The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

I recently discovered this great electronic music project called Redshift. Extended cosmic synth explorations following in the tradition of Tangerine Dream's 70's work (but going their own places). They have the expected analog synths going but also throw in a nice fender Rhodes at times, as well as guitar.

Redshift - Nails

Anyone else into stuff like this?

Enjoyed this one a good bit today. Was surprised to find that somebody added it since I last searched. Best tune on the cd, me thinks.

"Trip Seat" by Thee Heavenly Music Association

My new boss introduced me to this today. He thought I might like it, and, well, you know - he's right. It's a traditional, and there are many, many versions of it, but I really like this one: Kaperfahrt.

@JonNik: Ahahaha, they fit the one I just posted, somehow :). Besides, I got tons of Corvus Corax and InEx music. Seen both, like both, but I rather prefer former Corvus Corax side project Tanzwut.

I think that one or two members of Tanzwut actually did a tiny bit of voice-acting in Drakensang 1.

If I remember correctly, there was this thief in Avestrue … Not Dranor, the other one …

And in Drakensang 2 there were these two smugglers in the tavern of that snowy town ...

My new boss introduced me to this today. He thought I might like it, and, well, you know - he's right. It's a traditional, and there are many, many versions of it, but I really like this one: Kaperfahrt.

@JonNik: Ahahaha, they fit the one I just posted, somehow :).

Well there is a connection to my mind at least, Herr Mannelig = G1 Kaperfahrt = Risen 2 (*)perhaps they could arrange for it to be sang in some port tavern in the game ;)

And on a somewhat similar vein:
Faun - Troum unde Spiegelglas , Egil Saga(live)

(*Offtopic: Damn I am gonna miss Kairo in R2 :-/)

Last edited:
Oh yes, JonNik, hearing this one in a tavern in R2 would be fun :).

I'm not exactly a fan of Faun, though most of my female friends have the hots for Oliver ^^. Hubby likes them, though.

How about the best track evah from Ryan and Suzanne? I don't think the poster realizes that he's putting up the remastered version, but that's OK--there's not that must difference.

"Stir About the Stars" by Love Spirals Downwards

I finally got this and listened to it. On the first playthrough it was very mesmerizing and engaging, even though as Alrik said a lot of it is just piano, voice, AND very quiet ambient background sounds. The piano is flawless at times (as her voice). Definitely a winner. You know it's good when you pullup into the driveway without remembering the drive home except for the music. :)

Got this over x-mas and only just started listening to it. I love it, and I love the new direction she's going in - this reminds me a lot of some of the better tracks on her previous album. She's mellowed out a bit but the music's all the more better for it. Hounds Of Love will always remain my favorite album of hers (and possibly my favorite album of all time), but these last two albums have been astoundingly good - especially after what I thought was a very mixed album (The Red Shoes).

Also listening to: I've always been a fan of the Australian band The Church. Even though here in the states they've always been just another 80s one-hit-wonder band, I've followed them over the years. They're one of the few bands who have been together around three decades and continue to get better (though for a while in the 90s some of their albums were pretty mediocre).

But their last album, 2009's Untitled #23 is quite stunning, not just their best album but some of the best music I've heard in a while.

They've never been consistent - for every 2 amazing tracks on any given album, there were always 2 that were actually quite terrible and this was balanced out by a few pretty good songs and another few "just ok" songs. But their last 3 or 4 albums have seen them getting more and more consistently brilliant. Still, even on this album there are 2 tracks I can't stand - however, the remaining 8 tracks are ALL great.

Also, picked up King Crimson's DTS 5.1 version of Red and I highly recommend it to any fans of that album. It is THE best version of that album, the songs have much more detail, clarity and depth than I've heard previously and the 5.1 mix isn't gimmicky at all - just sounds like the band is playing live in the room.

I have always liked the Church. I should check out their newer stuff.

Definitely check out their last four albums:

Untitled # 23
Uninvited Like The Clouds
Forget Yourelf
After Everything Now This

I was a fan of theirs from 1986's Heyday onward, but I only just recently picked up their first two albums, 1981's Of Skin And Heart and 1982's The Blurred Crusade and those are both excellent - they were a very different sounding band on those first few albums. Very energetic, melodic, "jangly" new wave rock than the darker, more atmospheric sound of later albums.

in 2005 they also released an excellent album of acoustic versions of previously released songs, sort of like a Church Unplugged. Called El Momento Descuidado (Spanish for, "The Unguarded Moment" the name of an earlier song). Worth picking up.

I've always liked "Unguarded Moment", all the way back to the MTV days. You ought to look into Steve Kilbey's side project, Hex. Hard to find (I haven't been lucky enough to land a copy, either), but supposedly well worth the search.

You ought to look into Steve Kilbey's side project, Hex. Hard to find (I haven't been lucky enough to land a copy, either), but supposedly well worth the search.

Cool, will look into it, thanks. BTW, emusic has all of Kilbey's solo albums.

Goin' 60s

Creation - Painter Man 1967

The Smoke - My Friend Jack

Herman's Hermits - No Milk Today

The Small Faces - Song Of The Baker - 1968

The Who - Summertime Blues (live,1969)

Lords - Poor Boy 1965

Status Quo - Pictures Of Matchstick Men

The Monkees - I'm a Believer

Led Zeppelin - Dazed and Confused

The Kinks - All day and all of the night

The Animals - House of the Rising Sun

The Equals - Baby, Come Back

The Archies - Sugar, Sugar (Original 1969 Music Video)

The Rolling Stones - Get off of my cloud

Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood - Can't Find My Way Home-Live At Royal Albert Hall

OK, here's an obscure one for y'all. A bit droney, but still quite enjoyable. Supposedly the "head guy" is a major prick, but what can ya do.

"Places You Call Home" by Mean Red Spiders

Back
Top Bottom