The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Question - what do you think about 'special edition' or 'anniversary' releases? I have mixed feelings - for example the Miles Davis 6-CD "Cellar Door Sessions" that shows the entire week Miles' group played at the Cellar Door in 1970 that was crammed into the dual CD "Live Evil" is just incredibly awesome. Others ... Full of out-takes and stuff that belonged on the cutting room floor.

So I was surprised to learn that a 'special edition' of one of my faves - Pat Metheny's "Secret Story" came out in 2007 for the 15th anniversary and added several songs to the already nearly 80 minute (on one CD) release! Here is one of the songs - it was cut from both a Pat Metheny Group album (Still Life Talking) and Secret Story ... And I see why, it just didn't fit but is a decent song - and is the only full-PMG recording done as part of the 'Secret Story' sessions and the last using that configuration of the band.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xEZAi99QCSE

I like special editions if they release archive material not previously available, like demo versions, dropped songs, instrumental versions, etc.

But I also enjoyed reading the History of Middle Earth books for insight into Tolkien's creative process. :)

Last edited:
En garde!

Gives me Stellaris vibes. Even if you don't play the game I highly recommend checking out the OST, composed by Andreas Waldetoft. It's simply amazing and even after playing 250 hours I still keep the OST on while playing rather than something else. This is one of my favourite

Yesterday I got "Return To Bangleonia", through Ebay, the one and only live DVD with The Bangles.
I was *very* happy, because it was almost new, still originally wrapped, it must have been sitting there somewhere unopened for nearly 10 years.

I guess she's one of the 72 deadly species down under. Or Nick Cave is.

pibbur who actually think this one is quite good.

Nick cave is amazing <3 though it isn't my favourite song it's probably his most widely known song

I used to listen to Nick Cave a lot years ago, the Good Son and From Her to Eternity are my two favourites. He's often got a more raw sound but I put Tom Waits in the same category - "we're chained to the world and we all gotta pull" being one of my fav song lyrics. Bone Machine is the album I like most.

As for dark and space there is Darkspace. All their albums are called "Dark" :D They are bit up the intensity scale from the songs mentioned above. They use a lot of heavy distortion so is best listened to turned up with headphones, not too loud, don't let some of the quiet starts lull you into thinking it's going to be a particularly calming experience, they're more akin to cenobites I think. This one even has a teeny Star Trek sample if that floats your boat.

Here's one from 2009 that's very mesmerizing to watch and listen to: White Swan.

Here's one from 2009 that's very mesmerizing to watch and listen to: White Swan.
Really good, haunting. (But unfortunately it - undeservedly - reminds me of "The Blob". Damn you, association parts of my cerebral cortex.)

But Lolly Jane Blue. Never heard about her, (them?) and I can't find much recent information online (or my googling skills are terrible).

EDIT: Actually I did find more info now, about "Jane Blue and the Hunters", which is represented on Bandcamp. Yay!

pibbur

Last edited:
girlfriend of mine turned me on to Apocalyptica - I thought I'd heard it all, but…. cello metal?

Actually finding it really good to work/paint to

Apocalyptica _reflections
There's also this one, which above all is funny:

Cello shredding, eh?

pibbur who never played and never will play the cello, because of his backlog.

Last edited:
Not too bad. I can see (or rather hear) it's qualities.

But I don't like it, it's definitely not for me.

pibbur who might like it if he ran it through an overdrive/fuzz thingy.

Somewhere Over The Rainbow
An absolute Epic version.
And, at the same time, here is to my faithfull dog companion who passed on today,after 14 summers. I hope he has gone above the rainbow...and all I can say is thank you for being my friend Tadeus Maximus. Live on you yellow crazy dog, hehe.

Back
Top Bottom