happen?
An old methodology know as "If at first you don't succeed, try try again." It did take them quite a bit of trying, though. (Warning, link not safe for work!)

…those looks like 128x128 textures or something…
Errr Vurt, wouldn't a 4x4 texture be enough for snow? It's not exactly detailed stuff.

Was there every another more obvious shoe-in for GOTY?

Yeah, figured i install it just to see how it ran on my PC ,thinking i will play it when they are done releasing all the mini expantions. Havent been able to put it down yet . Great game ! Cant help thinking about what SureAI will do to this game . Good time for gaming right now people.

100% agree. I was hoping Skyrim veered back toward Morrowind and beefed up some of its RPG aspects, but I NEVER expected this. Morrowind will always be my favorite for nostalgia reasons probably, but Skyrim is an amazing RPG and Bethesda's best work. I don't know if they hired new writers and designers or what, but the difference between this and Oblivion is freaking mind-boggling.

Was there every another more obvious shoe-in for GOTY?

It's a shame too, because Deus Ex: Human Revolution and The Witcher 2 are both amazing games, as is next week's Batman: Arkham City I am sure. They came out the wrong year though, because Skyrim can't be touched.

100% agree. I was hoping Skyrim veered back toward Morrowind and beefed up some of its RPG aspects, but I NEVER expected this. Morrowind will always be my favorite for nostalgia reasons probably, but Skyrim is an amazing RPG and Bethesda's best work. I don't know if they hired new writers and designers or what, but the difference between this and Oblivion is freaking mind-boggling.
I think they've learned the lesson - first by pushing to Oblivion with lasers, then outsourcing New Vegas, and so now we got New Vegas without lasers. ;)
We got a great game. It's what Oblivion could have been. Should have been.

And I don't agree that TW2 and DX:HR stand no chance vs Skyrim. Each ot them is great in a different way. If any of these three RPGs makes GOTY it will be well deserved. And I bet noone will object. Except some trolls bored with the life itself. ;)

Back
Top Bottom