Europa universalis IV annunced

It was announced yesterday and yes it looks good. Between this and Napoleon 2 coming out all I can ask for is Rome 2 next.

I'll surely get it eventually. Unfortunately I have a Paradox backlog (havent gotten going with Victoria 2 and havent even bought Crusader Kings 2 yet) so I might as well wait for an expansion or two.

I think EU3 was only the best game ever made ever ever ever, so hopefully they won't screw things in the new version. The good thing about Paradox strategy is that they know who their customers are, so they don't "dumb things down" to appeal to the masses (like Civilization did). These games are extremely rewarding and fun, but they do have a learning curve.

They'll probably make Rome 2 after EU4, repeating what they did before, EU3 introduced their new engine, and Rome was their first game using the same engine.

They'll probably make Rome 2 after EU4, repeating what they did before, EU3 introduced their new engine, and Rome was their first game using the same engine.

I hope so I loved EU:Rome but I think it's bit underrated game and unlike most I liked it more than sengoku or victoria 2(my top EU games are EU3,HoI 3 and CK2 in that order).Anyway EU3 was big milestone and on which core mechanic many more good strategies where born and I am hoping EU 4 will do same.

I hope so I loved EU:Rome but I think it's bit underrated game and unlike most I liked it more than sengoku or victoria 2(my top EU games are EU3,HoI 3 and CK2 in that order).Anyway EU3 was big milestone and on which core mechanic many more good strategies where born and I am hoping EU 4 will do same.

EU:Rome was my gateway drug to Paradox strategy games. Before it I had tried Crusader Kings (1) and EU3 and thought they were too complicated for me. Rome was simpler and was how I finally 'got it'. After playing Rome for a full campaign tried EU3 again with my newfound knowledge, and boy was I glad I did.

But in retrospective, I don't think I would like Rome anymore for two reasons. One, the map was very small (not the size, but the 'known world' for obvious reasons) and one of the things I like is trying different countries to play. And two, unless they make it so the game doesn't always end in 2-3 huge blobs, replayability is not that great (feels to me that almost all Rome games end up in Rome vs. Persia vs. Egypt vs. your empire unless you're playing Rome, Persia or Egypt)

I very much agree, that game lacked replayability

OTOH Rome was one of their best efforts in terms of polish on release:)

I very much agree, that game lacked replayability

OTOH Rome was one of their best efforts in terms of polish on release:)

"Lite" version of EU from time to time isn't such bad thing.Rome was easer to get into and doesn't require too much remembering perfect game for playing at work;) .

I am interested in this due to how great CK2 was.

Paradox are apparently fantastic. I read that big article on Destructoid yesterday and I'd be so down with them doing a grand strategy game in a fantasy setting even though they aren't looking at the idea. They'd need a bigger team than they usually use to create the setting and lore, but it'd be awesome.

I am interested in this due to how great CK2 was.

Paradox are apparently fantastic. I read that big article on Destructoid yesterday and I'd be so down with them doing a grand strategy game in a fantasy setting even though they aren't looking at the idea. They'd need a bigger team than they usually use to create the setting and lore, but it'd be awesome.

Paradox made fantasy game is highly unlikely but check Game of thrones mod for CK 2.

Paradox made fantasy game is highly unlikely but check Game of thrones mod for CK 2.

Yes to my sadness but it could always happen. A team of good modders can always get hired to make it. A game like Dominions 1-3 from paradox now that is a dream come true.

Yes to my sadness but it could always happen. A team of good modders can always get hired to make it. A game like Dominions 1-3 from paradox now that is a dream come true.

That's not to say that they won't third-party that game using their engine. The company that was making Magna Mundi for them (which eventually collapsed) their next project was a fantasy strategy game. Now that is off but it means it could theoretically happen.

Did you play it with or without its expansion? I first tried to play it without, and quickly grew bored with it, but once the expansion was released, I loved the game. Still not Paradox's best title, but absolutely a good game.

I like the concept of these games, but I find the rate of new releases combined with the launch states and size of the team can mean only one thing:

Milking a tired cow.

I have no idea why even the fans keep supporting these titles. I mean, I bought EU1+2 and all the Hearts of Iron games. They've all been pretty much unplayable at launch - and it takes at least 6 months to get them to a playable state. Even then, the engine (even the upgraded one) is exactly the same at the core - and the UI is still a mess.

Beyond that, I feel they REALLY need to upgrade the design from the intangible "slider game" to a much more tangible and rewarding design. Especially the combat system could use a major overhaul to draw people into the battles.

Maybe that's just me?

I like the concept of these games, but I find the rate of new releases combined with the launch states and size of the team can mean only one thing:
In regards to the launch state: Hence why you don't buy paradox titles on release. Crusader Kings 2 being the exception here, it was in a good state on launch.

And I think Paradox changes enough with each new game to make it a worthwhile purchase.

Milking a tired cow.

I have no idea why even the fans keep supporting these titles. I mean, I bought EU1+2 and all the Hearts of Iron games. They've all been pretty much unplayable at launch - and it takes at least 6 months to get them to a playable state. Even then, the engine (even the upgraded one) is exactly the same at the core - and the UI is still a mess.

Beyond that, I feel they REALLY need to upgrade the design from the intangible "slider game" to a much more tangible and rewarding design. Especially the combat system could use a major overhaul to draw people into the battles.

Maybe that's just me?
I think that's just you. Paradox strategy games are not for everyone, they know their audience. I love EU3 and Crusader Kings 2, I wouldn't want them to mess too much with that formula (specially I don't want more 'involved' combat, it's all about grand strategy). A better UI I'm ok with, but the underlying game engine is just fine. Make it faster, more decision types, multi-threaded, smarter, etc. that's ok, but don't change the core concept.

Well, to each his own. I actually think the games could easily be for me - but if the majority of the fans prefer the slider approach over the tangible - then they obviously shouldn't mess with that.

There's a shortage of quality grand strategy games, but I'll probably survive without them :)

Well, to each his own. I actually think the games could easily be for me - but if the majority of the fans prefer the slider approach over the tangible - then they obviously shouldn't mess with that.

There's a shortage of quality grand strategy games, but I'll probably survive without them :)

not sure what you mean by slider approach over tangible though. Like I said, they can change the UI as long as the underlying concept remains. That is, I don't want them to turn it into Total War or Heroes of Might & Magic where you actually fight the battles. Your job must be to administer your kingdom so that you can muster armies that win over other armies, but once the armies meet, your involvement ends (except for deciding to retreat basically).

not sure what you mean by slider approach over tangible though. Like I said, they can change the UI as long as the underlying concept remains. That is, I don't want them to turn it into Total War or Heroes of Might & Magic where you actually fight the battles. Your job must be to administer your kingdom so that you can muster armies that win over other armies, but once the armies meet, your involvement ends (except for deciding to retreat basically).

I'm not asking to fight the battles, as such - though I think it would be appropriate in some of their games - like Hearts of Iron, but it shouldn't be bogged down in a time-consuming process. But I would like a more hands-on approach to be an option.

About the "slider approach" - it's just that I feel most of what you actually DO in the game is to adjust sliders, but it's an exaggeration to ge the point across. When you move units - you basically point to an area - and you watch arrows instead of units for movement. You never "grab" anything and manipulate it. It feels like you're an accountant - not a great leader actually doing things. You don't actually get to see much of what you buy or upgrade for the infrastructure - so it's almost all about your imagination.

I just personally prefer a more tactile feel to it, and I like to see and manipulate things in my strategy games, because it makes them seem more real and adds a lot to the immersion factor.

Back
Top Bottom