Forgotten Games

Speaking of Magic Candle-

Did anyone here ever play
http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=134

Info:

"# A prequel to MC1 using the MC3 engine
# Published in 1993"

"Based on the same engine as Magic Candle 3, Bloodstone is IMHO a much better game than its better-known cousin (Magic Candle 1 is a true classic but the sequels were disappointing). Magic Candle fans will feel right at home with the ability to control your party members separately, a good turn-based combat system, lots of spells, and the epic scope. Despite cliche "kill the big woozle" plot, the game has many interesting side-quests and treasures to find. Highly recommended, but be prepared for an epic game that will take you dozens of hours to complete."

Shots:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/bloodstone-an-epic-dwarven-tale/screenshots

That looks/sounds so promising. I might have to actually fire that up sometime soon.

I'll add Dungeon Hack. It was a simple, first person hack-n-slash using AD&D 2ed rules. It also featured fully random dungeons with variable difficulty; you could have as hard or easy a game as you liked. Not a deep or engaging game, but a fun one.

Dragon Wars was the spiritual sequel to the old Bard's Tale games. It used a skill based system rather than a class-based one, and it was very short, but still fun. I remember beating it in a single night, during a period where I stayed up nearly three days straight.

The Summoning is another ignored old game, made by SSI (who also made the classic Gold Box AD&D games). It used an isometric viewpoint and real time combat; with a lot of puzzle solving given emphasis over the combat. I never could make it past the Teleport Maze.

Veil of Darkness used the Summoning engine, and was even less combat-heavy than The Summoning. Sort of a quasi Horror-RPG. Very good game as well, though somewhat difficult.

Forgotten great CRPG/CRPG-lites:

Black Crypt
Captive
Xenomorph
Lords of Chaos
MechForce
Realms of the Haunting
Buck Rogers
Black Crypt and Buck Rogers were great, and RotH will never be forgotten (at least not by me), though I'd tagged it as an adventure.

Black Crypt and Buck Rogers were great, and RotH will never be forgotten (at least not by me), though I'd tagged it as an adventure.

True enough, it was definitely mostly an adventure. It's been so long since I last played it, but I seem to recall certain light RPG elements like how inventory was handled and there was an emphasis on combat that's not typical of the adventure genre. The reason it reminded me of an RPG, was possibly that it was designed by Tony Crowther of Captive fame, and Captive was similarly focused on combat with a dose of RPG elements.

Truthfully, it was closer to a first person shooter than an RPG, but still :)

Wow there are some classic memories flooding back now. I remember playing Megatraveller 1 (on the Amiga 500 upgraded to a massive 1MB Ram!). I spent hours just generating characters trying to eeek out those littel extra bonuses. I think it's the only game I have ever played where you character could die during character generation. God I miss the old days.

Anyone remember Shadow Sorcerer? I was too inexperienced with RPGs to get into it at the time, but the concept was interesting and I'd love to see an updated version.

Times of Lore!

Anyone remember Shadow Sorcerer? I was too inexperienced with RPGs to get into it at the time, but the concept was interesting and I'd love to see an updated version.

As I recall, it was an action RPG by SSI, set in the Dragonlance universe.

I personally felt it was a huge disappointment, because it was very different from Heroes of the Lance (a prequel) that I was fond of. That said, I was very young at the time, and maybe my tastes were even more questionable then than they are now :)

Shadow Sorcerer on wikipedia

Shadow Sorcerer is a video game released in 1991 for various home computer systems and consoles. The game the sequel to Heroes of the Lance and Dragons of Flame. It is based on the third and fourth Dragonlance campaign modules, Dragons of Hope and Dragons of Desolation.

The style of the game is very different from its predecessors in style of gameplay. The plot is a faithful representation of the books it is based on.

The game is generally regarded as much superior to any early D&D action games,[1] and is considered a big step forward D&D action games.[2]

True enough, it was definitely mostly an adventure. It's been so long since I last played it, but I seem to recall certain light RPG elements like how inventory was handled and there was an emphasis on combat that's not typical of the adventure genre. The reason it reminded me of an RPG, was possibly that it was designed by Tony Crowther of Captive fame, and Captive was similarly focused on combat with a dose of RPG elements.

Truthfully, it was closer to a first person shooter than an RPG, but still :)
Who cares about labels? ;) Most of the time it's my favorite game of all times, regardless of genre...

Yeah, around here there are enough fogeys that played those games that we've managed to fill the youngsters in on "the good old days".

Now, if you were aiming this topic at games that should have gotten a modern sequel or should have been remade by now (which was what your title had me expecting), I'd start with Master of Magic.

Definately. Even though MoM is not really an RPG, it is still the game I compare every game against...

With the release of Elemental, I am part of a group remaking MoM... I hope we can bring it back since no one else will.

The Summoning is another ignored old game, made by SSI (who also made the classic Gold Box AD&D games). It used an isometric viewpoint and real time combat; with a lot of puzzle solving given emphasis over the combat. I never could make it past the Teleport Maze.

I loved this game, despite never finishing it. I even have the hint book for it. I wonder if I could get it up and running in dosbox (I hope it was on cd, otherwise it is gone!).

Ravenloft: Stone Prophet was another big one for me. It did a wonderful job in its time period to capture the immersion of the setting.

EDIT: Oops, didn't realise this was a 2 year bumped thread.

No kidding … are the rest of the group Trolls, or just you?

What is the point of this post? any specific reason to suspect they'd be trolls? sounds kind of insulting to me, especially with such a good cause?

Perhaps because of the post frequency ?

What is the point of this post? any specific reason to suspect they'd be trolls? sounds kind of insulting to me, especially with such a good cause?

It was insulting - he posted the same stuff to 4 threads ... all of which were >1 year since last post.

Thread resurrection for self-promotion? I know it isn't WoW-gold, but it is still being a spammer, good cause or not.

The *right* thing would have been to get a newspost done on it. Heck, I would have cross-posted to GearDiary about it because it IS a good cause. But by showing a basic inability to operate on a web forum, my confidence is gone in the project as a whole.

I really liked both the Traveller game (first one) and the Birthright game.

I don't remember any graphics "datedness" for the Traveller game.

The Birthright game came out too late to catch the wave of interest in the setting before TSR had given up on it. It actually did look dated by the standards of the time but it was a lot of fun if you enjoyed RPG/strategy mixed games.

Back
Top Bottom