The Witcher - Meet Geralt @ Twenty Sided

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Shamus Young has a piece on The Witcher titled Meet Geralt, in which he discusses the preset character, amnesia and sex cards. Shamus intensely dislikes all of these elements as you can see from this sample:
Does Geralt sound like someone you want to play? A lot of your enjoyment of the game hinges on your answer to this question. Some might like it, in a “playing-the-flawed-good-guy” sort of way. Heroes with faults are usually more interesting than their more idealized counterparts. Maybe his ugliness or awfulness will give the game a certain novelty for you. There are lots of tabletop gamers who play the horribly scarred, brooding, but inexplicably promiscuous adventurer who collects sexual conquests the way other players collect notoriety or magic items. He’s certainly a break from the square jaw goody-goody medieval superman knockoffs that have been foisted on us over the years. I would give the game full points for allowing you to inhabit this archetype, if not for the fact that this is the only character you can play.
For me, inhabiting the role of Geralt was about as much fun as shuffling around the house in Hugh Heffner’s nasty old bathrobe, which forever stinks of booze, smoke, Ben Gay, and Old Spice. As Geralt I was more interested in finding someplace to take a bath and get a haircut than I was at bedding all the dirty peasant women I met.
It's important to note Shamus is clear this shouldn't be seen as a traditional review. Based on the comments section, further articles will be forthcoming with a similarly negative point of view.
More information.

You know, I just never thought of Geralt as being ugly... I mean, the scars are bad for sure, but for his day and age... I dunno?

There is one thing I do agree with him on:

"...and the whole sex-card business is hopelessly juvenile within the context of this otherwise gritty world."

This is true. It really is juvenile, and doesn't really fit the context of the world, or the character for that matter. In short, it is tasteless.

Very weird. I am usually not a fan of preset characters myself, but Geralt was the first truly memorable character I have played in quite a while. Plus the game offers more choices and consequences than most. Although I am ready to admit that I didn't think the character development that great - whatever you do, you play a swordsman with some magic tricks - which of course is what being a witcher is all about...

doesn't really fit the context of the world, or the character for that matter.
Specifically the cards, or the acts themselves? I didn't think the cards made much sense, but as for Geralt haveing sex, I think it actuall does make sense. It may be juvenile or tasteless according to your taste, but it certainly makes sense in context of the game.

Specifically the cards, or the acts themselves? I didn't think the cards made much sense, but as for Geralt haveing sex, I think it actuall does make sense. It may be juvenile or tasteless according to your taste, but it certainly makes sense in context of the game.

The cards and the collecting of the cards were tasteless and juvenile. They should have kept everything as it is now, but take the cards out.

A trading card game ? ;)

Geralt is one of the best preset characters i've seen. Lots of depth and personality. the most weird to claim that he is ugly. The man has seen the world and he ain't a young whippersnapper. Scars are a proof of lived life. Besides his work is dangerous business.

What comes to sex, well isn't it a natural thing in our lives? so why not for a travelling warrior? heh..not too much pleasure or comfort in his harsh life..so he gets it we he can. Besides it is everytime player's choise.

The cards were pretty stylish and sometimes even beautifull art. For me they were like memories in geralt's head. Something for him to remember from good momements...

I don't mind the sex part and although in the game he could sleep with different types of women, Geralt doesn't seem like a guy that addicted to sex. I would rather have him as a man with sexual disability due Witcher mutation (he is sterile anyway).

You know, I just never thought of Geralt as being ugly... I mean, the scars are bad for sure, but for his day and age... I dunno?
I agree - even I found him somewhat attractive :O

I played the first act and I never laughed so hard before. Really, the sex isn't the problem, but the way it is presented in the game and in the story.

His character in the books was quite a skirt chaser as well. All in all his character was portrayed very much like he was in the books. So like it or not, this is the way Gerald is. Except maybe for the possibilities of him getting married and willingness to stop being neutral once the price was raised. Both of those never even came close to happening in the books.

Playing this game is very much like reading a book, if you don't like the protagonist you're not going to get another one. So you might as well go and pick up another book. To me, that doesn't seem like something one should be complaining about.

There is one thing I do agree with him on:

"...and the whole sex-card business is hopelessly juvenile within the context of this otherwise gritty world."

This is true. It really is juvenile, and doesn't really fit the context of the world, or the character for that matter. In short, it is tasteless.

Absolutely disagree.

His character in the books was quite a skirt chaser as well. All in all his character was portrayed very much like he was in the books. So like it or not, this is the way Gerald is. Except maybe for the possibilities of him getting married and willingness to stop being neutral once the price was raised. Both of those never even came close to happening in the books.

Playing this game is very much like reading a book, if you don't like the protagonist you're not going to get another one. So you might as well go and pick up another book. To me, that doesn't seem like something one should be complaining about.

I agree 100%, but the cards and the card collecting diminishes his whole character to be juvenile. That cards just don't fit in game. Instead of the sex being on the more mature side, it is being portrayed in a very juvenile manner just because of the cards and the collecting of the cards.

That is my only complaint about the game. I feel like I have to limit his character so I don't have to partake in such a juvenile mini game. I really wish they made an option to turn the cards off, and the collecting of them.

So you're saying this is interactive fiction and not an RPG?

I agree 100%, but the cards and the card collecting diminishes his whole character to be juvenile. That cards just don't fit in game. Instead of the sex being on the more mature side, it is being portrayed in a very juvenile manner just because of the cards and the collecting of the cards.

That is my only complaint about the game. I feel like I have to limit his character so I don't have to partake in such a juvenile mini game. I really wish they made an option to turn the cards off, and the collecting of them.

This annoys me in the same way that putting chainmail clad babes on the covers of RPG books and games annoys me. The only purpose is to titillate young teens (or older ones who never grew up) who the publishers apparently think are the target market but actual market research shows are not.

I agree 100%, but the cards and the card collecting diminishes his whole character to be juvenile.

So everybody says that trading card games are "juvenile" and "childish".

Implicitely, but it boils down to that.

This just adds to the cliché that RPGs should be "dark and adult". No light-hearted themes, colours, and especially no childish content, please !

Back
Top Bottom